Boondocking in wawa

northlander

Found a nice article about the availability of "legal" off trail riding in Wawa this family day weekend. Thought there might be a thread about it here. Does anybody know the areas in question? the small map I have seen looks like it may just be the places along the groomed trail people have always rode "trespassed?" on anyway? Part of the Magpie? Another spot looks like maybe the old hydro trail towards halfway haven? Do we need to have guides to be legal or can we ride on our own? any info would be appreciated.  Heading up Wednesday to Northland then to Wawa Friday for Saturday/Sunday riding.Thanks.

As long as it's Crown Land, you're good to go. If you need to use OFSC trail to get there, you'll need a permit for that part. 95% of land in this area would be Crown land.

Family weekend "bring a friend" free permits ( just need to download). I have my yearly and others are new. Thanks for the info. Hope to see lots of people out enjoying the hospitality.

the easiest access for boondocking will be the hydroline from wawa to halfway, and the badlands off from the magpie all crown lands for the most part, no trespassing issues to speak of. cant give you my secret stashes :D

you guys wlll be fine, hope you have the wawa reservations already... this weekend is their snowfest and poker ride/run festivities... sponsored by jone's powersports and the wawa club/community. good luck, have fun, stay safe.

maybe next year if the D opens back up, you guys can ride the sleds from camp to wawa, instead of trailering up. Ski

Not as much crown land as you think maybe ( but I doubt you will be hassled) .....If you have a map that shows townships north of Sault . Starting in the west just south of Obatanga prov park a band of townships two deep north/ south and spreading east 8 townships wide is private land all the way to Manitowik Lake

So West  of Hwy 17 to east you have Keating, Legarde,Killins,Levesque,Knicely,Macaskill,Laliberte,Menzies. Leclair,Musquash (directly south of Dubreuiville ) Abotossaway,Corbiere, Aguonie, Cowie,Bird.

The town of HawkJunction is also surrounded by private Land townships, with Esquega,Fiddler, Issac,Manness and  Michano and for those that drive the trail from the Sault South of Hwy 101 these townships are private:

Naveau,Nebonaionquet, Redsky and Restoule. There are also a dozen or so townships halfway between Sault and Wawa that the trails probably cross at least one or two townships.

The funny part is most of these townships are owned by American investors primarily for the logging profits, fortunately this logging provides jobs for  locals in Dubreuiville and Wawa, so its not all bad when you see the trails bisected by logging industry once and awhile.

The funny part is most of these townships are owned by American investors primarily for the logging profits, fortunately this logging provides jobs for  locals in Dubreuiville and Wawa, so its not all bad when you see the trails bisected by logging industry once and awhile.

In the 90's the D from Ranger North up to the Crossover was all very remote. Had a WHOLE different feel to it when out there. But the early 2000's everything up to the

Bauparlant sure got "bisected"!

Still can git a little of that "remote" feel between the Bauparlant and the Crossover yet tho. (But bring your axe)

Here is the MNR crown land atlas link, this will show you all the crown land in Ontario. Any general use crown land you are fine to ride. It is always good to know you are not trespassing as being legal makes it more enjoyable. Not having to worry about a hassle makes a vacation much more fun. Hope this helps.

http://www.giscoeapp.lrc.gov.on.ca/web/MNR/NHLUPS/CLUPA/Viewer/Viewer.html

• 1 month later...

that is pretty cool I must say, ill be testing out some crown land next season forsure!

Archived