Trailer Advice

GeorgianBayGuy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the truck or trailer and truck combination would have a gross registered weight rating of more than 4500kgs , yes, both the tow vehicle and trailer will require the annual commercial safety sticker.

There is no need to register the license on the vehicle for a higher weight than the standard plate comes with (3000kgs) unless your trailer weight is going to exceded 2800kgs (6172 lbs). Once you excede this weight then the MTO counts the weight of the trailer against the registered weight of the trailer.

Registering a vehicle for a weight above 4500kg requires a CVOR and its additional requirements (daily logs, daily inspections, etc).

Clear as mud right?    lol

Easy rule is if you have dual axles on your trailer, you will need to safety both the trailer and tow vehicle. Nothing is required in licensing unless your trailer and its potential load will excede 2800kgs.

A single axle trailer with a 3500lbs rating or more would also put you in the safety both class.

The kicker to all this is that very few of the officers out there even understand the rules.

Here is a link with more detailed explanations.http://www.horttrades.com/mto---annual-truck-and-trailer-safety-inspections

Yup clear as mud is right.  That is the understanding I have as well.  The only additional info I have is when the trailer transmits to the ground less than 2800kg then tongue weight of the trailer is added to the registered weight of the truck.

logoLarge.gif siteNameEN.gif

banner_trucks.jpg
crumbHomeIcon.gif
Home > Trucks and Buses >Determining Registered Gross Weights for Trucks Towing Light Duty Trailers
Text size plusIcon.gif minusIcon.gif
Search searchIcon.gif  |  

Determining Registered Gross Weights for Trucks Towing Light Duty Trailers

The registered gross weight (RGW) determines the fee paid for truck licence plates. The truck's RGW is based on, and must be at least equal to the actual weight of the truck, or truck and trailer(s) and load(s). A trailer permit does not have a RGW. Generally the weight of a towed trailer(s) and its load are added to the RGW of the truck. Load includes the driver, passengers, fuel, equipment, tools, cargo, equipment, etc. carried in the truck and trailer.

The RGW is indicated on the right portion (plate portion) of a truck's ownership, to the right of "REG. GROSS WT" and is in kilograms (kg). One kilogram equals 2.204 pounds and one pound equals .4536 (kg).

"Truck" includes pickups and business type vans with truck licence plates. Farm plated trucks are subject to the same RGW rules.

The "Vehicle Permits Regulation", made under the Highway Traffic Act, provides an exemption for light trailers, specifically;

To determine how much an attached trailer transmits to the highway, and to determine how much a truck should be registered for:"where a trailer transmits to the highway a total weight of 2,800 kilograms (6,173 lb.) or less, that weight shall not be included in determining registered gross weight".

Weigh the trailer only, with the trailer attached to the truck.

Illustration One - Weight A

weight_a.gif

Weigh the truck only, with the trailer attached.

Illustration Two - Weight B

weight_b.gif

1. If the trailer weighs more than 2,800 kg (6,171 lb.);

Register the truck for at least the combined weight of the truck and trailer, weights A and B.

2. If the trailer weighs 2,800 kg (6,171 lb.) or less;

Register the truck for at least the weight of the truck (weight B), which includes trailer tongue weight. Weight transmitted directly to the ground, by the trailer, is not included in the RGW.

True. And even though it is unlikely to be weighed, this is where the uninformed get caught.

I bought an F350 Crewcab last fall and the dealer was a friend. Not thinking, he got me regular plates with the standard registered weight which is 3000 kg. The truck weighed more than 3200 kg empty. Now add a full load of adults, fuel and trailer tongue weight and the truck would be well over it's registered limit if I was pulled in to a scale.

I have since changed the registered weight to 4500 kg. The max allowed without a CVOR. But I'm sure there are many 3/4 and 1 ton trucks running down the road with 3000 kg plates.

I bought a single axle cargo trailer for those exact reasons. Half ton GMC Z71 with trailer is licensed for 3500 kg. The license fee is almost double, I think $140.00 or so. Yellow stickers yearly. No CVOR. I carry copies of the MTO regs in the truck too. Now what about if the trailer is homemade and has no GVWR on the tongue. This is where it gets really fun!!!!

apparently if it has permanent washroom.cooking and sleeping facilities it is exempt 

No exemptions for any toy hauler if it has a cargo door.If it only has a man door then you can't get much in it for cargo.The cargo section of the trailer trumps the living quarters.310T licence required for annual inspection.

No exemptions for any toy hauler if it has a cargo door.If it only has a man door then you can't get much in it for cargo.The cargo section of the trailer trumps the living quarters.310T licence required for annual inspection.

interesting I have a customer that was told by the MTO at the inspection station that he is not to stop there anymore as he does not need a sticker huge two level toy hauler too on a 1 ton duramax

Different  MTO officers seem to have different opinions.I quizzed the regional office in Barrie and the Head office in St.Catherines and was told that they had to be stickered.The dually has to be stickered on it's own.With my dually you even have to sticker a 2 bed snowmobile trailer because truck,trailer and load would be over 4600 kg

Different  MTO officers seem to have different opinions.I quizzed the regional office in Barrie and the Head office in St.Catherines and was told that they had to be stickered.The dually has to be stickered on it's own.With my dually you even have to sticker a 2 bed snowmobile trailer because truck,trailer and load would be over 4600 kg

I hate inconsistent 

This is what I have found as well. I tell my customers to add up the GVWR for tow vehicle and trailer, if it is over 10k lbs, everything needs an annual. I have some customers that have 2500 and 3500 pick ups that they have increased the GVWR on and the driver has to have a D licence minimum just to drive the truck empty, depending on OVL with trailer, and A is needed.

I have a 25' motorhome and pull a 26' enclosed behind it, and it is legal, does not require Annual's,  not right but falls under the laws.

I hate inconsistent 

Me too!Just look at all of the inconsistencies with the OPP and the interpretation of every day laws.Each enforcement sector within the government is the same way,and they have the power to put us out of business.

It's like playing Monopoly with my kids..................the rules keep changing.

Ok now here is a good one. If I slide a camper 1,500pds into the back of a truck 7,000 pds plus then it does not need to be inspected (becomes a motor home) and can tow a trailer that weighs up to 9,910 pds with neither needing an inspection and certification. Total weight of 18,400pds! 8348kgs

But if I have a truck that weighs 5,600pds pulling a trailer that weighs 3,500 pds for a total of 9,100 pds 4128kgs I need to be inspected for safety!

Makes sense to me and you wonder why the Police and the MTO are confused! Throw in a slide in camper with a trailer even heavier then your truck and slide in combined, weigh twice as much and become a menace to the highway. LOL!

VEHICLES AND TRAILERS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ANNUAL INSPECTIONS:

1. Motor homes. A truck while carrying a slide-in camper is a motor home.
  2. Camper trailers and house trailers. A livestock trailer with living accommodations is not a house trailer.
  3. Mobile homes or office trailers wider than 2.6 m (8.6") or longer than 11 m (36 ft).
  4. Trucks that weigh 4,500 kilograms or less while towing camper trailers, house trailers, devices or implements of husbandry such as farm wagons. NOTE: The trailer's tongue weight and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of an attached house or camper trailer is not added to the weight of the truck when determining the truck's weight.
  5. Trailers that weigh 4,500 kilograms or less while towed by a motor home.

The nice thing is my slide in camper in a homemade trailer is exempt!

Ok now here is a good one. If I slide a camper 1,500pds into the back of a truck 7,000 pds plus then it does not need to be inspected (becomes a motor home) and can tow a trailer that weighs up to 9,910 pds with neither needing an inspection and certification. Total weight of 18,400pds! 8348kgs

But if I have a truck that weighs 5,600pds pulling a trailer that weighs 3,500 pds for a total of 9,100 pds 4128kgs I need to be inspected for safety!

Makes sense to me and you wonder why the Police and the MTO are confused! Throw in a slide in camper with a trailer even heavier then your truck and slide in combined, weigh twice as much and become a menace to the highway. LOL!

VEHICLES AND TRAILERS THAT DO NOT REQUIRE ANNUAL INSPECTIONS:

1. Motor homes. A truck while carrying a slide-in camper is a motor home.
  2. Camper trailers and house trailers. A livestock trailer with living accommodations is not a house trailer.
  3. Mobile homes or office trailers wider than 2.6 m (8.6") or longer than 11 m (36 ft).
  4. Trucks that weigh 4,500 kilograms or less while towing camper trailers, house trailers, devices or implements of husbandry such as farm wagons. NOTE: The trailer's tongue weight and the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of an attached house or camper trailer is not added to the weight of the truck when determining the truck's weight.
  5. Trailers that weigh 4,500 kilograms or less while towed by a motor home.

The nice thing is my slide in camper in a homemade trailer is exempt!

The Province of Ontario is learning from the Saudis regarding laws that make sense. In Saudi it is now legal for a woman to drive a car provided

- she is over 30

- off the road by 8 pm

- and not wearing any makeup

Sounds a lot  like the logic used here regarding trailers and inspections

This example would not require a safety inspection (based on this info alone).

The combined weight would need to excede 4500kg.

I assume you mean that this combination would have a combined Registered gross weight exceding 4500 kgs.

The exemption for Recreational vehicles really is rediculous. My dad used to pull a 8500 lbs trailer (unloaded) with a 3/4 ton 2wd drive regular cab truck without any safety but yet if I towed my empty dual axle landscape trailer (which weight 1500 lbs) with my 1 ton truck, I am the one who is getting pulled over and hassled for paperwork.?

We should have a different license class to tow any trailer of significance.  Not sure what the criteria should be, but towing a 20 foot snowmobile trailer should not be allowed without some guidance/training/or test.  Imagine that an 17 year old teenager with a "G" licence can drive a motor home pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer without any additional training or testing.  Its scary!!

G

Any car, van or small truck or combination of vehicle and towed vehicle up to 11,000 kg provided the towed vehicle is not over 4,600 kg, but not,

1. a motorcycle or motor assisted bicycle;
  2. a bus carrying passengers; or
  3. an ambulance in the course of providing ambulance service as defined in the Ambulance Act.

Effective July 1, 2011:

A Recreational Vehicle towed by a pick up truck may exceed 4,600 kg. 

The Additional Info as of July 1, 2011

Effective July 1, 2011, you may now tow a Recreational Vehicle (RV) weighing more than 4,600 kg with a Class “G” driver’s licence if:

• The towing vehicle is a pick-up truck equipped with the manufacturer’s original box, with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) not exceeding 6,000 kg and equipped with no more than two axles and not being used for commercial purposes;
  • Combined weight of pick-up truck and RV does not exceed 11,000 kg total gross weight;
  • RV hitched to pick-up truck by means of a fifth wheel hitch assembly;
  • Only one towed vehicle in combination;
  • Pick-up truck and RV not equipped with air-brakes;
  • RV (towed RV) Transport Canada compliant and manufactured to CSA Z-240 or Recreation Vehicle Industry Association (of America) standards;
  • Floor space of RV is primarily living accommodations;
  • Operated by holder of full class G driver licence – holders of a graduated licence in the class G1 or G2 not eligible;
  • Compliant with all other Highway Traffic Act weights and dimensions requirements; and,
  • No other type of towed vehicle is eligible for this proposal.

Effective July 1, 2011, Ontario now allows operators of recreational vehicles (RV) to tow RV’s on a full Class G driver’s licence if the trailer weight exceeds 4,600 kg. Previously, operators of towed RVs required a Class A licence to operate their vehicles and trailers when the trailer weight exceeded 4,600 kg. This change will promote tourism and the overall RV experience in Ontario, as well as providing new opportunities for manufacturers.

AND ALSO:

Q10: What if the weight of the two trailers is not more than 4,600 kg?

If the weight of the two towed trailers is not more than 4,600 kg, the two towed trailers may be towed by a commercial motor vehicle such as a pick-up truck.

This example would not require a safety inspection (based on this info alone).

The combined weight would need to excede 4500kg.

I assume you mean that this combination would have a combined Registered gross weight exceding 4500 kgs.

The exemption for Recreational vehicles really is rediculous. My dad used to pull a 8500 lbs trailer (unloaded) with a 3/4 ton 2wd drive regular cab truck without any safety but yet if I towed my empty dual axle landscape trailer (which weight 1500 lbs) with my 1 ton truck, I am the one who is getting pulled over and hassled for paperwork.?

No I was talking actual weight the trailer has a GVWR of 3500kgs or 7,000pds. The truck is GVWR of near the same. So the weight capacity is well over but not the actual. The tongue in cheek point was that that same truck and trailer combo becomes exempt if you carry a slide in camper making the whole package much less stable on the road. In fact you could pull a 4,500 kg GVWR trailer by the laws with no safety with a truck and camper slide in. Makes no sense!

No I was talking actual weight the trailer has a GVWR of 3500kgs or 7,000pds. The truck is GVWR of near the same. So the weight capacity is well over but not the actual. The tongue in cheek point was that that same truck and trailer combo becomes exempt if you carry a slide in camper making the whole package much less stable on the road. In fact you could pull a 4,500 pound GVWR trailer by the laws with no safety with a truck and camper slide in. Makes no sense!

I get it.

My father used to pull a 8500 lbs (unloaded) 5th wheel trailer with his reg cab 2wd 3/4 ton pickup. No safety.

Mean while I had to safety both my truck and my 1500 lbs dual axle trailer (7000lbs GVWR) and I'm the one who is going to get yanked in to MTO spot check.

So I am checking my own math (my new GMC 4 x4 double cab truck and pulling my Kubota tractor on landscape trailer)

Curb weight of truck is 5323 lbs- In kilograms = 2419 kg

Typical payload incl passengers and box contents 800 lbs--In kilograms = 363 kg

trailer with Kubota BX2660 -In kilograms= 1111

TOTAL  3893 kilograms truck and trailer loaded

MTO requires inspections when truck and trailer over 4500 kg all in

So Not applicable ….I am under 4500kg

Is my thinking correct and I can drive by the MTO inspection stations (unless they pull me over then I show them this math and explain why I drove past MTO station)

Dam it I already see an error ....I did not add in the curb weight of the landscape trailer...which is 1072 kg.........so that makes my total 4965 kg

So do I now need to stop at all MTO weigh stations ?

Dam it I already see an error ....I did not add in the curb weight of the landscape trailer...which is 1072 kg.........so that makes my total 4965 kg

in theory yes

it is my understanding, and you should look into it, the only time you pull into an open MTO scale is if you are a commercial vehicle with a CVOR. I sometimes pull my race trailer with a duramax, well north of 10k lbs, and never stop at open scales. You should look into it because these laws seem to change all the time.

Archived