Almaguin Updates

Muskoka Man

We rode TOP D down from the D123 Jct (including the detour) to Sand Lake (Thur'), then south to the D101B on Fri'. Trails were in good shape.

Giddy Up, do you know if the TOP D detour east of Sundridge is permanent or just for this winter?

I am pretty sure it has something to do with logging in that area - I can find out more info as one of the ADSC Directors is a good friend of mine and will ask him tomorrow and report back ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am pretty sure it has something to do with logging in that area - I can find out more info as one of the ADSC Directors is a good friend of mine and will ask him tomorrow and report back ;)

Thanks, I'll pass that on to D Weese when I send him my GPS info from the trip.

Guys the detour I asked Giddy Up about reroutes around about 3 miles of logging in an area due east of the Sundridge/South River area. If you passing north or south on D, there is no road running. If you're coming north on D123 or heading south to D123, there is about 2 & a half miles of road running (snow covered on Thurs'). If you look @ the Dist' 11 map you'll see a distance marked "11.3". The north end of the detour starts just to the east of this figure & follows a radius clockwise south to the east/west portion of TOP D that intersects w/ D123.

This detour is unrelated to the "black hole" sledders have had to deal w/ the past few seasons in the Trout Creek/Powassan area. Looking @ the Dist' 11 map I guess to avoid the TOP D road running you take 700, to C110D, then D102C east to TOP D (the railbed). For us coming from the east it would've been out of our way. The road running was OK for us as there was sufficient snow cover.

So the detour is part of D trail only? We were going to head north on D trail up to C105d into South River and then come back down NN400 onto D123 tomorrow, so i take it we will be avoiding the road run?

The detour on Top D was only planned for this year, due to logging on private property. I was disappointed because the trail running alongside the North Magnetawan River was one of my favourites. However, the detour is a very nice stretch of trail and it shortens the road running by about half if you are heading north. It also alleviates the problem of the river flooding the trail, which has happened in he past. Either way, there is road running but it is normally plowed only, not sanded, and only becomes a concern late in the season.

Revrnd, sorry to disagree, but there is road running, but the road is not maintained to municipal type standards. Those familiar with Top D heading north may remember following the river (on your left) and coming out to the road. You made a hard right onto the road, and followed the road for about 7 kms north; then turned left onto the bush trail. Now, the detour brings you out on that road considerably north of the old trail. You actually follow the road south for about 4 kms; then make a right turn onto the bush trail.

The detour on Top D was only planned for this year, due to logging on private property. I was disappointed because the trail running alongside the North Magnetawan River was one of my favourites. However, the detour is a very nice stretch of trail and it shortens the road running by about half if you are heading north. It also alleviates the problem of the river flooding the trail, which has happened in he past. Either way, there is road running but it is normally plowed only, not sanded, and only becomes a concern late in the season.

Revrnd, sorry to disagree, but there is road running, but the road is not maintained to municipal type standards. Those familiar with Top D heading north may remember following the river (on your left) and coming out to the road. You made a hard right onto the road, and followed the road for about 7 kms north; then turned left onto the bush trail. Now, the detour brings you out on that road considerably north of the old trail. You actually follow the road south for about 4 kms; then make a right turn onto the bush trail.

Thanks for the clarification - I was about to post something similar :D ...saved me a bunch of typing! Cheers! :wavey:

How are the Kearney trails today Giddy ? might give them a try on tues or wed if there staying together

Hey MM - don't know about where you are atm...but snowing here in K-town for a few hours now....a few cms of fresh new snow will make the trails just a little sweeter tomorrow ;) I am feeling better today - so thinking about heading out for a short ride tomorrow - perhaps we will see you on the trails! I'm thinking about riding the 80's over towards Sprucedale tomorrow for a shorter loop :D Have a great ride!

Trails yesterday with that fresh snow made the trails mint.

I can't believe how great the trails are here ....so nice to be back in this area.

Nelly

We are here at the iron skillet having lunch. Pt Sydney to.Kearney trails are mint. Sunny and -1 might put up

A couple pics tonight if im not to.tired

Awesome trails today - 170kms - Kearney to South River for lunch and back :) All trails in Almaguin were groomed yesterday and last night - couldn't ask for better conditions at the moment - outstanding day! Rode the "detour" on D and actually prefer it to the old trail - hope they keep that that way ;) Will post pics soon!

D Trail north of Kearney :D

IMG-20130305-00189_zps6c7d0229.jpg

This is the road section that you need to run after D detour to connect to D north to South River or to the D123 - still lots of snow on the roads :D

IMG-20130305-00188_zpsc6307b50.jpg

Always fun to see these guys on the trip into South River

IMG-20130305-00185_zps21404f4c.jpg

nic pics Giddy ,Almaguin trails were definatly nice today , we ran up from Pt Sydney to the edgwater and back down the 300 series then down the 80 series west of Huntsville and back home ,270 ks of freshly groomed trails everywhere , the sides of the roads are getting to be thin ,the top of the trails were getting soft on the way back home , hope some cool nights keep the trails together

Hey MM! There seems to be a bit more snow north of Kearney so trails holding well - even with warmer temps today....thank goodness the sun didn't shine too much today - the clouds helped to keep it from melting too much. Heading to Sprucedale and the 80's tomorrow I think ;) Here's the 302 from Sand Lake back to Kearney at about 4:00PM today - one sweet ride for sure!!!

IMG-20130305-00192_zps42f3e247.jpg

one of the 80 series trails has some road running on it , I think its 85 ,not sure ,but stay away it is nasty it crosses a couple of little bridges , but all the rest of the 80,s rock ,we got up to +4 here and things were melting good ,maybe a couple runs left before the end , How is the neck ? is the wine working ?

Here is a couple from our run today

If red X appear use this link: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1utbx15oqvp8gk9/WQl3eOYQ5e?m#/

SAM_0588.JPG?w=AADBiQvb0tieF5o9ZeiGkQKyUMGSM5RfaBhnNtB3px4ftw&dl=1

SAM_0589.JPG?w=AABWpWgie8wBwmnNyPZzU97d1tYEA9P3TMJgU5jra4z1xA&dl=1

SAM_0592.JPG?w=AAC2W8CXoKoB4Rkm9EyDoQCRYXysYjttXYIR0fB-9Wkgrw&dl=1

SAM_0594.JPG?w=AACJle0dYbWCViO-fu7yWqQf8PT_R8iV7tz0UmUCCgCr6g&dl=1

SAM_0595.JPG?w=AADtAMjG1_QUMyqS0fLQbTkYluKeqbylwEUkybZdfy-Tvw&dl=1

SAM_0595.JPG?w=AADtAMjG1_QUMyqS0fLQbTkYluKeqbylwEUkybZdfy-Tvw&dl=1

SAM_0588.JPG?w=AADBiQvb0tieF5o9ZeiGkQKyUMGSM5RfaBhnNtB3px4ftw&dl=1

Nice Pics MM :D The neck is finally feeling better thank you! It must have been the vino that I was drinking for medicinal purposes only of course ;) Thanks for the "heads up" on the nasty bit of road riding on the 80's....definitely will avoid that one!

great pics...giddy & mm...keeping the dream alive...thx

one of the 80 series trails has some road running on it , I think its 85 ,not sure ,but stay away it is nasty it crosses a couple of little bridges , but all the rest of the 80,s rock ,we got up to +4 here and things were melting good

,maybe a couple runs left before the end , How

is the neck ? is the wine working ?

Plus 4? We only hit minus 1, in d5 today. Wired winter.

calling for +4and + 6 on the weekend here in muskoka ,stay away from road running , time to get out the fogging spray i think

Muskoka Man, I think you are right, we were hoping for one last ride this weekend but road running is almost impossible to avoid...

Just came back from 100km ride from Kearney - D West -83-86-D North back to Kearney (very little road running here) D was just groomed last night :D 83 needs to see a groomer :( - but it was a short ride - so it was bearable - all the other trails were outstanding! Still lots of snow in the bush. Snow getting sticky due to milder temps so steering a bit of a challenge. The Seguin was OUTSTANDING from Sprucedale to Kearney. A little road riding into Kearney on D - but not much and it's dooable for sure. Expecting a little snow to fall tonight - which would make things really good for a ride tomorrow. One last time maybe!

D Trail West from Kearney to Sprucedale

IMG-20130306-00193_zpsb271b973.jpg

D South of Sprucedale

IMG-20130306-00194_zps67e02c29.jpg

IMG-20130306-00195_zpse8641ffe.jpg

Just got back from 3 days riding out of Kearney. Trails were great! Only bad trail was the C trail north of the Jolly Roger. It hadn't been groomed for a few days. Got some awesome help from Suds on Main with a breakdown while in town. Great spot!

Lots of riding!

H73faqC.jpg

qTsnFL9.jpg

ruoqb3n.jpg

We figured it must have been due to a breakdown.

Well folks - looks like this "might" be it. Have had some great riding in this area over the past 3 days - all trails groomed to perfection and plenty of snow on the trails! Roads are now getting bare ...so the trick is to find the trails that have little to no road riding....the great thing is...there is some of that in this area :D Took the D East out of Kearney to the 101B to the 102 and back up again. Beautiful running and even passed the groomer leaving Kearney to groom those very trails again as we were heading into The Iron Skillet for a great lunch on the way back! Thank you to all the volunteers and the ADSC and Highland Rovers for all the hard work in keeping these trails A++ If this is the end of the season - I can honestly say we have had some of the best riding just in the last 3 days! Thank you!

9b2e2d86-3862-4336-99fe-bb4f995a295b_zpsa9a4f0c2.jpg

IMG-20130307-00200_zpsd76aed8a.jpg

IMG-20130307-00208_zpsbe317c5e.jpg

Archived