Kearney - Suds on Main

02Sled

It looked like it would be a good spot for a late lunch on Sunday. New building, a number of sleds parked out back. Went in to find a very limited menu but what the heck..., small town middle of winter... that's fine. Waitress drops off the menus and comes back. Me: I would like chili and my wife shepherds pie. Waitress: We are out of chili and shepherds pie could take up to 30 minutes is her answer. Me: What would you recommend that is quick? Waitress: The sandwiches are really good and quick. Me: Can we have two pulled pork sandwiches please. Me: 1 hour 10 mins later I ask if they are coming soon. People came in after us, have ordered and finished their meals already... Wiatress: All they had was chili which is quick. Me: You told me you were out of chili but you had it for the group of six after us. Waitress: She is plating your order now. Another 10 mins passes and we get the most pitiful pulled pork sandwiches on the planet for $9.50. A hamburger bun with a small leaf of lettuce, a slice of red onion and the smallest handful of pork chunks in BBQ sauce that barely hid the lettuce under it. Beside it a hand full of potatoe chips.

I have eaten in lots of small town winter sledding stops. I don't mind paying a reasonable premium in a small town but this is plain robbery. I will go hungry before I ever go there again. Horrible service and horrible food at an outrageous price. Just my experience and my opinion. Others may have a different experience and opinion but my recommendation...Beware.

It looked like it would be a good spot for a late lunch on Sunday. New building, a number of sleds parked out back. Went in to find a very limited menu but what the heck..., small town middle of winter... that's fine. Waitress drops off the menus and comes back. Me: I would like chili and my wife shepherds pie. Waitress: We are out of chili and shepherds pie could take up to 30 minutes is her answer. Me: What would you recommend that is quick? Waitress: The sandwiches are really good and quick. Me: Can we have two pulled pork sandwiches please. Me: 1 hour 10 mins later I ask if they are coming soon. People came in after us, have ordered and finished their meals already... Wiatress: All they had was chili which is quick. Me: You told me you were out of chili but you had it for the group of six after us. Waitress: She is plating your order now. Another 10 mins passes and we get the most pitiful pulled pork sandwiches on the planet for $9.50. A hamburger bun with a small leaf of lettuce, a slice of red onion and the smallest handful of pork chunks in BBQ sauce that barely hid the lettuce under it. Beside it a hand full of potatoe chips.

I have eaten in lots of small town winter sledding stops. I don't mind paying a reasonable premium in a small town but this is plain robbery. I will go hungry before I ever go there again. Horrible service and horrible food at an outrageous price. Just my experience and my opinion. Others may have a different experience and opinion but my recommendation...Beware.

Agreed 02!! We have had many complaints about this spot. It is unfortunate ...but I have heard that the Bistro which is right beside Suds on Main is going to be closing. The other option is the Kearney Legion...they have a "winter kitchen" but only open on weekends I believe...but the food is better....however, they also were out of Chili and Soup on Sunday afternoon. It has been an extremely busy time in our town due to lack of snow further south - so sled traffic has been very heavy!

FYI...there will be a New Restaurant opening in the near future (we hope). Hope it will be up and running for next year ;0) I will post information when it is ready.

thats is lousy...same people own edgewater too...don't think they would be to happy to hear that report...

thats is lousy...same people own edgewater too...don't think they would be to happy to hear that report...

I think somebody should mention it to them - maybe there would be an improvement! I am hesitant to send our "guests" there as many have complained about it.

edgewater food is crap now also, was in there 3 times and our meals were stone cold every time, crappy service, we always used to eat @ edgewater, now we go to silversands

i will mention to a friend of the owner...best i can do...sledjunk & i tried to get edgewater on board here...

How were the trails in Kearney yesterday Giddy ? we might try thurs for a ride , im sure Almaguin will have in back in order by then

Agreed 02!! We have had many complaints about this spot. It is unfortunate ...but I have heard that the Bistro which is right beside Suds on Main is going to be closing. The other option is the Kearney Legion...they have a "winter kitchen" but only open on weekends I believe...but the food is better....however, they also were out of Chili and Soup on Sunday afternoon. It has been an extremely busy time in our town due to lack of snow further south - so sled traffic has been very heavy!

FYI...there will be a New Restaurant opening in the near future (we hope). Hope it will be up and running for next year ;0) I will post information when it is ready.

Unfortunate.... It looked to be a nice place. We just saw a bunch of sleds parked and it appeared to be the only option. Sorry that the Bistro is closing. As we were leaving someone mentioned the Bistro to us. They had just eaten there and had a great experience. We had never been to Kearney before so it was all new to us. We had ridden from Hidden Valley. Trail 77 & 78 were rather rough and hadn't been groomed recently but the rest of the trail was great. While waiting for lunch we commented on how great the trails would have been during a normal year of snowfall and agreed to come back next year.... obviously next year will be a great season with lots of snow. I

How were the trails in Kearney yesterday Giddy ? we might try thurs for a ride , im sure Almaguin will have in back in order by then

Yesterday the trails were in bad shape due to the Very High Volume of traffic over the weekend. The ADSC club does an AMAZING job on the trail system - so I am sure that they have been groomed to perfection today and with the 10cms of new snow they are calling for between today and tomorrow - the trails should be awesome for this weekend :drool-1:

Unfortunate.... It looked to be a nice place. We just saw a bunch of sleds parked and it appeared to be the only option. Sorry that the Bistro is closing. As we were leaving someone mentioned the Bistro to us. They had just eaten there and had a great experience. We had never been to Kearney before so it was all new to us. We had ridden from Hidden Valley. Trail 77 & 78 were rather rough and hadn't been groomed recently but the rest of the trail was great. While waiting for lunch we commented on how great the trails would have been during a normal year of snowfall and agreed to come back next year.... obviously next year will be a great season with lots of snow. I

Kearney and the Almaguin Highlands usually have great snow and great conditions.....this weekend we saw extremely high volume of traffic due to the fact that it was Family Day weekend....AND....that we have more snow than further south atm. You should definitely come back to our area next year 02 - the trails in the Almaguin District are awesome!! I have a cottage that I rent in Kearney that you might consider for next time with your wife :) Then you can make your own meals and not worry about crappy service and food! LOL

• 2 weeks later...

we spent a weekend in kearney and ate here twice. service was slow friday night. got the sheppards pie and it took a while, maybe an hour like you said. it was great eating but possibly because i was starving by the time it came.

edit:

id definitely recommend staying at giddyup's cottage. i stayed with my wife and it was a fantastic family day weekend!

edgewater food is crap now also, was in there 3 times and our meals were stone cold every time, crappy service, we always used to eat @ edgewater, now we go to silversands

Ditto, Edgewater used to be "the" place to stop, not for us anymore, we always go to Whiskey Jacks now, good food, good service and friendly people! I just hope when they do sell that the next owners are as good! We were there for a late lunch last Saturday, it was packed but still served us in a reasonable amount of time.

never ate anywhere in Kearney, always went to sand lake.

The food and service is good in burks falls at the village pub too

Edgewater is a great place to stay. The new owners are very sled friendly and have up graded all of the cottages and built new motel rooms. Rooms are very comfortable, but lack telephone and tv service. They have set it up so your cell phone if bell will only work within there main building area. This was very annoying, especially with no phones in the room. Only ate there once and Thier food is good and the menu is very limited compared to sliversands. New owners so maybe they will improve in this area in the near future. Sliversands food Is amazing as the owner must have been a chief before. Really enjoyed the food there.

• 9 months later...

new restaurant in Kearney, opened across from Fetterley's Garage, the former location of the Corner snack shop which was never opened in winter. Now re-opened with new menu, new owners, The Kearney Trailside Cookhouse has full "chip truck" menu, but upscaled and now includes full take out roast dinners. All burgers are fresh made in the morning, fresh cut fries, poutine is curds from Quebec and roast gravy. A large heated wrapped deck as well as outdoor picnic area. Full, ready to go crock pots all day, with chili, soup, pasta dishes for the sledder in a hurry. Prices are family friendly and service is quick.

new restaurant in Kearney, opened across from Fetterley's Garage, the former location of the Corner snack shop which was never opened in winter. Now re-opened with new menu, new owners, The Kearney Trailside Cookhouse has full "chip truck" menu, but upscaled and now includes full take out roast dinners. All burgers are fresh made in the morning, fresh cut fries, poutine is curds from Quebec and roast gravy. A large heated wrapped deck as well as outdoor picnic area. Full, ready to go crock pots all day, with chili, soup, pasta dishes for the sledder in a hurry. Prices are family friendly and service is quick.

I can't wait to go for a ride in that area!

Yeah sounds good. More options are nice.

looking forward to trying them out

Great info and welcome to the forum. Thanks

Archived