Weather again

Viperules700

What a bad time to have a warm up. The poor pet ride could be wiped out. Was planning on going to hailburton and maybe now looking like that could be a waste of time. Any thoughts from where people are heading for the weekend?

Hey there Viperules700, how are you doing?. Were heading to Cochrane on saturday for our tour on into Quecbec. Were riding into Quebec Sunday and will be back in Cochrane either thursday or friday. I am really thinking we will not ride around here at all this year? What do you think. Never thought i would go to Cochrane 3 times this year. If things continue, we might head back up in march, make it a even 4..

The trails here in BB are iffy now , aliitle rain or warmth could be hard on whats left , the trails are already brownish in spots

That sucks to hear Muskoka Man, was thinking of taking to wife for a tour up in your neck of the woods the first or second weekend of March. Hope it holds and you get new snow by then.. Hate to call it quits after our big ride in Quebec. Always nice to get out for one more kick at the cat..

We are in a snow drought here too perfect sledding weather -4/-8c and sunny but we have not much snow

feb12thonthefloodway.jpg

Yesterday on the Floodway-above

last 2 are on the Red River about 60klicks north of Winnipeg

feb12ontheredriversun.jpg

Feb12ontheRED.jpg

Jay, the 1st pic reminds me of the fields near Earlton when the snow is low.

Yeah this year sucks big time.Not trailering this year so I guess I'm pooched.Going to have to siphon out last years gas ,and put in new stuff to store it!! :angry-smiley-005:

No point even putting the trail sticker on my windshield this year,guess it will look good on my wall..... :icon_cankick::icon_rant:

So what is it like in Huntsville area... We have booked into Hidden Valley for this long weekend. I need to cancel 4 days ahead or pay for one day. So I need to do it today. Best guess.... is it still worth going or is the riding going to be the pits?

Can't tell you about all the Huntsville trails. I have heard the trails around Deerhurst are toast! Trails in Haliburton are good, with some rough sections. Rode Boshkung, Hall's Hawk Lakes, Clear, Red Pine, Kenisis, Redstone yesterday and all were a fine. Super cold the last few nights, so the lakes have tightened up and there was a suitable amount of lube too. The forecast has changed from yesterday for this area. Gone from +4 on Friday to just +2 with a mix, instead of the 10mm or rain that was listed yesterday. Your call. Don't expect typical mid February conditions that's all.

I went through the Haliburton Forest yesterday on my lake run and there was well over three feet of snow up there once you step off the trail.

Hey Fred,

What about Bancroft, Barry's Bay, Combermere, Lake St. Peter, Whitney, Madawaska, ............ ?

Oddly enough I have plans for those areas too! Run the lakes to the TOP B, then sail up to Whitney/ Lake St. Peter.

Oddly enough I have plans for those areas too! Run the lakes to the TOP B, then sail up to Whitney/ Lake St. Peter.

Well, then, oddly enough, put your plans in place immediately ! From Whitney take a counter-clockwise loop through Bancroft, Combermere, Barry's Bay and around to Madawaska/Whitney. And then report back with a detailed post here immediately.

This is a trails conditions reporting forum. So do some trails conditions reporting dammitt ! You get to ride (win), and we get to read your report (win) ergo, in hackneyed parlance, a win/win.

Enough LollyGagging around. Get your Rear in Gear and do some trail reporting !

<sheesh! some peoples' kids>

Well, then, oddly enough, put your plans in place immediately ! From Whitney take a counter-clockwise loop through Bancroft, Combermere, Barry's Bay and around to Madawaska/Whitney. And then report back with a detailed post here immediately.

This is a trails conditions reporting forum. So do some trails conditions reporting dammitt ! You get to ride (win), and we get to read your report (win) ergo, in hackneyed parlance, a win/win.

Enough LollyGagging around. Get your Rear in Gear and do some trail reporting !

<sheesh! some peoples' kids>

apparently you got a bad batch of pickled eggs!

So what is it like in Huntsville area... We have booked into Hidden Valley for this long weekend. I need to cancel 4 days ahead or pay for one day. So I need to do it today. Best guess.... is it still worth going or is the riding going to be the pits?

Huntsville and south are starting to get pretty thin...and with a warm up will be tough going...especially the road sections of the trail. North of Huntsville definitely gets better ;) However, TWN appears to be calling for more snow than rain over the next few days

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caon0314?ref=topnav_homepage_savedcity

im heading to south river and sundridge and morth..better be good on sat sun.....crossing fingers

Gary if I was a betting man , I'd stay the course .. The Algonquinn dome is a different beast . http://www.algonquin-eco-watch.com/location.htm Both ASC and Tall pines will fair quite well I'd imagine along with Almaguin ..

When we see rain and warmth forecasted its our instinct to fear doom and gloom .. Trailer closer if you need to avoid the roads ..

In Haliburton, it can be as much as six inches different in snow yield from the south to the north and up at Haliburton Forest it can be a bigger difference!

hey 02, were doing Kearney tommorrow , i can let you know at the end of the day how the trails are in that area if that helps , as Im sure you would go north from huntsville

What a bad time to have a warm up. The poor pet ride could be wiped out. Was planning on going to hailburton and maybe now looking like that could be a waste of time. Any thoughts from where people are heading for the weekend?

Trails in Snowcrest area are still holding. Trying to stay positive as they have held up not too badley. We are at the high end of limited. Could almost go green but we'll hold at limited. The trails have survived so far with the up & down weather. Weather network report for Gravenhurst still does not look like a show stopper. It will definately be like early season riding conditions. Thursday will tell. If it sticks to snow rather than the rain & snow, we'll be ok.

High

(°C)

Low

(°C)

Conditions

Wednesday

Feb 15

Scattered flurries – Snow 4cm

Thursday

Feb 16

Mixed precip. – Snow 2cm – Rain 10mm

Friday

Feb 17

Scattered flurries – Snow 3cm

Saturday

Feb 18

Cloudy with sunny breaks

Sunday

Feb 19

Few flurries

Monday

Feb 20

Cloudy periods

hey 02, were doing Kearney tommorrow , i can let you know at the end of the day how the trails are in that area if that helps , as Im sure you would go north from huntsville

Appreciate whatever you can share... and yes the plan is to head north.... Looking forward to it as is the wife. At the end of Saturday she gets the massage at the spa then dinner in the dining room. Already has her meal selected. Sunday ride again and another spa session, manicure pedicure for this one I think then dinner again. Either way it's going to be an expensive weekend so I just hope the snow works out.

Snowing now here in BB, looks like the bit of rain forecasted is now mixed or just snow , you should be good , may try to post from phone at lunch , sometimes it doesnt co-operate and I want to run over it , dont laugh if there is grammer errors

Flurries in Apsley since last night.

For Fred & STG, and any others.

rode Bancroft/Whitney area last weekend - Wednes afternoon thru Sat. Don't think much will have changed since then. Started from Lake St. Peter each day. The bulk was good. Few rocks on some trails sticking out, some corners down to ice/rocks by the end of each day-given this winter to be expected.

Thurs. we were down to Paudash clubhouse and over to Coe Hill and then back-up. Getting a little thin in the south end. Otherwise very good

Fri. - up to Whitney and over to Golden Lake, went east of Barrys Bay through Wilno & Killaloe, very thin east of Barry's Bay. Come back across the top (B trail) and down to rail bed east of Madawaska. - few miles of plowed logging along B trail (any mild will make this worse). spoke to group that came up maple leaf/combemere way - said it was ok/good. - overall not bad day.

Sat. - over to Eagle Lake on E trail, then up to Whitney on B trail. - several rough sections for sure, few sections of plowed road. (lots of traffic-expected for a Sat.) - trail from Whitney back to Lake St. Peter was still surprisingly not bad late Saturday afternoon given the amount of Traffic.

Overall, hats off to Maple Leaf Snow Skimmers Club out of Lake St. Peter. they groomed every day we were there and their trails were in the best condition of those rode. (it does help that they seemed to have a little more snow than other areas)

sorry to say i was not so impressed with Haliburton trails - they need to get out more regularly, and many you talk too agree. not sure what is going on over there in the past several years?-15 years ago they were one of the best. It did seem as though there trails need more snow to be good-many rocks sticking out. some summer maintenance could help this.

Trails were in good shape today in Kearney, we did a 230 K loop , the 101 south towards Huntsville was good , all the 300 series were good also , the 700 series north of Sprucedale were awsome , Sprucedale hotel was packed , seen another burning sled on D east of the hotel , cops on site and the sled was still burning , if the rain stays away and people keep it cool in the corners things should stay together as the trails are soft in spots

Archived