C101F from Dalton to Dubreuilville

yamataz

C101F is from Chapleau to Timmins

TOP F is the trail between Dalton & Dubreuilville.

Last year we rode that trail in March and it was limited then also. It was fine and very ridable. Much of it is new trail and it is very twisty and it needs alot of snow to be good. I'm sure the groomer driver will chime in and give a full report. We will be riding that area the first week of March.

Last year we rode that trail in March and it was limited then also. It was fine and very ridable. Much of it is new trail and it is very twisty and it needs alot of snow to be good. I'm sure the groomer driver will chime in and give a full report. We will be riding that area the first week of March.

Yes, the Dalton to Missanabie stretch is pretty rugged. Sometimes what the clubs up north call limited, is more like open conditions in the south.

Oops! Thanks for clearing that up Revrnd about the trail number (name?) I agree, most of the time their Limited is our Great!. I was hoping to get some firsthand info from someone who has been there recently. (Or groomed recently, hint, hint) Thanks for the reply though. We'll be in that area next week, Tuesday and Wednesday.

We will be up there on tues as well but haven't decided on whether to go Dub to Hearst clockwise or Dub to Chapleau counterwise for our northern loop ride.Calculated mileage from revrnd's website would be 719 miles(thank you revrnd).Any suggestions would be welcomed.Wondering about counterclockwise because the eastern section may be really busy with family day weekend coming up.

We will be up there on tues as well but haven't decided on whether to go Dub to Hearst clockwise or Dub to Chapleau counterwise for our northern loop ride.Calculated mileage from revrnd's website would be 719 miles(thank you revrnd).Any suggestions would be welcomed.Wondering about counterclockwise because the eastern section may be really busy with family day weekend coming up.

Great! Maybe we'll see you around there. We're heading to Chapleau and Valentine Farms for Thursday night.

Just got back from the loop Dub to Dub. (Hornepayne,Hearst,Kap,SRF,Cochrane,Timmins,Foleyet,Chapleau,Missanabie)

The trails that are much more work......... F trail between Missanabie and Dalton (rough so go slow) The rest fast to Chapleau

(also watch for the hill the groomer got stuck on last Thursday night not far from Dog Lake west side)

C101F between Chapleau and Foleyet (better north towards Timmins)

The rest of the trails all the way around the loop are fast and easy going. For this reason I suggest running East to Timmins first and then the workout is done. Longer trips it does not matter, but we did it in 3 days and the last day was Timmins to Dub. 8:00am to 6:00pm (300+ miles) and it was a workout. Wolves had just taken a moose down just east of Dalton railroad crossing on the edge of the trail.

All great riding!

Yes, the Dalton to Missanabie stretch is pretty rugged. Sometimes what the clubs up north call limited, is more like open conditions in the south.

yup, we dont have the trail split up for the F, will need to change that for next year, the first part from Dubreuilville is great, it Could be posted as green, the rest from Missanabie to dalton is very twisty and hilly and we need to go out again so I posted it as limited.

Just got back from the loop Dub to Dub. (Hornepayne,Hearst,Kap,SRF,Cochrane,Timmins,Foleyet,Chapleau,Missanabie)

The trails that are much more work......... F trail between Missanabie and Dalton (rough so go slow) The rest fast to Chapleau

(also watch for the hill the groomer got stuck on last Thursday night not far from Dog Lake west side)

C101F between Chapleau and Foleyet (better north towards Timmins)

The rest of the trails all the way around the loop are fast and easy going. For this reason I suggest running East to Timmins first and then the workout is done. Longer trips it does not matter, but we did it in 3 days and the last day was Timmins to Dub. 8:00am to 6:00pm (300+ miles) and it was a workout. Wolves had just taken a moose down just east of Dalton railroad crossing on the edge of the trail.

All great riding!

we need to head out there but with the snow recenly coming down and heading out there gone for 2 days I firgure better to sacrafice 30km than 300kms of trail, we are trying to bring up the TS 110 but we where having problems with it so it was in the shop then we got it ready and now it the TM 130 that is in the shop so we need th TS 110 to do the 300kms around here while the 130 is in for repairs, now I the other night I noticed a new leak on one of the drag... agrrr will need to fix the drag before it heads out..... was supose to have a groomer op working full time but he only did a few shifts and now he found a new job...... so we are stuck with trying to scramble to to out grooming..... the guy fixing the groomer can only come in his spare time when hes off from work... hes doing a great job tho, glad we have him.

we need to head out there but with the snow recenly coming down and heading out there gone for 2 days I firgure better to sacrafice 30km than 300kms of trail, we are trying to bring up the TS 110 but we where having problems with it so it was in the shop then we got it ready and now it the TM 130 that is in the shop so we need th TS 110 to do the 300kms around here while the 130 is in for repairs, now I the other night I noticed a new leak on one of the drag... agrrr will need to fix the drag before it heads out..... was supose to have a groomer op working full time but he only did a few shifts and now he found a new job...... so we are stuck with trying to scramble to to out grooming..... the guy fixing the groomer can only come in his spare time when hes off from work... hes doing a great job tho, glad we have him.

do what you can do & the rest will fall into place, No has to kill them selfs for a trail to be open,

We are all in this together, I rode a trail 2 days ago that was just 1 pass, Chopped some hangers & did some brush work,

Its all part of the BIG PIC!!

Hope to get up to see you Luc, Looks like around the 27 at this point.

Keep up the good work!!

Rich

I understand that you have to get a second groomer over there (6hrs plus fuel one way just to get to Missanabie before grooming) and then you would have no backup for the majority of the trails!

It is only a 20 mile stretch and is not a problem to ride. Just need to take your time and be careful. Being on the other side of the lake really has been a problem since you stopped crossing the ice years ago.

As you said the F trail on the west sde of Dog Lake is great. ( just the hill the groomer was stuck on to watch for)

Keeping the majority of your trails in good condition plus that short connector stretch open for those who want to use it is the most logical.

I understand that you have to get a second groomer over there (6hrs plus fuel one way just to get to Missanabie before grooming) and then you would have no backup for the majority of the trails!

It is only a 20 mile stretch and is not a problem to ride. Just need to take your time and be careful. Being on the other side of the lake really has been a problem since you stopped crossing the ice years ago.

As you said the F trail on the west sde of Dog Lake is great. ( just the hill the groomer was stuck on to watch for)

Keeping the majority of your trails in good condition plus that short connector stretch open for those who want to use it is the most logical.

yup, if every one was like you guys and understand all this, its 30km vs over 300+kms so I had to take the decision...... how is the brush on the F scott I know you guys did a great job last time you guys where in there? did more come down with the freezing rain from last week? Did you take black fish lake on your wayback again last weekend? I think I'm going to push more for people to use that lake so it takes off some of the trafic off the trail, its easy to follow.... do you happend to have pictures of it? I should get some signs made up and show where the trail goes in and out. its been a Lonnnng time since I used it, you must save alot of time running it, I dont remeber how the trail at the southern part of black fish to the F how long it is and what shape it is.

Sorry for all the questions. lol

yup, if every one was like you guys and understand all this, its 30km vs over 300+kms so I had to take the decision...... how is the brush on the F scott I know you guys did a great job last time you guys where in there? did more come down with the freezing rain from last week? Did you take black fish lake on your wayback again last weekend? I think I'm going to push more for people to use that lake so it takes off some of the trafic off the trail, its easy to follow.... do you happend to have pictures of it? I should get some signs made up and show where the trail goes in and out. its been a Lonnnng time since I used it, you must save alot of time running it, I dont remeber how the trail at the southern part of black fish to the F how long it is and what shape it is.

Sorry for all the questions. lol

Hi Luc,

The ice storm did bend down lots of little trees. We were at the end of a full day and trying to get back to Dub to find a place to stay because we had not planned to come all the way. We cut a 3" tree off because it was hanging out in the center of the trail like a spear aimed south toward anyone riding and at about windshield high. All the others I saw went back up after I grabbed them to shake the snow off.

We did take the cut off. Not too many would know about it, but of course you do! We did not see the rest of the trail until past the new bridge. No bad stuff hanging at the north end, but it is a bit rough.

I tied some green plastic tape at the entrance from the lake and from the trail side. The lake is still a bit slushy in places, but our tracks go right to the trail. It took us about 2 hours to cut it open the first time and can use some more cutting to make it nice, but our sleds can go through and it cuts about 20 minutes off the trip. The trail is being used by locals now to ice fish. It can definetly use some TLC to make it nice to ride. Up on the trail end, it comes out where the "F Trail" signs are mounted on both sides of the trail.

The pictures I have, show the trail when we were brushing it! It was bad before we cut it open. A local had started to cut it open with a chain saw and quit. He must be the one using it now. I will try to send you some pictures.

Scott

Thanks for all the info guys.It would be nice if you could keep us updated on the F trail from Missinabi to Dalton.If you don't get to grooming or brushing it,will it still be passable without taking the shortcut on the lake.Not real comfortable about lakes that I don't know.

Thanks for all the info guys.It would be nice if you could keep us updated on the F trail from Missinabi to Dalton.If you don't get to grooming or brushing it,will it still be passable without taking the shortcut on the lake.Not real comfortable about lakes that I don't know.

I'm looking to have it done by next week if posible, but its still ok to pass just have to take it more slow thats all.

I'm looking to have it done by next week if posible, but its still ok to pass just have to take it more slow thats all.

This is what happens if you go thru that stretch of trail too fast.

post-19781-0-21270200-1328736022_thumb.jpg

yup, if every one was like you guys and understand all this, its 30km vs over 300+kms so I had to take the decision...... how is the brush on the F scott I know you guys did a great job last time you guys where in there? did more come down with the freezing rain from last week? Did you take black fish lake on your wayback again last weekend? I think I'm going to push more for people to use that lake so it takes off some of the trafic off the trail, its easy to follow.... do you happend to have pictures of it? I should get some signs made up and show where the trail goes in and out. its been a Lonnnng time since I used it, you must save alot of time running it, I dont remeber how the trail at the southern part of black fish to the F how long it is and what shape it is. Sorry for all the questions. lol

Luc,

How does someone save so much time by taking Blackfish Lake versus staying on the trail. It just looks like the trail parallels the lake? Is it because of the ruggedness of the terrain forcing you to slow down so much?

revrnd,by the looks of the picture that you just posted,if that is a tight and twisty trail then I will be in hillbilly heaven.That trail looks great to me considering some of the trails I have had my sled on.I do realize that lever on the right has more than 2 positions.

AC+YA that is all great infomation and thanks for helping out on the trails like you have.This appears to be a great trip for us.

CC, I was trying to stay on the outside of the corner. I guess I got a bit close to the "soft stuff" & got off the trail.

I've been thru that section several times since 2000 & it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. As Luc has posted, it's difficult to groom & @ times may need grooming. When our loops are usually over a thousand miles, it's a small portion of the trip.

Near the TOP D/F jct:

post-19781-0-85851700-1328739737_thumb.jpg

Trails like this more than make up for the odd rough spot. Luc should know whether this was on D or F. This was in '09 when we were riding from Wawa & heading to Kap'.

Luc,

How does someone save so much time by taking Blackfish Lake versus staying on the trail. It just looks like the trail parallels the lake? Is it because of the ruggedness of the terrain forcing you to slow down so much?

it helps you bypass some of the twisty sections that you have to ride slower, that lake is a safe lake.

CC, I was trying to stay on the outside of the corner. I guess I got a bit close to the "soft stuff" & got off the trail.

I've been thru that section several times since 2000 & it isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. As Luc has posted, it's difficult to groom & @ times may need grooming. When our loops are usually over a thousand miles, it's a small portion of the trip.

Near the TOP D/F jct:

post-19781-0-85851700-1328739737_thumb.jpg

Trails like this more than make up for the odd rough spot. Luc should know whether this was on D or F. This was in '09 when we were riding from Wawa & heading to Kap'.

thats on the D trail heading to dubreuilville, the D and F intersection is right at the top of the picture where you see more white, the F trail comes in from the right merge with the D the trail is like that allmost all the way to Dubreuilville.

Archived