CN Police Concerns

2bsledding

Snowcrest Riders had a visit today from a CN Constable. CN has serious concerns with snowmobiles running off of OFSC trails and crossing as well as running down or alongside CN Rail lines. The officer was quite nice to talk to and was not on a rant. He just wants people to be safe, and stay off rail line property.

This is not limited to just Gravenhurst. Snowcrest Riders have placed signage to keep people on the trails, and at times have put up barricades only to have sledders take them down and pass through anyway. This is how people get killed and then look to blame someone else. There are a lot of people such as families, friends, and the train operator, that are devastated when someone is killed by being foolish and taking such a risk.

CN Police on sleds have been in the area in previous years issuing charges of $125.00 to sledders who trespass. This also ruins the enjoyment of a day ride, when you and the people you are leading are stopped and charged.

Please spread the word to stay off Rail Lines property. Snowcrest Riders will be contacting the OFSC, to see if a short presentation by CN Police can be included at our next OFSC AGM.

Was up in Gravenhurst a on the 28th and saw that a snowmobile(s) had been running the rail line. Crazy and idotic.

Was up in Gravenhurst a on the 28th and saw that a snowmobile(s) had been running the rail line. Crazy and idotic.

Good post B2B. Sorry to hear that though. I really was hoping that people were a lot smarter than that.

Running a rail line on a sled or bike is crazy. I know a lot of hoggers (train engineers) and most have encountered this. They all say it scares the living crap out of them, all they can do is apply the brake and hit the horn, knowing full well if the sledder doesn't hear them, they'll be run over as there is no chance in h$ll they'll ever stop in time. Guess it's a real helpless feeling. Especially true on a main line, 60+ MPH. When crossing mainline tracks it can be tough to judge the train's speed, because of their large size. Best just to leave the tracks alone.

I notice that CN has also been running ads in the sled publications for a couple of years now, "Don't Put Your Life on Our Line".

For them to be spending Coin on awareness ads it must be a much bigger problem than I ever would have imagined.

• 2 weeks later...

Snowcrest Riders had a visit today from a CN Constable. CN has serious concerns with snowmobiles running off of OFSC trails and crossing as well as running down or alongside CN Rail lines. The officer was quite nice to talk to and was not on a rant. He just wants people to be safe, and stay off rail line property.

This is not limited to just Gravenhurst. Snowcrest Riders have placed signage to keep people on the trails, and at times have put up barricades only to have sledders take them down and pass through anyway. This is how people get killed and then look to blame someone else. There are a lot of people such as families, friends, and the train operator, that are devastated when someone is killed by being foolish and taking such a risk.

CN Police on sleds have been in the area in previous years issuing charges of $125.00 to sledders who trespass. This also ruins the enjoyment of a day ride, when you and the people you are leading are stopped and charged.

Please spread the word to stay off Rail Lines property. Snowcrest Riders will be contacting the OFSC, to see if a short presentation by CN Police can be included at our next OFSC AGM.

Seems some people don't get it. I drove past the CN rail line near Shoppers Drug Mart in Gravenhurst today. CN had 2 sleds stopped and were writing tickets. Went by 15 minutes later, and they had 2 different sleds stopped, and the ticket book out again. Also, saw 2 other sleds riding the rail line but they saw the CN police ahead and hopped off the line. Hopefully by providing these 4 sledders with tickets it may make them think twice next time and actually save their lives.

You have to wonder what is wrong with people these days. I am just watching the news about a truck nose in the water on Lake Simcoe, apparently there was also kids in the truck. Will it ever stop?????"

The rail line is being used so much that people are thinking it is the actual trail.

Some people are just plain stupid and no matter how hard you try you can't unteach stupid.

Some people are just plain stupid and no matter how hard you try you can't unteach stupid.

I find it hilarious that everyone uses that same line. Who are the stupid people then? :D

To err is human. Everyone makes stupid mistakes. If we each make one mistake every 10 years, that works out to 2 million mistakes being made each day. We are all one of the stupid ones.

I find it hilarious that everyone uses that same line. Who are the stupid people then? :D

To err is human. Everyone makes stupid mistakes. If we each make one mistake every 10 years, that works out to 2 million mistakes being made each day. We are all one of the stupid ones.

Speak for yourself! LOL!

To make an honest mistake is one thing but some are just plain dumb. Riding down an abandoned rail bed that doesn't have ties or tracks is reasonably safe to assume it could be a trail. Riding along between two shiny steel rails with ties in place is a tough one to not realize... maybe I shouldn't be here. When you make an honest mistake and learn from it then you're not stupid. When you make a stupid mistake and learn from it you're still not stupid. When you keep making stupid decisions and don't learn from it.... then yes you are just plain stupid. In Toronto the police headquarters were on the north west corner of an intersection on Jarvis St. On the south west corner of the same intersection was the Royal Bank. Tell me the guy who tries to rob the bank, directly across a side street from Toronto Police Headquarters with cruisers parked everywhere is not stupid.

To make an honest mistake is one thing but some are just plain dumb.

That is loaded with bias. I feel people who have their computers constantly loaded up with obvious viruses and spyware appear stupid on the same order as robbing a bank with cops standing right there are stupid, but in reality, they are normal functioning members of society. We say those who trespass on closed trails are stupid, but in reality, hopping onto your neighbours farm for a spin is normal activity around here, as it is in most rural areas.

• 10 months later...

Vistors in gravenhurst that stay at the HO.JOS. use this short cut to acess the trail system in town only.

they are not running along the rail lines, but appearently its CN property.

The problem is rail lines cross through town and you have to cross over them.

In order to stay off the roads of Gravenhurst, this is a safe and easy route to snowmobile.

The CN police are concerned about damage to CN property, and

about sleds crossing over the rails rather than the wood grade crossing area.

Thats the real message the CN Police are saying.

I know, I talked to the CN Police. Im one of the vistors that respect property, people, and police

45 YRS of riding,I dont think Im going to take any risks with trains.

The HOJOS offers sledders winter rates which lowers the cost of this very expensive hobby.

The local club in town can respect the sledders that stay for the weekend, and some weekends its sold out.

Hey Checkmark! Welcome to the board. I did hear something about this last year. How far is the nearest road crossing?

I think the real message is to keep safe and that crossing rail lines in areas not designed/meant for crossing is a safety hazard.

The local club and CN will bear the legal wrath.

CN Police have the ability to fine you when on their property. So be warned, if it doesn't cost you an arm or a leg, it could cost you an arm and a leg in fines.

CN is really bumping up security this year, I had to be completley retrained and certified to access CN Rail lines to gain access to our fiber cables, this included a complete RCMP Background Check and all.

This is not just sledding issue folks.

Wonder if they are taking a more serious approach to the transportation of high hazard goods and such along rail corridors and as a result stepping up security?

I think the real message is to keep safe and that crossing rail lines in areas not designed/meant for crossing is a safety hazard.

The local club and CN will bear the legal wrath.

CN Police have the ability to fine you when on their property. So be warned, if it doesn't cost you an arm or a leg, it could cost you an arm and a leg in fines.

Railway tresspass is not regular trespass it is a federal charge that could affect your ability to cross any borders . Too many have been killed it is tramatic for the train crew and costly for the railway.

Plain and simple stay off of the corridor

Sledders here go down the tracks to get to the trail too. Real stupid I tell yeah.

CN is really bumping up security this year, I had to be completley retrained and certified to access CN Rail lines to gain access to our fiber cables, this included a complete RCMP Background Check and all.

This is not just sledding issue folks.

You are not trainable, however, I do believe you are certifiable!!

They need to justify having Crown Vic Police Interceptors...

The D Trail has a railroad crossing where the trail crosses over the tracks between Gravenhurst and Bracebridge.

The little town of Bala has many railroad and trail crossings areas .Ive never seen any CN police except Gravenhurst.

Its easy pickins, they got ya.There gonna make you pay if you cross the tracks or ride on CN property.

Ive never seen them untill last year, and we wernt riding down the tracks, just crossing them.

Maybe a club representive could some how negotiate some sort of a simple settlement.

Safer Sleddin is what were all about. C-mon snow.

I know of trails that cross tracks. Some of them are at standard crossings for people and cars but I can think of two where CN has actually put down the timbers to allow for sleds crossing the tracks. You know the did it for sleds since there isn't any other use in the middle of nowhere. I think their real problem is the guy running along the rail line tracks not crossing them.

Archived