Why are you sore after a couple days riding?

Fred Quimby

Hey Fred.. Thanks, good read.....

Studies Reveal Physical Benefits of Snowmobiling

As if you needed another excuse to get out and ride, York University in Toronto Canada released a study highlighting the physical and physiological benefits of riding a snowmobile or other Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV).

The study titled, “The Fitness and Health Benefits of Recreational Off-Road Vehicle Riding,” concluded in late 2010 that under typical conditions for recreational riders, between 14-38 percent of an OHV ride reaches the intensity required for achieving aerobic fitness in addition to a multitude of other benefits.

OHV riding “conforms to the recommended physical activity guidelines and can be effective for achieving beneficial changes in health and fitness,” the study concludes.

To current riders, it is no secret that snowmobiling has the potential to be an active and energetic sport, but the benefits don’t stop there. Of the 128 riders who participated in the study, their heart rate, oxygen consumption, muscular involvement, and rate of exertion were observed and recorded. Conclusions from these physical demands found that OHV riding falls into the moderate intensity activity level, enhancing muscular endurance, strengthening oxygen consumption, and stimulates aerobic fitness.

In addition to the physical development benefits, York University’s findings also determined positive social effects of riding. OHV riding may reduce stress and enhance a rider’s quality of life.

How great to know that snowmobiling is not just for fun anymore! While other individuals are hibernating and staying away from the cold weather, strap on your snow goggles, rev up that engine, and smile through your helmet knowing that you won’t be putting on those winter pounds.

You are not sore 'cause there is no snow to ride on! Remember it is your fault! Lol!

i rode all of last weekend 180 miles to be exact,and it was rather awsome...going again next weekend.......maybe the curse is true after we left sunday,....it started to rain...oooops ...sorry burks falls!!!ha ha

I wore a fitness monitor one day while riding a couple years ago. I was surprised after a four hour ride I had burned almost 3000 calories and was in the 65-75% target heart rate range over 70% of the ride time. That is riding fairly aggressive not putting along. There are variables to consider too. You work a lot harder on a rough trail than rolling down a smooth ribbon. I thought it was interesting.Then all those calories you burn get put back on with a belly full of beer and wings that night.

We do cross fit training twice a week so after my first time out sat I felt pretty good. For decent cardio snowmobiling won't do it for you but it's better then sitting on your ass at home all day long.

We do cross fit training twice a week so after my first time out sat I felt pretty good. For decent cardio snowmobiling won't do it for you but it's better then sitting on your ass at home all day long.

No..it's not a cardio workout really. There is some cardio benefit when you increase heart rate into the 70% range, but it usually isn't sustained long enough. However, you are in a fat burning range for quite awhile so that is a bonus. Plus it is another excuse to ride!

I feel the burn this year :(

Little lazy this year with pre-season workouts and I'm still felling Saturday's 100km run in the top of my legs. Guess I should start using the gym membership I pay every month.

I feel the burn this year :(

Little lazy this year with pre-season workouts and I'm still felling Saturday's 100km run in the top of my legs. Guess I should start using the gym membership I pay every month.

The burn is a good thing. You are using muscle power. Just think of how many muscle groups you use in sledding? Forearms, biceps. triceps. chest, shoulders, upper back, lower back, quads.... a good fairly aggressive ride is a darn good work out. I am not talking being a speed demon or throttle jockey, but really working the turns, and up and down on the seat, using your legs to pin yourself to the sled.

did 200 k or so this weekend with the new 9.25" risor on the ape, forearms still sore but back never really bugged me at all whitch is what i was hoping for

did 200 k or so this weekend with the new 9.25" risor on the ape, forearms still sore but back never really bugged me at all whitch is what i was hoping for

Nice to protect the back! That is a sore nobody wants!

Nice to protect the back! That is a sore nobody wants!

No kidding! I do find that the TekVest offers a lot of support for my back though.

Is this thread about sledding ?

I know!!!! You saw riser and ape and everything went out of focus after that.

I know!!!! You saw riser and ape and everything went out of focus after that.

And this !

The burn is a good thing. You are using muscle power. Just think of how many muscle groups you use? Forearms, biceps. triceps. chest, shoulders, upper back, lower back, quads.... a good fairly aggressive ride is a darn good work out. I am not talking being a speed demon, but really working the turns, and up and down on the seat, using your legs to pin yourself.

WOW !!

Even the title of the thread !

And this !

The burn is a good thing. You are using muscle power. Just think of how many muscle groups you use? Forearms, biceps. triceps. chest, shoulders, upper back, lower back, quads.... a good fairly aggressive ride is a darn good work out. I am not talking being a speed demon, but really working the turns, and up and down on the seat, using your legs to pin yourself.

WOW !!

You make it sound like sex used to!

The burn is a good thing. You are using muscle power. Just think of how many muscle groups you use in sledding? Forearms, biceps. triceps. chest, shoulders, upper back, lower back, quads.... a good fairly aggressive ride is a darn good work out. I am not talking being a speed demon or throttle jockey, but really working the turns, and up and down on the seat, using your legs to pin yourself to the sled.

Stop spoiling my fun.

I did it for 2 years. My Mom has been going for 5

And this !

WOW !!

I am telling you to stay away from the "little treats" people leave you. They contain warfarin and it is slowly killing you! It messes up your blood flow and you will bleed out. It starts with the brain!

I am telling you to stay away from the "little treats" people leave you. They contain warfarin and it is slowly killing you! It messes up your blood flow and you will bleed out. It starts with the brain!

sshhhhhhhhhhhhhh !

Calm down Fred, I think he's referring to cross-training.

Okay...I was thinking of something waaaaay different. Bad vision.

where is this going

post-19730-0-04165100-1327675358_thumb.png

Archived