Macleans Magazine

XTC500

Just picked up the Jan.16th issue of Macleans Magazine. The cover story, "99 Really Stupid Things The Government Did With Your Money" caught my eye. What do you think stupid thing #2 was?

2 Snow job: In 2011 the federal government unleashed a blizzard of funds on Quebec snowmobile clubs—nine groups received a windfall of at least $1.5 million. Over the past three years Stephen Harper’s government has pumped $6 million into Quebec snowmobile clubs. Not to be outdone, the province of Ontario set aside $500,000 for loop trails of its own.

The whole article is here:

http://www2.macleans...ith-your-money/

This doesn't improve the general public's perception of snowmobilers!

Well we are a have not province...And the Canadian governement gave $0 to Ontario.. As I read it, the Ontario goernment gave us the money...

Thanks for posting this, I will move it to the main clubhouse for more people to see.. This is most definately snowmobile related...

I asked a long time ago if the OFSC had a lobbiest in Ottawa (and was told we do and he is a paid).. Well, I think it's about time to get someone in Ottawa that can get us some money from the Canadian government.. $0 is a fail.. next

Funny you should mention that Maclean's article.

I received that issue, for free, mailed in a Roger's envelope.

All sorts of BS articles about spending inside, and then I wondered:

How much does government give Rogers?

For magazines (to further Canadian literature);

and then lets' not forget that the Ont. gov't sold Skydome to Maclean's (ok, Rogers) for $475 million less than it cost to build...

So, keep up with the lists Rogers. It will catch up to you soon.

<end of rant>

I wonder if Rogers has a snowmobiling lobbiest in Ottawa.....

Selling something for $475 million less than it costs can only happen if the government officials where bought off (and sold us out)... NO ONE!!!!! Sells anything for $475 million less than it costs.. ever.. well in Ontario but that's only because we're a mini US now..

A POX on Rogers!

I've had a hate on them since their negative billing fiasco. You wouldn't have believed the people that were lined up just @ their Oshawa office to tell them to stick their extra channels somewhere. That office is probably gone now, so if the same thing happened today, you'd spend half a day in voice mail hell trying to get the channels off your bill.

You would never have known there was a professional lobbiest for the OFSC! You never see results, you never see press releases, media coverage, announcements. What a load of malarky. If the OFSC is paying somebody, then they better get their money back. The OFSC needs clout, they need image, they need to see the face of snowmobiling. They need to see Groomer Guy ram his groomer right up the front steps and plow down McGuilty.

Seriously, they OFSC has no public image. Their brand and logo are bland, there is no affiliation, and there is just no power in anything they are doing.

I wonder if Rogers has a snowmobiling lobbiest in Ottawa.....

Selling something for $475 million less than it costs can only happen if the government officials where bought off (and sold us out)... NO ONE!!!!! Sells anything for $475 million less than it costs.. ever.. well in Ontario but that's only because we're a mini US now..

That was based on the 1989 build cost too, was not adjusted for today's prices. So I'd bet it's closer to $700million, but whats a few million between friends

But if your going to hate, hate on them all, Mike Harris sold the 407 on a 99 year lease for 3.1 billion when it cost 2.98billion to built it, as well as Bruce Nuclear that he rented out for 30 years, and agreed to pay for the restart at the same time.

The 407 is a sore one! That SOB. We paid for it, he leases it to a private consortium who make a ton of dough on it and use the OPP to police it. We still are paying the original build costs.

You would never have known there was a professional lobbiest for the OFSC! You never see results, you never see press releases, media coverage, announcements. What a load of malarky. If the OFSC is paying somebody, then they better get their money back. The OFSC needs clout, they need image, they need to see the face of snowmobiling. They need to see Groomer Guy ram his groomer right up the front steps and plow down McGuilty.

Seriously, they OFSC has no public image. Their brand and logo are bland, there is no affiliation, and there is just no power in anything they are doing.

Fred why don't you tell us how you really feel.

I do, each and everyone of them.. They are all owned (bought) by the corporations...Sickening!!!!!

Yes your right on that one, and it's only going to be worse.

Yes your right on that one, and it's only going to be worse.

Maybe for them... There is (and has been for a longtime) a financial war being fought in the shadows.... I have a feeling things are gonna change quickly, time to start popping the corn... The parade is about to start :)

I wonder what the "market value" of Skydome was at the time Rogers purchased it? If I recall it had been in trouble and the solution was its sale.

Don't forget the old days of Ma Bell. Long distance charges to call your neighbor, increasing the cost of you home phone, 70% profit!

Ted Rogers was one of the first to be successful at going head to head with Bell in the early days of cellular. Competition has been good, although we still pay some of the highest prices.

Point being, good or bad, there is usually more to the story....

Point being, good or bad, there is usually more to the story....

Agreed.. It always involves secret closed door meeting between international bankers, international corporations and bought politicians (ie. The G20 Summit robbery) and they always make the best deal possible (changing laws if they have to) for themselves and screwing us each and everytime..... imo of course.. I'd say history will tell the truth but that isn't true either lol....

In 2009 Harper got an award from CCOSC for giving $25M for the national trails system. What did OFSC do with it's share? To get the infrastructure money for groomers Quebec had to ask for the money and present a good business case (tourism jobs etc.). I don't recall an uproar when OFSC was turned down. Did we even ask? :icon_doh:

bought politicians (ie. The G20 Summit robbery) and they always make the best deal possible

Did any of Two-Tiered Tony's G8 money help the MSR or PSSD?

In 2009 Harper got an award from CCOSC for giving $25M for the national trails system. What did OFSC do with it's share? To get the infrastructure money for groomers Quebec had to ask for the money and present a good business case (tourism jobs etc.). I don't recall an uproar when OFSC was turned down. Did we even ask? :icon_doh:

We talked about it here... http://ontarioconditions.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8223-feds-shovel-snowmobile-cash-at-quebec/page__p__88788__hl__lobbyist__fromsearch__1#entry88788

And we where told we have a man in Ottawa.... We need someone else apparantly...

Nope.. The money went straight into their own pockets and the pockets of their friends....

Minus the cost of a gazebo. :lmao:

I don't know much about Quebec, but what we do know is that the $500,000 "snowjob" from Ontario is just a tiny fraction of the income the province receives from snowmobiling. $500K is cheap insurance to keep that income flowing.

Makes you wonder about the real story behind the rest of them...

I don't know much about Quebec, but what we do know is that the $500,000 "snowjob" from Ontario is just a tiny fraction of the income the province receives from snowmobiling. $500K is cheap insurance to keep that income flowing.

Reminds me of an announcement back in the early 80s about the gov't giving the OFSC that amount. I was talking to a friend about it & she called BS on it. She said, "Figure out how much we pay for the val tags & the number of sleds in the province". It wasn't hard to figure out the OFSC was getting scammed & the MTO was holding back most of the money collected from sled registrations. I'm pretty sure this was before trail permits were introduced (days of the OFSC & OTBA).

The article doesn't mention the $3M that the OFSC receives annually from the province. I guess, in the framework of the article, at least, that is a good thing.

I am getting a little tired of the constant bitching about how hard done by we Canadians are because we get Winter and how this has been 'great' winter. Tell that to the people like Kelly (3 Bears) and the myriad of other like her who find their livelihoods dried up by this winter. :mad::argh:

I am getting a little tired of the constant bitching about how hard done by we Canadians are because we get Winter and how this has been 'great' winter. Tell that to the people like Kelly (3 Bears) and the myriad of other like her who find their livelihoods dried up by this winter. :mad::argh:

X 1,000,000

I'm surprised I never heard on TV "well at least we don't have to shovel it" in reference to the rain yesterday.

People "say" they're concerned about climate change/global warming, but enjoy the fact that we're having a winter w/ above average temperatures. You can't have it both ways.

"it's going to be chilly today with a high of -3* C". Suck it up princess!.

The article doesn't mention the $3M that the OFSC receives annually from the province. I guess, in the framework of the article, at least, that is a good thing.

Lets not forget the plow operators too!

Lets not forget the plow operators too!

Around here they get their mileage whether there's snow on the ground or not.

Archived