Newby looking for nice trail to break in sleb and body!

DaveTess

Hello Everyone

My wife and I have just started following this site and have just registered this morning. Great information and topics.

We purchased a new 2011 RS Venture back in November. Our questin is this, we know this is a little unusual year for weather and the OFSC page show's mainly yellow trails accept for the north. We assume that the yellow trails are alright to ride.

We are looking for any suggestions that would allow us to go out on our maden voyage ?

We are out of the Alliston area but have now problem with a two or three hour or more drive if need be. We would just like something to gently break in the new machine and ourselfs with worrying to much about trail conditions. We would also need to have a legal place to park and start from. The maps seem to show limited trailer parking spots. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As we said we're brand new and have been waiting as all you have for the snow. Any suggestions would be great.

Dave and Tess

my guess is that there will be a fair bit of colour change today/tonight on the OFSC site. I can't give any first hand trail reports because i have not been out as of yet. (hopefully next weekend)

I would look for an area that has lots of forest access roads and old rail beds. They don't need a lot of snow and you don't have to worry much about swamp crossings, etc. The bush trails still need more snow and ice conditions are likely not very good.

The Bancroft area would be my choice right now-and head north towards Whitney. Just past Lake St. Peter there are lots of forest roads and some small loops. There are lots of places to park in and near Bancroft.

Have Fun!

Welcome to OC.com Dave and Tess....I would say after these weekend u will be hearding accurate trail reports from the area's close by that are limited(yellow).Sorry I cannt help will your area or close by but I sure somebody will have a update pretty soon.

Btw...Weclome back to the sport...was doing some reading eleswhere.. ;-)

First off, welcome to the forum. There is lots of information and fun available here. Hope you visit and post often.

I have booked at the Edgewater http://edgewaterparklodge.on.ca in Almaguin Highlands for a ride tomorrow and Sunday. You are welcome to join me for a ride, if you wish. Maybe call the lodge and see if you can drop your vehicle there for the day.

PM me if you are interested.

welcome to the forum. I live in Beeton so not too far from you. Trails in the Alliston area last year were a lot of fun. Did not have to travel too far to get to the trails. As for legal places to park, check the snowmobile websites of the area you will be travelling to. They usually will let you know where you can park. Once the trails open in Alliston let me know and maybe we can hook up for a ride.

Small town arena parking lots near a trail are usually OK for day parking

The rail line from Fenlon to Haliburton are listed as open and limited. Be a good start, the rail bed will avoid any rocks or ruts. Drop in Fenlon by the fairgrounds and head up to Haliburton and back be a nice ride.

The rail line from Fenlon to Haliburton are listed as open and limited. Be a good start, the rail bed will avoid any rocks or ruts. Drop in Fenlon by the fairgrounds and head up to Haliburton and back be a nice ride.

This is a great newbie ride. Might be busy as it is one of a few trails open. Mc Kecks is a good lunch stop in Haliburton. Enjoy!

You are welcome to join me for a ride, if you wish. Maybe call the lodge and see if you can drop your vehicle there for the day.

PM me if you are interested.

Next, he'll be offering to share his room ! I'm not sure if his probation officer is aware of his internet posting or if the restraining order allows for sled 'hookups' at winter lodgers but if there is any mention of long walks on the beach at night I'd take a conservative positon if i were you.

Welcome to the Forum. Our motto is : "not all of us will stalk you"

ENJOY !

Hello Everyone

Well we made our maiden voyage yesterday. Went to Edge Water Park Lodge and started from there. First off let us thank Sherri and her husband for their hospitality and allowing us to park there and start our journey. Did a small loop of just over 85km's hitting trails AL303 to D to AL300, a little ruff, to D123 to AL305 to AL302 and back to the lodge. For a newby the trails seemed to be great.

During our journey we met up with Dave, SledJunk and a friend Brian. These two gentlement stepped to the plate to fall back occasionally and make sure we were okay as they new it was the maiden voyage. Thanks so much.

After getting back we enjiyed a great lunch with some new friends and headed home. Just wanted to thank everyone involved for the great day.

Looking at the above posts about the Fenlon Fall to Haliburtn run Tess and I have planned to do that one next Saturday.

Where can we park the trailer in Fenlon Falls that will give us access to the trail?

Thanks Again

Dave , how do you like the venture ? I have the 09 model and love it , check out TY Yamaha site for yammie info

Drop by the fairgraounds there is plenty of parking there, trails runs just by the entrance.

Welcome to a great sport and even greater site! It wont take long to figure out who to watch out for. Of course I would never mention any names would I STG...... :-D

Dave It was great meeting you and Tess on the trails, and traveling with you for the morning. It was too bad that it was go cold for your first ride but I am glad you will be back out.

Hello Yammie

After our first ride it was real comfortable. Just going through the break in period and feeling out the machine. Looking for storage ideas, saddle bags, etc as this sled has little to no starage. Only beef so far. As Dave mentioned it was a little cold and we didn't have the wiring set up for the heated sheilds yet. Tess's feet got a little cold but these are the little things we will work out as we get more familiar with the sled.

We too are on TY Yamaha as "DaveTess".

Thanks for the info "Smokeater466" we will be coming in on Helen Street/ Cty Road 8. We've never been to Fenlon Falls so where do we go from there. Looking at Google Earth there is a big track on the Sourth side of Helen Street at the trail crossing. Is this a school or the Fair Grounds you mentioned?

Thanks again Everyone!

Thanks Rick

Having a blast so far and the forum is worth it's weight in gold for the generosity and information you all provide.

Thanks

Dave

not sure if our sleds are exact or not but mine has a visor plug from the factory on the left of the handle bars behind the padding just to the right of the warmer switch , it is hidden in there , my Yammie dealer didnt even know it was there ,have a look ,

Just looked at the sled and there doesn't seem to be anything there. Took off the padded handle bar pad and looked but couldn't see anything.

I guess yammie is cheaping out , Is yours a RS Venture Gt ? , some guys use the little adapter that plugs into the 12 Volt outlet

Ours is and RS Venture. Not the GT model. I'm trying to find out where I could buy two dash mount plugs so we can insatll one in the das and one at the back by the rear hand warmer switch for Tess. I don't want cables all over the place.

I had one install at the back for the wifey also , they put it under the seat and it comes out by the rear handgrips ,works great

Thats what we're looking to do also. Did you get it done at your dealer?

I had it done by my mechanic when I had the tunnel protectors put in , dont know anything about where they connect the cord though

Archived