Stop Signs

revrnd

Is there a specified distance that a stop sign is to be placed from the centerline or edge of the road? Just curious as when I was riding on the railbed today, I noticed a lot of the signs were positioned in such a way, that if you stop at the sign, you CAN'T see down the road in 1 or sometimes either direction.

I wonder if some people just "blow" the stop sign & come to a stop beside the road where you CAN see if a vehicle is approaching. Or stop @ the sign, then creep forward. I'll put myself in the former group, but today since I was videoing the ride & probably having a little driving instructor (my nephew) critique my driving, I figured I'd better stop & creep ahead.

I've kinda noticed this in some area roads. But when I really become aware of the sings and their position was when I got my motorcycle licence this past summer. I could never see if something was coming so being a bit nervous being a new rider I would creep to edge and make darn sure nothing was coming before I pulled out.

OFSC does dictate where stop signs must be placed (can't remember the actual measurements off hand). However, most people don't know, you don't have to stop AT stop signs, you stop FOR stop signs.

Stop at through highway

136. (1) Every driver or street car operator approaching a stop sign at an intersection,

(a) shall stop his or her vehicle or street car at a marked stop line or, if none, then immediately before entering the nearest crosswalk or, if none, then immediately before entering the intersection; and

OFSC does dictate where stop signs must be placed (can't remember the actual measurements off hand). However, most people don't know, you don't have to stop AT stop signs, you stop FOR stop signs.

Stop at through highway

136. (1) Every driver or street car operator approaching a stop sign at an intersection,

(a) shall stop his or her vehicle or street car at a marked stop line or, if none, then immediately before entering the nearest crosswalk or, if none, then immediately before entering the intersection; and

YUP, we had a training course at Hydro and this topic was brought up

According to the OFSC Sign Guide

“Stop” signs should be installed from 5 to 10 metres prior to the traveled portion of an intersection where other Motorized Vehicle use occurs ...

if you feel that stop signs or any other signs have been installed improperly a good plan would be to approach the club or district board and let them know so that the Risk Management team take a look at it.

All signage must be signed off on before the trails open.

Not to mention if a sign is improperly placed, that could open a whole kettle of fish if there was an accident and the lawyers would have a field day.

Years ago, I approached a similar intersection and stopped at the stop sign and line and then proceeded on. There were bushes hindering my view down the crossroad and as I drove through, I saw a cop down the road and sure enough the officer pulled me over for not stopping.

I argued with the officer until she had to leave for "another call"...she said I "was lucky".

I would have fought that one if I got a ticket for it.

Years ago, I approached a similar intersection and stopped at the stop sign and line and then proceeded on. There were bushes hindering my view down the crossroad and as I drove through, I saw a cop down the road and sure enough the officer pulled me over for not stopping.

I argued with the officer until she had to leave for "another call"...she said I "was lucky".

I would have fought that one if I got a ticket for it.

Grimm, that's my concern as well. The Bancroft OPP love patrolling the railbed, with their cruisers & Tahoes :rolleyes: . Just sit @ a road crossing & hassle riders.

Bark biter, I'm sure the sign placement is within the parameters, but when you look @ a "forced" road, there is no road allowance. The brush & trees extend right up to the edge of the road.

In the 2 clubs that I help do signing for, we try to stay within the guidelines, as close to the road as possible without leaving the sign in jeopardy of being destroyed by the snow coming off the wing of the plows. This is especially an issue out on highways or rural roads where often the plows travel at speeds higher than they might in a built up area.

well then, I would use the stop at the stop sign, inch forward and stop again if the OPP tend to be sneaky in your area. I have never run across that problem here on the Barrie and area trails, but then again I am the type who stops at the sign and stops again at the intersected.

Moosifer is correct...stop sign (stop for not at) Stop: stop line( not on snow) crosswalk( not in snow) so this leaves us with- at the intersection ( or more specific, lateral extention of the two lines of travel)

Archived