Dubreuiville--->Wawa route

30cal4me

Part of our annual trip into the wilds of Northern Ontario this year(Feb 18-Feb 25) includes going from Dub to Wawa one day and then returning the next day. Our original plan for the first day was to take "D" west from Dub, Dub 7 south to the Wawa 3/7 split, and then either Wawa 3 or 7 into Wawa. Our second day would have us go north on the "D" from Wawa to the D/F split. These routes were chosen so we are not riding on the same trails 2 days in a row.

Based on my reading of various threads on here, I am now a little skeptical of taking 7 south from D(reopening of 7 after years of being closed,ruggedness of terrain). We are experienced riders(3 males/1 female), but our experience is limited to a "sit-down" style of riding. Now I am leaning more toward making our southbound trip consist of: "D" west from Dubreuiville to Dub 3, Dub 3 to the Magpie River, Magpie to Wawa 7, and then Wawa 7 into Wawa. Northbound trip on next day would not change.

I am looking for input/opininios/recommendations from those knowledgable on the areas mentioned.

Thanks

If the trail is open, don't let the "agressiveness" scare you. That is a don't miss trip. If you have quality sleds and some miles of experience behind you, the trail will not throw anything at you that can not be handled. There will be some steep hills, some technical tight areas (the groomer makes it through so not that tight) and some things you need to slow down for. I'll let the locals fill you in, but don't miss it!

Part of our annual trip into the wilds of Northern Ontario this year(Feb 18-Feb 25) includes going from Dub to Wawa one day and then returning the next day. Our original plan for the first day was to take "D" west from Dub, Dub 7 south to the Wawa 3/7 split, and then either Wawa 3 or 7 into Wawa. Our second day would have us go north on the "D" from Wawa to the D/F split. These routes were chosen so we are not riding on the same trails 2 days in a row.

Based on my reading of various threads on here, I am now a little skeptical of taking 7 south from D(reopening of 7 after years of being closed,ruggedness of terrain). We are experienced riders(3 males/1 female), but our experience is limited to a "sit-down" style of riding. Now I am leaning more toward making our southbound trip consist of: "D" west from Dubreuiville to Dub 3, Dub 3 to the Magpie River, Magpie to Wawa 7, and then Wawa 7 into Wawa. Northbound trip on next day would not change.

I am looking for input/opininios/recommendations from those knowledgable on the areas mentioned.

Thanks

Dave is right!

If open take it! I have run it with my kids when they were 12 years old. They rode their own sleds. If not open don't. It will be a short trip by the Magpie, but even that is not always staked anymore and I feel that is much more dangerous even when staked. The ice drops and can create numerous issues later in the season. I have run the Magpie lots.

Like they say, if it's open it's good. Feb is a long long time away.

As far as the Magpie. If you don't know it don't go.

I've been down it hundreds of times summer and winter and I stay away on an overcast or snowy day.

30cal you do understand the the mileage from dub to wawa is about 65 mile max all trail right? most of us loop around on day rides. stay in wawa or dub, and base out of one place, so you can travel light. you can run from wawa to dub and back easy in just a few hours. once the trails and lakes are all set up there are 10 different ways up and back or looping from wawa to dub and vise versa. i could have you run just those 2 town areas for a week and you would only cross each trail one or two times. lots of places to stop for lunch, and unique views.

assuming you start in dub....

dub to wawa

D past F, to hawk lake, down D down wawa lake

D past F to hawk lake, trail trail 5 around the back side of wawa.

D to F to dog lake, to missanabi for lunch, down dog lake, down manitouwak lake, down hawk lake, D trail to wawa lake (down the lake run)

or take the park road to missanabi, then hit the lakes to wawa.

D west to trail 7, to trail 3, into wawa

D trail west to magpie, take magpie to the dam, turn left through the bad lands, and onto wawa lake.

D trail west to magpie, take mapie to the dam, turn right follow steephill dam rd (trail 7) cross hwy 17, to trail 3 to wawa

there are also some short cuts in there to avoid alot of town, or long out of the way loops to get in and out of wawa but, you get the idea.

heres a good local map http://www.jonespowersports.com/trailconditions.htm

ski

7 years? has it been that long since we groomed it gord? AS for the Magpie.... I too don't go when its snowing or very windy you can get turned around and end up in No fish bay and get stuck in slush.

I didn't mean it had been 7 years since it was groomed. I meant it was years since Trail 7 was open. This was picked off of other threads on this site.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this question.

30cal you do understand the the mileage from dub to wawa is about 65 mile max all trail right? most of us loop around on day rides. stay in wawa or dub, and base out of one place, so you can travel light. you can run from wawa to dub and back easy in just a few hours. once the trails and lakes are all set up there are 10 different ways up and back or looping from wawa to dub and vise versa. i could have you run just those 2 town areas for a week and you would only cross each trail one or two times. lots of places to stop for lunch, and unique views. assuming you start in dub.... dub to wawa D past F, to hawk lake, down D down wawa lake D past F to hawk lake, trail trail 5 around the back side of wawa. D to F to dog lake, to missanabi for lunch, down dog lake, down manitouwak lake, down hawk lake, D trail to wawa lake (down the lake run) or take the park road to missanabi, then hit the lakes to wawa. D west to trail 7, to trail 3, into wawa D trail west to magpie, take magpie to the dam, turn left through the bad lands, and onto wawa lake. D trail west to magpie, take mapie to the dam, turn right follow steephill dam rd (trail 7) cross hwy 17, to trail 3 to wawa there are also some short cuts in there to avoid alot of town, or long out of the way loops to get in and out of wawa but, you get the idea. heres a good local map http://www.jonespowersports.com/trailconditions.htm ski
Our first day is actually starting in Hornepayne, but I didn't worry about that leg of the day. Our second day ends actually in Chapleau. I was only concerned with info between Dub and Wawa.

if you give us your entire itinerary, we could help you better... first day start and stop, second day ect....

hornepayne to dub is about 100 miles one way. tacking on wawa that day would make sense. then you are adding about 125-150 miles to that first day. when you run dub to direct chapleau it is about 125-135 miles.

i guess i dont understand where you are starting and stopping to give more info. ski

if you give us your entire itinerary, we could help you better... first day start and stop, second day ect.... hornepayne to dub is about 100 miles one way. tacking on wawa that day would make sense. then you are adding about 125-150 miles to that first day. when you run dub to direct chapleau it is about 125-135 miles. i guess i dont understand where you are starting and stopping to give more info. ski

Entire trip is as follows:

Day 1-Gowganda to Cochrane

Day 2-Cochrane to Hearst

Day 3-Hearst to Hornepayne

Day 4-Hornepayne to Wawa

Day 5-Wawa to Chapleau

Day 6-Chapleau to Timmins

Day 7-Timmins to Gowganda

Looks like very easy days. The way to go IMO. You have lots of time to see the sights and play in the fun areas.

I would take 7 into wawa and the D trail out. Might as well head out D south to trail 5 on the way out and see the scenic lookout on your way if it's a clear day.

I didn't mean it had been 7 years since it was groomed. I meant it was years since Trail 7 was open. This was picked off of other threads on this site.

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this question.

lol My bad, I was reading to fast and the opening season tired .... :(

Looks like very easy days. The way to go IMO. You have lots of time to see the sights and play in the fun areas.

I would take 7 into wawa and the D trail out. Might as well head out D south to trail 5 on the way out and see the scenic lookout on your way if it's a clear day.

We try to make our days so we don't have to head out @ the crack of dawn or be rolling into town in the dark. Some years we've stayed @ a location 2 nights & done a daytrip before continuing on our trip the next day.

Jonesy, 30cal (bro) and I had discussed yesterday about regardless of our route into Wawa, we'd take D & 5 back to Hawk Jct. after seeing AC's pics in his thread.

On our '09 Northern Blastoff, we rode into & out of Wawa on TOP D & Wawa Lake. That was our 1st trip into Wawa, but all of us have ridden thru D'ville in past years (1st time in 2000).

1. rev, take D west to 7 and on to 3 into wawa. then the next day head out of town to 5 and D to F, over to dog lake, to missanabi, then to chapleau. that way you get to see quite a variation in terrain around wawa, and dub. ski

We try to make our days so we don't have to head out @ the crack of dawn or be rolling into town in the dark. Some years we've stayed @ a location 2 nights & done a daytrip before continuing on our trip the next day.

Thats how we ride too. On the trails by the crack of noon and in before dark. 2-300 mile days. Who cares how many miles as long as you get lots of smiles.

Thats how we ride too. On the trails by the crack of noon and in before dark. 2-300 mile days. Who cares how many miles as long as you get lots of smiles.

Nothing I hate more is getting up early in the morning, its cold, take off like crazy and have to do the most milles in the day. I rather take it easy and have time to sleep and enjoy the trip

When the sun starts dropping in the sky, the temps start to drop. On my 1st trip up there, you cold feel it get colder as we rode from D'ville to Hornepayne. Halfway thru D108A we met a solo rider. When we got into Hornepayne, we commented about riding up there all by yourself. Five of the riders were from Capreol, the other 3 were "southerners" LOL.

Next year (2001) we were in Hearst & I had to go into the 'doo dealer. They had a Summit in the showroom. I couldn't figure out why anyone in Ontario would need a XL long track. Well across old TOP A to Hornepayne we saw a track where a sled had jumped off the trail, crossed a small lake (thru really deep snow) then jumped back on the trail. I think w/ the snow depths that year, a 121 incher wouldn't have made it. Now I knew why'd they had a Summit up there. LOL

On my 1st trip up there, you cold feel it get colder as we rode from D'ville to Hornepayne

You WERE headed N eh? :icon_slap2:

Next year (2001) we were in Hearst & I had to go into the 'doo dealer. They had a Summit in the showroom. I couldn't figure out why anyone in Ontario would need a XL long track. Well across old TOP A to Hornepayne we saw a track where a sled had jumped off the trail, crossed a small lake (thru really deep snow) then jumped back on the trail. I think w/ the snow depths that year, a 121 incher wouldn't have made it. Now I knew why'd they had a Summit up there. LOL

"Don't need no stinkin' long tracks in Ontario!" :ehh:

Dec 31, 1996 we stopped in the Doo dealer in Kap. In the front winder they had a new '97 Grand Touring 700 trippple/trippple in all it's glory. Pipes everywhere!

My chumm with his 600 XLT is about to have a bloody heart-attack.

"Can you imagine? You're scootin' accrost the bleeding lake, just'a git'n it.... and then G-Pa Jones pulls up beside you on his GT and looks over, smiles, and then gives'r?"

"That _ just _ aint _ right!" :o

:D

"Don't need no stinkin' long tracks in Ontario!" :ehh:

Dec 31, 1996 we stopped in the Doo dealer in Kap. In the front winder they had a new '97 Grand Touring 700 trippple/trippple in all it's glory. Pipes everywhere!

My chumm with his 600 XLT is about to have a bloody heart-attack.

"Can you imagine? You're scootin' accrost the bleeding lake, just'a git'n it.... and then G-Pa Jones pulls up beside you on his GT and looks over, smiles, and then gives'r?"

"That _ just _ aint _ right!" :o

:D

You've seen Groomer Guys "Couch" haven't you? Nothing better than 800 Triple Triples! Except his has Lazy Boy written all over it. Not Hot Rod!

LOL

Yeah, even w/ heading that direction, I didn't think that the temps would drop as quick as they did.

You've seen Groomer Guys "Couch" haven't you? Nothing better than 800 Triple Triples! Except his has Lazy Boy written all over it. Not Hot Rod!

Won a radar run once with my Pantera 800 triple triple . Sould have heard the whining from the others :lmao: Dead stock just a snow track not a plowed track and the 136 hooked up,it doesn't matter how much power you have if you can't hook it up you lose. I kind of miss that sled it was a hoot to knock the grin of someone on the lake with a green couch.

Archived