Trail Closed from Searchmont to Wawa

kyzer

From The Sault Star

Searchmont to Wawa snowmobile trail closed this winter

Outdoor enthusiasts planning to hit the snowmobile trails between Searchmont and Wawa this winter will have to rethink their options.

The D Trail between the two communities will remain closed for the 2012 season, said John Mayne, president of the Sault Trailblazers Snowmobile Club.

The popular northern route will remain closed this year in the interest of safety due to the closure of Halfway Haven Lodge.

Snowmobilers will not be able to refuel or seek food or lodging along the route with the winter closure, Mayne said. Halfway Haven's current owner is a senior and health issues prevent him from opening this winter, Mayne said. But he expects the trail will reopen for the 2013 season with a new owner of Halfway Haven Lodge.

"It's unfortunate but we kicked around a lot of ideas and thought about a fuel bag program where snowmobilers could take extra fuel with them. But what happens if a machine breaks down or people get caught in a snowstorm? There's nowhere to go for help in between."

The trail closure is another blow to the decline in snowmobiling.

Last year, the club sold about 800 annual permits, but the numbers have dropped over the past few years, Mayne said.

The high cost of fuel and insurance and changing weather patterns with shorter winters have all contributed to the demise of the sport, he said.

"We go through phases," Mayne said. "Now, we're in a down phase, but what we're experiencing is similar to what boating went through about five or six years ago and now they're back up again and I expect we will be in a few years too."

Volunteers with the Sault Trailblazers — and other clubs in the area — have almost completed annual fall trail maintenance.

Bridges along trail routes are repaired along with any damage to the trails caused by four-wheelers or rain washouts.

Trees and brush are also cut back and volunteers ensure that any major obstacles are removed from the trails.

Meanwhile, Wednesday is the last day avid outdoor enthusiasts can purchase snowmobile trail permits at an early-bird price of $200.

The price increases to $250 effective Dec. 1.

Permits can be purchased at the Christie Camper site at Canadian Tire or at the Sault Trailblazer's Old Garden River Road office.

Temporary permits are also available once the trail system opens. Three day permits are $100; seven day permits $140 and special event permits for sanctioned events $35.

Trails will open when winter weather conditions are ideal for snowmobiling.

Trail conditions can be viewed daily online at www.ssmtrailblazers.co

sorry to see the trail closed. however, i am glad the powers that be see the liability of grooming in an area where there are no services in the case of an accident or emergency.

i am also glad they published this in the sault star but, i wished they would have verified there permit time line. they state the price increase goes into effect dec 1st. when in fact, the preseason price is good ON or before dec 1st.

i do like how they are optimistic that halfway will be sold, and open under new managment next season. time will tell.

ski

Thanks Kyzer. Sounds like the Soo club has been busy.

Thanks as well. I imagine your permits are down because of the amercian economy as part of the reason. Southern Ontario is strong, average sled is probably about 8 years old though.

Classics start with 1997 sleds, and there are some good sleds out there from that year.

Cheaper permit. Cheaper insurance.

Gee - two of you guys, and neither can finish the thought? Or are you guys into carrots on strings?

You got that much out of your mouth - but Heaven forbid you actually spill the beans on what the price actually is eh?

tsk.gif

Maybe this is common knowledge if you read your Ontario Skidooer, but I, as well as many others here have not had anual tags - nor rode yonder in the last 2-3 yrs, and thus our subscriptions have lapsed. So maybe it was in there?

I have bought one and I think I will be buying another tag this week. We are planning on riding this year! But looks like Colorado for Christmas for us, so you guys will hafta break open the Searchmont trail on your own I guess.... poke.gif

Classic permit is $125 with proof of age (ownership) 15 yrs and older (yr model, not maufacture date.

I s'pose some amount of proof would be required, but what if a guy was from The States?

I really don't know how many would be looking to buy a full year pre-season pass and has that old of a sled from the US in all reality, but if you did - you couldn't hardly drive to The Soo to prove that you had an XLT or early Mach Zed....

Like I say - not too likely an issue, and maybe pre-season doesn't aplly to this anyway .... just random thoughts rolling around in my head...

Welt - looks like this is my stop - you guys have a good day!

ShortBus.jpg

Edit:

Faceman:

Never heard of your area before, but that is a KILLER pic of your group on your blog page!

They don't advertise the classic permit because you don't have to buy it early. It is the same 125 for the whole season. Bang head. Ofsc should have raised it 50 bucks too after dec 1, to make the system fair.

They don't advertise the classic permit because you don't have to buy it early. It is the same 125 for the whole season. Bang head. Ofsc should have raised it 50 bucks too after dec 1, to make the system fair. I bought you haven't bought it yeah freezy? Going to wait and see if you get snow first????

They don't advertise the classic permit because you don't have to buy it early. It is the same 125 for the whole season. Bang head. Ofsc should have raised it 50 bucks too after dec 1, to make the system fair.

the 125 is realy helping me in my area to bring people in the sport, Once I find people with an old sled in the garage I get them interested in the social part of the club..... the good old days then I tell them about the permit price $250 ($200 pre Dec price) and then tell them that it's 125$ and now they are all intrested in getting back in the sport. I understand what you are saying but people will come back with this cheaper classic permit at that price, during the winter you get a guy that buys a used sled late jan or Feb well I was able to get them to get a permit..... usualy they would of taken the chance to ride without one.... now I get that sale.

Gee - two of you guys, and neither can finish the thought? Or are you guys into carrots on strings?

You got that much out of your mouth - but Heaven forbid you actually spill the beans on what the price actually is eh?

tsk.gif

Maybe this is common knowledge if you read your Ontario Skidooer, but I, as well as many others here have not had anual tags - nor rode yonder in the last 2-3 yrs, and thus our subscriptions have lapsed. So maybe it was in there?

I have bought one and I think I will be buying another tag this week. We are planning on riding this year! But looks like Colorado for Christmas for us, so you guys will hafta break open the Searchmont trail on your own I guess.... poke.gif

sorry ox I taught you knew abut the permit price, I was going to reply but I saw that I had been already.

A few yrs ago I could have taken advantage of that!

..and may again soon...

We have one '99, the rest are '02's.

A few yrs ago we had one '87 in the stable, but we towed it from Ranger North back to Aubrey... icon_doh.gif

I was the one riding it when she choked. I was breaking trail down Ranger in April and I guess she'd had enough of that crap.... !

My '02 had recently stuck a piston, and in mid March I hadn't jumped all over fixing it - and then this late snow came .... and .. well - we just had'ta go eh?

BlowedPiston.jpg

I hear yeah groomer guy. I just feel there Is no incentive to buy the classic early. As sleds age and since new ones are more realible, more people will take this route. Just hard for clubs to operate if they did get the cash early. How much does the club get from a classic permit sale anyway's?

Hey Ox..Mapquest says 6 hrs and change to get here. Cross at Sarnia and head north on Hwy 21 for about 3 hrs. That pic was our old clubhouse, property sold and we lost it!

Hey Ox..Mapquest says 6 hrs and change to get here. Cross at Sarnia and head north on Hwy 21 for about 3 hrs. That pic was our old clubhouse, property sold and we lost it!

Yeah - I had searched you out.

Just not heard of before.

In 6 hours I can be fueled up and crossing the St. Maries River.

Let's see .... St. Maries, or St. Clair .... Hmmmmm ....

You wunna guess which way I'm pointed? RockOn2.gif

• 2 weeks later...

A recent issue of Snow Goer had an article on Cain's Quest (extreme endurance race in Labrador).

Last year they had to change the route to avoid ice trails, due to warm weather. The new route bypassed many existing fuel stops and that forced the sleds to tow toboggans.

Just wondering - would a possible solution to the Searchmont - Wawa ride be to place a deposit for a toboggan with a 'sled related' business in Searchmont, fill up gas cans and toboggan north. Deposit is returned once you return the toboggan in good condition to a business in Wawa. Of course, some form of rental payment for the sleigh. The reverse would also work. Rent in Wawa, return in Searchmont.

If those lunatics in Labrador, who 'average' 70 mph or more can tow a toboggan, we can too.

Feasible?

______

i'm in.... you tow the fuel, so we can all have fun. LOL! ski

Ski,

I tow. Mostly Skidoos, but I tow.

:D

i ride a cat now :nana: kept the name. LOL!

ski

Wasn't there a gas can "rental" set up like that a few years ago between Hearst & Longlac?

A) Pretty sure that they have always had to tow a sleigh in Cains Quest.

I know that (at least) one guy has to tow a sleigh in the Iron Dog as well as the now defunct Challange Canada which used to start in Ontario and end in K-bec.

B) How many of you have a hitch?

I have a nice big tub from Otter. I think I had like 30 or 40 gallons in it a few yrs ago. :icon_dance-cpatch:

Kant play much with that back there....

Archived