Recommendations ? Whitney, Renfrew, Bancroft

SlowTouringGuy

I don't have much recommendations with regards to places to stay since I have never slept in the area. Its just too close to home to justify staying a night. But there are some nice trails in that area.

Here are some of the places you could stay (I don't have any experience with any of them) I just took it from the map sponsors. There are probably more that someone a bit more local then myself can find for you.

Whitney: Algonquin East Gate Motel, Couples Resorts, The Mad Musher

Bancroft: Lakeview Lodge

Could not find anything for Renfrew?

From what I remember back in '05 or so - Bancroft Motor Inn (in Bancroft) has large rooms and you could get one that had a kitchenette - handy for snacks/meals etc. A little down on the heels, but sled friendly and not too expensive. Hot tub I think. Easy access to railway line trail and gas at Can Tire across the street. Large parking lot and would likely let you park for a couple of nights if you were on a circle tour. Lots of good day circle tours in the area - Whitney an easy run. Check Paudash, Maple Leaf club maps. Italian restaurant in town - Dino's ?? - family restaurant type atmosphere - food was good and moderately priced.

I think other people stayed at the Best Western which was also proximate to the main trail, but small rooms were a major complaint. Might have been a pool at this one?

In your general direction of travel toward Renfrew- at Combermere - is this place:

http://www.pinecliff.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

Never stayed here but on a 'future' list as on web site looks good.

Indoor pool would be nice in the middle of winter. Close to trails according to web site.

I have stayed at Bancroft Motor Inn many times. Restaurant across the street beside CTC Gas Bar is a good family restaurant, especially good for breakfast.

Looking for recommended Lodgings in:

Whitney

Renfrew

Bancroft

for an upcoming weekend sled excursion.

Where would you recommend we stay? And Why ??

Just a suggestion STG, but I can tell you both from first-hand experience as well as reports from others I know that Renfrew isn't a great choice of destination. Not only are the accommodation choices limited (and not easily accessed by sled, at least a few years ago), but Renfrew seems to be in a pocket of the northern Ottawa Valley which often sees pretty skimpy snow conditions, even in mid-season.

Instead, I would suggest you consider Pembroke, where there is a large Best Western (with indoor pool and restaurant) right on the trail, and a huge Irving gas station immediately across the highway. Plus, Pembroke fits in much better with a logical RAP route, if that's what you are planning.

As for Whitney, not too much choice there, beyond what yamahas mentioned above. I haven't stayed at any of them, but understand from others that The Couples Resort is quite a luxurious (and apparently pricey) place, geared more to a romantic weekend getaway rather than a saddle-bag sledder's stop whilst on the RAP circuit. Again, I'm going to suggest you consider a different destination -- go east from Whitney towards the Barry's Bay area...just off "B" Trail west of Barry's Bay, on a side trail #159, to Spectacle Lake Lodge, http://www.spectaclelakelodge.com/ We've stayed there twice over the years while on RAP tours, and have always enjoyed good meals and accommodation, plus they have fuel right on-site. It changed hands a year or two ago, but it continues to get positive reviews from sledders, from what I've heard and read.

I've never stayed in Bancroft, but can echo SJ's comments above about the Bancroft Motor Inn, from other sledders I've talked to who've stayed there.

Hope these comments are helpful.

Vito's is the restaurant in Bancroft. If you're @ the Inn you won't be able to ride to it. The Best Western has changed hands a coupke of years ago. Some people may have had an issue w/ the previous owner. The Best Western is within walking distance of restaurants as well as accessible to the trails. Not sure if you can easily ride to the Esso.

STG, check my listing for Whitney as there are a few places in Whitney that probably aren't as pricy as Couples. We've stayed @ Spectacle, but that was several years ago before Maurice passed away.

Instead of staying in Renfrew, you'd likely be better off staying in Calabogie at the Highlands due to on trail access.

http://www.calabogieexperience.com/dining-and-lodging/packages/winter-packages/

Scrap all of that and spend your money and ride in Haliburton. Hotel in Minden is right on the 2 trail. Mc Kecks has great food, you can sled into HF for a day, and then hack around and still ride to Whitney or Lake St.Peter for another day. Just sayin'

Thanks, folks. Just trying to work on a loop that takes me from my place on a loop through those three on a clockwise loop. I can also "wiggle" a little a bit each way. Thanks for the information !! Any more is welcome.

STG. We've stayed at the Pine Cliff. It's right on the trail, very nice house keeping cottages. The pool is a bit of a walk/sled. Found it quite central for either Barrys Bay /Whitney /Lake St John Loop or east towards Pembroke

STG. We've stayed at the Pine Cliff. It's right on the trail, very nice house keeping cottages. The pool is a bit of a walk/sled. Found it quite central for either Barrys Bay /Whitney /Lake St John Loop or east towards Pembroke

merci, L'homme de visage !

Hopefully this area gets more snow and cold weather this year. What are you finding about cancellation policies??? I won't book much in advance anymore, since alot of places have a no refund policy and a minium two night stay on weekends.

Hopefully this area gets more snow and cold weather this year. What are you finding about cancellation policies??? I won't book much in advance anymore, since alot of places have a no refund policy and a minium two night stay on weekends.

Agreed, the snow last year was minimal. Conditions started to get better Deep River up to North Bay.

Thanks, muchly, for the information folks. I haven't called any places suggested here - yet. Related to your question, ViperRules700, we've done lots of saddlebag trips and don't book at places without cancellation policies. The places that are the most sled friendly simply say, "don't worry about it; if the local club has closed the trails, no charge, no foul". There are some, these days, that are asking for two nights and we 'might' consider one of those for a couples/group type weekend away with loop riding. Fortunately, those typically asking for two days do not have the same requirement on a Sunday to Thursday booking so if you can plan around that you're still good to go.

I try to travel during the week as well. Less traffic and some places give discounts during the week as well. Should ask the monkey about his friendly experience with HF.

I try to travel during the week as well. Less traffic and some places give discounts during the week as well. Should ask the monkey about his friendly experience with HF.

Yes, his experience was well publicized last year :D

Archived