Sled Insurance

ontariof7

Just received my renewal from TD and my premium did not change, not one cent from 2010 to 2011 for my two sleds. I guess I am so use to annual increases for property tax, utilities and service providers it was nice seeing no change.

Hoping you all receive the same notice

Actually mine dropped by $15 with State Farm, but I think thats cause we bought a new house and have to pay more for it, so it still works out better for them :coffeenose:

I have td insurance.

They base the rates on the price the machine originaly sold for.

A 5 year old machine isnt worth the same as a new one.

So why over insure the machine?

I phone in every year and have them quote me on a value closer to the real price.

$25 or $50 per sled is better in my pocket then theres.

I believe the quebec trail pass price includes insurance.

Why is it that there insurance is so much cheaper?

Is it the same quality of insurance we have hear in ontario?

Why is it that there insurance is so much cheaper?

Is it the same quality of insurance we have hear in ontario?

Because they have a legislated limit on claims. The insurance company does not have to factor in to everyones' premiums the possibility of an irresponsible moron who is drinking, runs over a "caution, sharp turn" sign, blows the corner, hits a tree and burns his sled and then launches a BaJillion Dollar suit against the FCMQ (Quebec's OFSC) for providing unsafe trails, injury, mental anguish, loss of employment....etc....etc...etc...

Sorta Kewl ! ;)

Just received my renewal from TD and my premium did not change, not one cent from 2010 to 2011 for my two sleds. I guess I am so use to annual increases for property tax, utilities and service providers it was nice seeing no change.

Take another look. Yes the rate stayed the same but your benefits dropped big time.

Take another look. Yes the rate stayed the same but your benefits dropped big time.

Unfortuntately I shredded my old policy however; $1M liability, $500 deductible for Comprehensive, $300 deductible for Collision, Fire, theft, and Leinholder protection all included. This looks like the same policy as my old one. What benefits dropped big time?

Unfortuntately I shredded my old policy however; $1M liability, $500 deductible for Comprehensive, $300 deductible for Collision, Fire, theft, and Leinholder protection all included. This looks like the same policy as my old one. What benefits dropped big time?

Standard versus Optional (Increased) Accident Benefits.

Standard versus Optional (Increased) Accident Benefits.

Yep..all insurers have slashed their accident benefits this year. The new legislation. You can get the same coverage if you pay the higher premium. So, in reality you are paying the same but getting much less.

pped big time.

Yep..all insurers have slashed their accident benefits this year. The new legislation. You can get the same coverage if you pay the higher premium. So, in reality you are paying the same but getting much less.

I will call my insurance company for exact details. But you are not the first to indicate, "getting much less". Can you please quantify exactly how much less is less?? :?

OF7 - 'Talking to your broker' is exactly what Finance Minister Duncan recommended when the new Bill was being discussed - "Duncan's message to Ontario drivers will be talk to your broker about how you can pay less while ensuring that you are adequately protected," (Toronto Star, November 1, 2009).

The 'new rules' came into effect on Sept 1st, 2010. The posts above peaked my curiosity, and I searched for a summary of the changes in plain language:

From Wheels, in Toronto Star - So, what will the new changes mean to motorists? First, the standard coverage for treatment of non-catastrophic injuries under no-faults benefits will reduce from $100,000 to $50,000. If motorists want more than $50,000 worth of coverage, they will have to pay extra for it. ...

CanadianDriver.com - Prior to September 1, 2010, those injured in car crashes could be entitled to up to $100 per week for housekeeping and home maintenance benefits, in some cases for as much as two years. Under the new program, basic automobile insurance will not allow this claim. The current program also allows up to $250 per week if the insured incurred expenses as a result of being unable to continue as the main caregiver of a child in the household before the collision; these caregiver benefits will be discontinued.

Under the current program, those injured in car crashes could be eligible to receive medial and rehabilitation benefits of up to $100,000, including chiropractic, massage, and physiotherapy. This is now reduced to $50,000 under the basic insurance program, while attendant care benefits, paid if the injured required someone to help with personal assistance, will be reduced from $72,000 to $36,000.

The Ontario government will also introduce a “minor injury” cap, which may include a sprain, strain or whiplash-associated disorder. If the injury is categorized as minor, treatment will be capped at $3,500, including chiropractic, massage, or physiotherapy.

Auto insurers in Ontario will provide options to pay extra for significantly higher benefits, and drivers are urged to contact their insurance companies or insurance brokers for more information [ it seems EVERYONE, from the Minister to reporters, end their new bite by saying we should contact our insurance rep].

Thanks for the heads up, OF7 and others. Time to speak to my broker.

OF7 - 'Talking to your broker' is exactly what Finance Minister Duncan recommended when the new Bill was being discussed - "Duncan's message to Ontario drivers will be talk to your broker about how you can pay less while ensuring that you are adequately protected," (Toronto Star, November 1, 2009).

The 'new rules' came into effect on Sept 1st, 2010. The posts above peaked my curiosity, and I searched for a summary of the changes in plain language:

From Wheels, in Toronto Star - So, what will the new changes mean to motorists? First, the standard coverage for treatment of non-catastrophic injuries under no-faults benefits will reduce from $100,000 to $50,000. If motorists want more than $50,000 worth of coverage, they will have to pay extra for it. ...

CanadianDriver.com - Prior to September 1, 2010, those injured in car crashes could be entitled to up to $100 per week for housekeeping and home maintenance benefits, in some cases for as much as two years. Under the new program, basic automobile insurance will not allow this claim. The current program also allows up to $250 per week if the insured incurred expenses as a result of being unable to continue as the main caregiver of a child in the household before the collision; these caregiver benefits will be discontinued.

Under the current program, those injured in car crashes could be eligible to receive medial and rehabilitation benefits of up to $100,000, including chiropractic, massage, and physiotherapy. This is now reduced to $50,000 under the basic insurance program, while attendant care benefits, paid if the injured required someone to help with personal assistance, will be reduced from $72,000 to $36,000.

The Ontario government will also introduce a “minor injury” cap, which may include a sprain, strain or whiplash-associated disorder. If the injury is categorized as minor, treatment will be capped at $3,500, including chiropractic, massage, or physiotherapy.

Auto insurers in Ontario will provide options to pay extra for significantly higher benefits, and drivers are urged to contact their insurance companies or insurance brokers for more information [ it seems EVERYONE, from the Minister to reporters, end their new bite by saying we should contact our insurance rep].

Thanks for the heads up, OF7 and others. Time to speak to my broker.

Hi Thanks Canuck for clarifying how much less is less. I do not like the thought of paying the same for less, but I do like the idea of having options. A call to TD is due. Interesting that they did not automatically give me full (read the same coverage) and simply up my premium.

I'm insured with TD and last year, liability cost the same no matter the sled. When getting an online quote, our old Safaris cost $144/year, $1M liability. When I checked for my 2007 Yamaha, liability only was still $144. Of course I insured it for fire and theft too. I just did an online quote and it's now $160/year.

As for Quebec's trail pass and insurance system, it's pretty good but it's liability only. For $240 (before Dec.9), you get the full trail pass and $1M liability ($300 after Dec.9). The only reason that they can offer such a sweet deal is because the federation is subsidized by all sled licenses, no matter if they use the trails or not ($25 each). And since all sleds that get a Quebec trail pass are insured by the same company, the liability insurance is only $42 for the season. Sleds from outside Quebec can apply to get a refund for the insurance.

I'm insured with TD and last year, liability cost the same no matter the sled.  When getting an online quote, our old Safaris cost $144/year, $1M liability.  When I checked for my 2007 Yamaha, liability only was still $144.  Of course I insured it for fire and theft too.  I just did an online quote and it's now $160/year.

As for Quebec's trail pass and insurance system, it's pretty good but it's liability only.  For $240 (before Dec.9), you get the full trail pass and $1M liability ($300 after Dec.9).  The only reason that they can offer such a sweet deal is because the federation is subsidized by all sled licenses, no matter if they use the trails or not ($25 each).  And since all sleds that get a Quebec trail pass are insured by the same company, the liability insurance is only $42 for the season.  Sleds from outside Quebec can apply to get a refund for the insurance.

Also, I believe that the insurance is only valid in Quebec.

Also, I believe that the insurance is only valid in Quebec.

Nope. Well, at least for Quebec residents, it is valid all over North America. I did inquire with them about the insurance if it is used by a non-Quebec resident and all I could get out of them was "this insurance was designed for Quebec residents". She refused to say that the insurance was not valid. I read over the actual policy and saw nothing about sleds registered outside Quebec.

I just moved over from there last year.

The "Important Notice" on the front cover of the policy states

"Once the insured has returned to his/her province of residence, the protection offered by this insurance policy is insufficient for snowmobile owners / drivers whose primary residence is ouside of the province of Quebec.  Residents of provinces other than Quebec are required o purchase further coverage through their respective provinces"

The rest of the policy is in French so I have no idea what it says  :wtf::wtf::wtf: .

"Once the insured has returned to his/her province of residence, the protection offered by this insurance policy is insufficient for snowmobile owners / drivers whose primary residence is ouside of the province of Quebec.  Residents of provinces other than Quebec are required o purchase further coverage through their respective provinces"

The rest of the policy is in French so I have no idea what it says  :wtf::wtf::wtf: .

It is a poutine recipe

I just wish the OFSC would come out with something similar for us. It could only help in getting more people into the sport and buying more trail passes. And by making it mandatory, it would ensure all trail users are insured.

I wonder if trail pass/with insurance is being considered for Ontario sledders.

Hard to imagine that it exists in Quebec and has not even been considered for Ontario.

Good points, Mooseman.

Hard to imagine that it exists in Quebec and has not even been considered for Ontario.

Good points, Mooseman.

I'm a little concerned you called out Mooseman but there were no Props for the STG. There's a heavy feeling on my chest.

I've been re-admitted now; hope I don't miss too much time on the trails.

Canuck. Small 'c' with a Line through it ! :twisted:

Good points, Mooseman.

I'm a little concerned you called out Mooseman but there were no Props for the STG.  There's a heavy feeling on my chest.

I've been re-admitted now; hope I don't miss too much time on the trails.  

Canuck.  Small 'c' with a Line through it !    :twisted:

All together now ....

AWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

:rotflmao:

I would love to see opportunities to save money. Such things as insurance coverage being included with your trail permit is one possibility. The minimum coverage would need to be signficant enough ie. 1 million affordable flexibility for increased coverage.

One drawback could be that the optional fire theft and collision through the low cost liability insurer may be high and give an overall higher total premium. If you have to get fire theft and collision from another insurer, since they are not selling you the liability it may also be higher giving an overall higher cost.

Another one I would like to see explored is that when you licence your sled with the MTO you pay a trail pass fee as part of that. Saskatchewan trail system was on the verge of collapse and they made that change. Their system is now alive and well with a very low cost. All I ever here is that the OFSC doesn't want to give up control of the selling of permits and receipt of the dollars to the MTO. If it can make sledding more affordable and draw more people into the sport I am in favour.

It is a poutine recipe

:coffeespit::coffeespit::coffeespit::coffeespit:

Archived