Quality Inn - Parry Sound (split thread)

LuvMyViper

Update!

Canadian Tire

Wal Mart

Rona

Resort Tapatoo

Whitestone Lake Resort

Georgian Bay Country

The above business have made donations for this wkd's Poker Run!

Thanks for the support guys!

How bout the Quality Inn? They have an extra $300 that they charged Maple and the girls for cancelling the ride weekend. :wtf:

I will see what I can come up with. Good luck with the poker run.. Rick

Update!

Canadian Tire

Wal Mart

Rona

Resort Tapatoo

Whitestone Lake Resort

Georgian Bay Country

How bout the Quality Inn? They have an extra $300 that they charged Maple and the girls for cancelling the ride weekend. :wtf:

Good one. Wasnt too happy with that!. Not one penny should come outof anyones pocket! :evil:

Update!

Canadian Tire

Wal Mart

Rona

Resort Tapatoo

Whitestone Lake Resort

Georgian Bay Country

Good one. Wasnt too happy with that!. Not one penny should come outof anyones pocket! :evil:

Hey UTS.. Did the girls collect enough money for the $300? I will pay the difference (got alittle side tracked on Saturday night)... The money is going to Quality Inn instead of the Kelly Shrine Snow Run :roll:

Hey UTS.. Did the girls collect enough money for the $300? I will pay the difference (got alittle side tracked on Saturday night)... The money is going to Quality Inn instead of the Kelly Shrine Snow Run :roll:

We didn't collect enough, but we covered it. Thanks to all those who donated, especially Rick's friend Emmerich (sp ?) who donated his winnings from the 50/50 draw to help out.

Maybe the next time a large group wants a special rate from a hotel, they will have trouble getting it.

The Quality likely turned down other business, ordered extra produce & supplies, adjusted staff schedules & spent staff time taking calls, booking rooms etc. Their investmnet in this past weekend was significant and I don't think that $300 even came close to covering half of what it had cost them up until that point just in preparation alone. Yes they missed out being able to host the event but they spent time & money preparing for sales that never happened.

Pehaps the Riverside would be willing to cover the $300 as I am sure that they earned far more than that in profits.

Maybe the next time a large group wants a special rate from a hotel, they will have trouble getting it.

The Quality likely turned down other business, ordered extra produce & supplies, adjusted staff schedules & spent staff time taking calls, booking rooms etc. Their investmnet in this past weekend was significant and I don't think that $300 even came close to covering half of what it had cost them up until that point just in preparation alone. Yes they missed out being able to host the event but they spent time & money preparing for sales that never happened.

Pehaps the Riverside would be willing to cover the $300 as I am sure that they earned far more than that in profits.

Understand the Quality Inn is in business to make money, but I'm sure they had adequate time to cancel whatever they needed to, especially considering this was for a charity. Had we just decided on a whim to cancel everything and move the event, I could understand their reaction. However, the closure of the trails was not our decision. What was our decision was to salvage a charity event at all costs. Had someone from the clubs / district gotten back to us and guaranteed with 100% certainty that the trails would be open and rideable for the weekend, we never would have been forced to move the event.

I commend The Riverside Inn for everything they did for us this past week. They gave us better room rates than Quality and did the buffet for about the same price ... all on short notice. I'm not saying we would not have received the same treatment from the Quality Inn, but I know their decision to charge us anything has upset many sledders on this forum.

Understand the Quality Inn is in business to make money, but I'm sure they had adequate time to cancel whatever they needed to, especially considering this was for a charity. Had we just decided on a whim to cancel everything and move the event, I could understand their reaction. However, the closure of the trails was not our decision. What was our decision was to salvage a charity event at all costs. Had someone from the clubs / district gotten back to us and guaranteed with 100% certainty that the trails would be open and rideable for the weekend, we never would have been forced to move the event.

I commend The Riverside Inn for everything they did for us this past week. They gave us better room rates than Quality and did the buffet for about the same price ... all on short notice. I'm not saying we would not have received the same treatment from the Quality Inn, but I know their decision to charge us anything has upset many sledders on this forum.

The $300.00 was not the issue. It was the fact that they didnt even know the final numbers for the banquet. SO how could they have actually bought anything. If it was a normal function then fine. But to charge a charity function $300.00 for cancellation was a bit much. If it were my business I would have said collect the $300.00 and I will donate it to the charity or forget it but put my hotel on your website for some advertising.

What they did do was assure themselves of being left off the list of where to hold the next run.

We have a cabin that we rent out. The rate is 175 per night for up to 4 guests.

If someone books it 4 weeks in advance, I am telling others who inquire that it is not available for that date.

Then, the guest cancels for whatever reason. Now I have 1-3 days to hope that someone will call & want it for those dates. People plan trips more than 2-3 days in advance usually so the chance that I will re-rent those dates are slim to none.

I end up loosing out on what is already a short season. After investing thousands on advertising & constructing the property so that sledders or vacationers will be comfortable during their stay, I am now loosing out on the small bit of money that I would have earned for my trouble.

So now someone calls to book the cabin. I now ask for payment up front and will only refund due to a cancellation if I am able to re-rent the dates. Sound reasonable?

It is the fact that a business "is in it for the money" is why people have jobs, an economy & the means to even donate to charities such as the Ride for Kelly.

Please keep this in mind when judging the actions of businesses. We need them as much as they need us.

It is my hope that both sledders & businesses can come together and have one voice this weekend in support of a common goal. No one is perfect & we all make choices at times where in hindsight, we would have done things differently. Let’s move past the arguments and get on the same page so that we can make a real difference for volunteering & snowmobiling alike.

Just trying to shed some light.

Trax -- as both a long-time sledder and a participant in the charity snowmobile ride in support of the Kelly Shires Foundation this past weekend, I've been following this thread with more than a passing interest. Your latest comments above can't be left without a response, to augment the previous comments from maple regarding our group's need to move the event from the Quality Inn.

Yes, your cause in defence of PSSD volunteers is very worthy, and I (and many others in the sledding community) wish you every success in funding the defence against the MOL charges.

And yes, I think any reasonable person would agree that there clearly IS a mutually-supportive relationship between the sledding community and the businesses which support it.

However, there were clearly extenuating circumstances which FORCED our group to make a decision late last week that nobody wanted to make, and that was NOT taken lightly...to move the event to a locale where we all could be assured that we would have open trails to ride, in support of this charity event. As has been said (but perhaps needs re-emphasis), this was NOT done on a whim, for some silly preference or other selfish reason....it was a last-minute change forced on the event organizers by PSSD's decision to close their trail system without any notice, and with no information as to when trail access and grooming might be resumed. Put yourself in our group's shoes...

We all felt very sorry for Quality Inn under these circumstances, which were clearly beyond their control...but equally important, beyond the control of our group as well. Yet the QI was insistent that this group, which came together in support of a charity event, collectively cough up another $300 -- beyond the various donations of time, pledges and auction prizes -- to pay for food apparently already purchased by QI for the dinner.

The previous suggestion by usedtoskidoo of an alternate position QI could have taken...that is, that we collect the $300 and donate to the KS charity in QI's name in return for some positive exposure on this website...would have been an excellent option, and a much smarter strategy from a goodwill standpoint.

However, the bottom line is that QI's position in this situation is just plain short-sighted from a business perspective, since it has left a sour taste in the mouths of almost everyone in our group...which sure doesn't do much to foster positive thoughts when it comes time to make both group and personal decisions about future sledding venues.

Update!

Canadian Tire

Wal Mart

Rona

Resort Tapatoo

Whitestone Lake Resort

Georgian Bay Country

Rosseau Road has also donated to the poker run .

I assured Giddy up that the trails would reopen before the weekend and indeed they did !

I was shocked and dissapionted in the moving of the ride as I had mentioned it would indeed have worked here .

Without this action the OFSC was letting (and still may) a volenteer swing for someone elses actions .They now are finally meeting with PSSD to get involved.

To have publicly stated an end date to the trail closure would have undermined the result.

Most groceries seem to be delivered to the Quality Inn on tuesday I expect that they "top up " as needed from the local grocery stores late in the week according to numbers.

Did anyone ask for a donation ? How about a discount on a future event ?

The Quality Inn hot tub works (apparantly an important party device :shock: )

Other bookings were turned down to accomadate the OC function that could not be rebooked

Be careful on slamming businesses like the Quality Inn that do support local snowmobiling as it may result in the withdrawl of badly needed support from the area snowmobiling organizations.

Thanks for the insight. I guess that maybe there are facts here that I am not aware of. There seems to be alot going on and it appears that it has caused a great deal of distaste.

The trail closure thing could have been handled differently for sure.

The OFSC could have stepped in to help with PR at least.

The MOL...I'm not going there.

The change of venue, understandable, could have set Plan B for Bracebridge, given the club till Thursday AM before pulling the plug, but then again, people who have to travel may not have had the luxury of waiting till Thursday. So, this was the decision & I don't question that.

Actions of the QI? As a business person, I understand where they are coming from. Yes they could have handled it other ways and if it costs them business in the future, they will have to accept that.

The distaste that the whole mess caused those in the ride is also unfortunate but very understandable.

The charity ride is quite respectable & important. Perhaps those in the PSSD who were facing this current crisis were consumed with the issues and didn't take into consideration the ride or the effects their decision would have on it & local business.

Please realize that I am not being critical of anyones opinions or points of view. I respect all the input that everyone has given. I have been learning allot here.

I just keep thinking about Michael Ryman, his wife Judy, Marilyn Derks & her family, the club volunteers, business & sledders.

The sooner we flush the small stuff, the sooner we can get on with making sure that those who deserve our support, get it.

Hey bill . No one is slamming the quality inn, we are talking about it civilly. I could show an example of slammming them. Thou protest to much. Before the trails re-opened, the qi told them they completely understand the need a new venue immediately. Then 1 day before we left the trails there re-opened. Put it this way, the customer is always right, I don't think you want the group to post the things that upset them. That would be slamming x 10

Doubtful....and in fact the Quality Inn's cancellation policy for the rooms was 24 hours notice. We were well within that time-frame and no charges were applied because of the room cancellation. We were given until Thursday at 6:00PM to confirm our numbers for dinner. I have no doubt that extra food may have been purchased by that time....however, nothing that couldn't be either frozen or used with the other events they had that same night or with the upcoming Poker Run this weekend maybe. There were two other NON SLEDDING events planned for the same evening as ours. At least ONE of those two events were having the exact same buffet as we were. I know this because we met the chef a couple of weeks ago and he told me that "it would make his life easier" if we were having the same food. Also - we had to plan our dinner later BECAUSE of the staffing situation. The schedule for staff was already going to be hectic given that there were THREE banquets they had to deal with already.

The fact is that we had to salvage what we could to make the event a success for the Kelly Shires Foundation....we did what had to be done. We waited until the very last minute to take action and could not afford to leave it to a "wait and see" situation until Thursday. In fact, we cancelled the event well before the Thursday 6:00PM deadline that they gave us to confirm our numbers for dinner - there should have been NO CHARGE! We certainly didn't want to make this decision as we had already invested alot of OUR VOLUNTEER time to make it a success. We are volunteers too remember????

I am offended at your suggestion "that Pehaps the Riverside would be willing to cover the $300 as I am sure that they earned far more than that in profits" Shame on you for stating such a thing!!! The Riverside Inn did an outstanding job in accommodating our group at the "last minute" and bent over backwards to help us make this a successful charity event!!!

Maybe you should be aware of ALL THE FACTS before you make a statement like that!

I assured Giddy up that the trails would reopen before the weekend and indeed they did !

I was shocked and dissapionted in the moving of the ride as I had mentioned it would indeed have worked here .

Without this action the OFSC was letting (and still may) a volenteer swing for someone elses actions .They now are finally meeting with PSSD to get involved.

To have publicly stated an end date to the trail closure would have undermined the result.

Most groceries seem to be delivered to the Quality Inn on tuesday I expect that they "top up " as needed from the local grocery stores late in the week according to numbers.

Other bookings were turned down to accomadate the OC function that could not be rebooked

Be careful on slamming businesses like the Quality Inn that do support local snowmobiling as it may result in the withdrawl of badly needed support from the area snowmobiling organizations.

Bill:

You did not in fact "assure me" that the trails would be open....nobody could "guarantee 100%" that they would re-open before the weekend that I spoke to on Wednesday....including the President of one of the clubs involved.......you told me to be patient - that's all. We waited all day to hear a response from somebody about the trails...unfortunately waiting any longer was not an option. In fact - the announcement was finally made on Thursday at 6:00PM.....we certainly could not have waited until that time to see what would happen. I am sure you are personally disappointed about moving the ride....but.....it's not about YOU. It was about raising funds for a wonderful charity - Kelly Shires.....not Bill!

Bill:

You did not in fact "assure me" that the trails would be open....nobody could "guarantee 100%" that they would re-open before the weekend that I spoke to on Wednesday....including the President of one of the clubs involved.......you told me to be patient - that's all. We waited all day to hear a response from somebody about the trails...unfortunately waiting any longer was not an option. In fact - the announcement was finally made on Thursday at 6:00PM.....we certainly could not have waited until that time to see what would happen. I am sure you are personally disappointed about moving the ride....but.....it's not about YOU. It was about raising funds for a wonderful charity - Kelly Shires.....not Bill!

We offered support for the charity and we still intend to support in the future as we have in the past . We in no way would have benifitted from the ride . Your comment about the ride benifiting me is insulting and out of line please withdraw it.

This thread is definitely going off-topic. Trax, what you and Wildbill are doing for the PSSD is great ... no one should take that away from you. We simply wanted to point out the result of our moving the Kelly Shires event to Bracebridge ... maybe this shouldn't have been the thread to do it, and I apologize for hijacking the thread.

We have no issue with the PSSD and, if in the area, will probably support the Poker Run this weekend (I hope I'm not speaking out of turn). Our issue is with the Quality Inn and their decisions regarding our event. 'Losing' $300 is nothing compared to losing the good-will and future business of many sledders.

I hope we can close the topic of the Quality Inn, at least on this thread, and get back to the original reason for Trax's post - the PSSD Poker Run this weekend. I hope it is a huge success!

Bill:

We offered support for the charity and we still intend to support in the future as we have in the past . We in no way would have benifitted from the ride . Your comment about the ride benifiting me is insulting and out of line please withdraw it.

Bill - your comment "I assured Giddy up that the trails would reopen before the weekend and indeed they did ! " is untrue and makes it appear that I had absolute knowledge that the trails would reopen, however, and disregarded your "inside information" and went ahead and arbitrarily moved the event anyway! The decision was not mine alone to make. The rest of your comments certainly make it appear that you are more concerned about the ride moving from the PSSD than the ride being a successful event. I didn't say that you would have benefited personally from that. It was unfortunate that the timing of this whole issue with the PSSD happened last week. I completely understand and sympathize with all parties involved in this unfortunate turn of events with the MOL, and fully support all the volunteers and clubs in their efforts. Unfortunately we needed to know about the trail situation prior to the 24hr cancellation policy for the rooms - most people were booked for two nights arriving on Friday - which means that they would need to cancel their rooms by Thursday AM to avoid being charged - no press release - comment - or phone call was received until Thursday PM . Therefore, every person that attended our ride could have been charged 1 night's accommodation if in fact the trails didn't re-open and we hadn't cancelled prior to that time. Can you imagine how many people would have been upset then? It wouldn't have been just a $300 charge (which in itself is wrong), but $109.00 plus tax per person on top of it!

I fully support all the clubs and Districts and what all the volunteers do on behalf of all sledders.

This thread is definitely going off-topic. Trax, what you and Wildbill are doing for the PSSD is great ... no one should take that away from you. We simply wanted to point out the result of our moving the Kelly Shires event to Bracebridge ... maybe this shouldn't have been the thread to do it, and I apologize for hijacking the thread.

We have no issue with the PSSD and, if in the area, will probably support the Poker Run this weekend (I hope I'm not speaking out of turn). Our issue is with the Quality Inn and their decisions regarding our event. 'Losing' $300 is nothing compared to losing the good-will and future business of many sledders.

I hope we can close the topic of the Quality Inn, at least on this thread, and get back to the original reason for Trax's post - the PSSD Poker Run this weekend. I hope it is a huge success!

Well said Maple!

Bill:

Bill - your comment "I assured Giddy up that the trails would reopen before the weekend and indeed they did ! " is untrue and makes it appear that I had absolute knowledge that the trails would reopen, however, and disregarded your "inside information" and went ahead and arbitrarily moved the event anyway! The decision was not mine alone to make. The rest of your comments certainly make it appear that you are more concerned about the ride moving from the PSSD than the ride being a successful event. I didn't say that you would have benefited personally from that. It was unfortunate that the timing of this whole issue with the PSSD happened last week. I completely understand and sympathize with all parties involved in this unfortunate turn of events with the MOL, and fully support all the volunteers and clubs in their efforts. Unfortunately we needed to know about the trail situation prior to the 24hr cancellation policy for the rooms - most people were booked for two nights arriving on Friday - which means that they would need to cancel their rooms by Thursday AM to avoid being charged - no press release - comment - or phone call was received until Thursday PM . Therefore, every person that attended our ride could have been charged 1 night's accommodation if in fact the trails didn't re-open and we hadn't cancelled prior to that time. Can you imagine how many people would have been upset then? It wouldn't have been just a $300 charge (which in itself is wrong), but $109.00 plus tax per person on top of it!

I fully support all the clubs and Districts and what all the volunteers do on behalf of all sledders.

I did indeed tell you that I was sure that the trails would be ok for the weekend . I congratulate you on your successful event . Perhaps the QI would have been willing to adjust thier room policy in order to have allowed a later cancellation .

I do know for a fact that the QI gives more to the local clubs than any other area accomadation provider .From the free use of a repair shop for the groomers,free parking and plug in and fuel tank storage for the groomers to the use of meeting facilities for in excess of 20 evenings last year for the clubs and district and including free parking and staging for several OFSC rides last year .

I suggest that you and I giddy if we wish to discuss this further could do this most effectively by phone or by pm instead of hijacking this topic. Indeed you can count on our support next year for the Kelly Shires event.

Well said Maple!

Agree 100%, nicely wrapped up, Maple.

People people .......it's water under the bridge now........as the title say's let's get thing's rolling for PSSD or we won't have trail's to ride on(that will be another hot topic)........Wildbill/Trax can u get contact ## up/paypal etc so we can make a donation to the PSSD.

Archived