Sled Sales Down

Canuck

I was going to post that Envy Rides (a GTA Yamaha dealer) has closed. Jack n Jill's closing has been reported. We purchased accessories from the first; sleds from the second. Sorry to see them close.

The 'big picture' is that snowmobile sales were down last year. Here's a summary from a U.S. Publication. Last year's numbers seem particularly low - 37,760 sleds sold in Canada; US had 48,599. (in 2008, the year prior, sales were 49,510/61,593).

My two cents? Why can't someone build a basic sled (at a reasonable price) to get younger people interested in sledding ?(the article suggests government compliance adds a lot to the final price). Many new sleds cost more than new cars.

My other two cents? Why are used sleds still so expensive ?(there is an oc.com thread on this).

Anyhow, here's the article ..................................

Snowmobile sales drop 24.2% worldwide, registrations also decline

By Mark Savage, American Snowmobiler

Snowmobile sales fell again last season as economies around the world struggled through the recession.

Worldwide snowmobile sales fell 24.2 % to 111,492 units from 147,066 in the 2008-’09 season.

U.S. sales dropped 21% to 48,599 snowmobiles from 61,593 the year before. Likewise Canadian sled sales dropped 23.9% to 37,670 from 49,510 sleds sold the previous season.

The figures are compiled by the International Snowmobile Manufacturers Association (ISMA), which also reported that snowmobile registrations fell 9.2% nationally last season.

Ed Klim, ISMA’s president, blamed a number of factors, but the economy was No. 1. In the U.S., the struggling auto industry, which laid off many workers in both Michigan and Ontario, was a major deterrent to sales and registrations.

Klim said that the loss of manufacturing jobs in Ontario, coupled with a horrible snow season there contributed largely to Canada’s decreased snowmobile sales. While overseas the devaluation of Russia’s rubble vs. the Euro, along with falling oil prices that hit Russian snowmobilers in their wallets, cut sled sales dramatically. Russia is a major oil exporter and the uptick in that industry had been fueling sled sales for several years.

Klim

However, heading into this season Klim says ISMA is anticipating an uptick in sales everywhere as the economies in Russia and Canada in particular have gained strength. He believes there is a lot of pent-up demand and that interest in the new products from the Big 4 has been strong through the spring and summer.

Additionally, the rising prices in the used sled market and decreased availability of used sleds may force buyers back into dealerships for a new snowmobile, he said. Klim also notes that dealer inventory of non-current models is way down, so there will be fewer older models being offered at discounted prices this season. Basically the sales pipeline is clean which traditionally helps current model year product sell better.

"We’re in our best shape in years," Klim said of manufacturer and dealer inventory of older models.

Klim sees the market in the next several years being primarily driven by price, but he notes that government regulations continue to add cost to each new sled. He estimates more than $1,000 of each sled’s price goes to pay for emission testing, from equipment to engineers that perform the tests.

Registration numbers, which measures how many people are using their snowmobiles each season, fell to 1.5 million down from 1.65 million the season before. But a few key states brought the registrations down, again the devastated auto industry playing a key role. Michigan was down about 97,000 sled registrations and neighboring Ohio lost roughly 12,000. Other states with large loses were Maine, which dropped about 11,000; New Hampshire, 8,000; New York, 5,000; and out west, Utah and Idaho each had about 7,000 fewer registrations.

States that saw increased registrations included Wisconsin, up about 6,000, along with Indiana, Iowa, Montana, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, South Dakota and Wyoming, each with marginal gains.

Klim also said ISMA statistics show snowmobilers rode a little less this past season, averaging just less than 1,000 miles, the first time that has happened in years.

My two cents? Why can't someone build a basic sled (at a reasonable price) to get younger people interested in sledding ?(the article suggests government compliance adds a lot to the final price). Many new sleds cost more than new cars.

I came here to jokingly post how you can still pick up a brand new Bravo for under $5K, but then I discovered that you cannot even do that anymore.

15k for an 800etech for 2 months of the year? :rolleyes:

6k for a fiver year old sled ready to blow any second? :rolleyes:

this is exactly were i come to be confused................do i buy new and loose my shirt if i sell it or do i take a chance and possibly buy a ticking time bomb....seems like a no win situation

My two cents? Why can't someone build a basic sled (at a reasonable price) to get younger (or anyone else for that matter) people interested in sledding ?(the article suggests government compliance adds a lot to the final price). Many new sleds cost more than new cars.

My other two cents? Why are used sleds still so expensive ?(there is an oc.com thread on this).

My dilemna exactly....after having sold my touring couch last year in a fruitless pursuit of something more manueverable, yet easy to work on, and not too expensive, that wouldn't blow up (and didn't expect to get reamed $1,000 for an add on seat for example)I find my heart is in the sport, but my wallet is unwilling. Last yeat I would have been able to sled for only 3 weekends. Still hoping something will come my way that meets my relatively minimum expectations....

Itis no longer the average guy sport especially if you have a family. The lowest priced skidoo is the scandic which according to the website starts at $7299. To buy new for a family with two teenage kids = $29,196 plus trailer plus gear plus insurance and permits. Before you know it $40,000. The GSX SE is $14,999.

It can't be labour that is the cost. The show How It's Made was in the BRP factory last season and they showed if I recall that it is 4 hours start to finish to build a sled. It would be nice if there was a reliable basic affordable sled.

In comparison. I can buy a Ford Focus with a list price of $14,249. $750.00 less than the GSX SE. Now if I can find a way to put a track and skis on the Focus...

Ialso find it a little disheartening about new purchase prices here as well.

I can go buy an 09 left over 1200 tnt for 8k us.

Every dealer here wants 10k. Thats a little ridiculous for a 3 hour drive and a 209 dollar canadian tire fee.

Ialso find it a little disheartening about new purchase prices here as well.

I can go buy an 09 left over 1200 tnt for 8k us.

Every dealer here wants 10k. Thats a little ridiculous for a 3 hour drive and a 209 dollar canadian tire fee.

It is not just sleds, but cars/trucks as well. Perhaps not so much with the domestics, but the Japs/Germans need a serious reality check with the current CAD/US exchange. I will be looking for a basic sled for my son come January and won't mind traveling to find a decent priced one if the local prices are not reasonable. I have check some prices for over 10 year old sleds and it is mind boggling what some are asking.

The delta between US and Canadian pricing will remain until purchasers stop buying at these prices. Canadians are paying unfair prices in comparison to our US neighbors.

Im looking at boats right now and the dealers are being very resonable in new boat prices. The used market is ridiculously expensive. In most cases they want 70-80% of msrp on a ten year old boat! :rolleyes:

Im looking at boats right now and the dealers are being very resonable in new boat prices. The used market is ridiculously expensive. In most cases they want 70-80% of msrp on a ten year old boat! :rolleyes:

Go to Michigan..... :)

Go to Michigan..... :)

I just found one in Muskoka, decent dollars and big motor.. :right_on:

Sad really. I think of how much I have poured into powersports and the sledding season in particular is so short as it is. But oh the fun and thrill! Pretty hard to replace that. I ATV and although fun, and a longer season and more practical..it is nowhere near the giggle factor as sledding. Plus on a muddy ride the clean up is long and messy.

• 2 weeks later...

I ATV and although fun, and a longer season and more practical..it is nowhere near the giggle factor as sledding. Plus on a muddy ride the clean up is long and messy.

Have to agree with this. I cannot even remember the last time I used my ATV recreationally. It still gets some use as a farm vehicle.

I had an atv for 5 yrs,put 275 miles on it,,,,grooming side trails from my house,,, :mrgreen: sold is a few years ago,,,,groom way less trail now and just use the sled,, :right_on:

• 4 weeks later...

Buy a bike

Longer season

Just as much fun

More reliable

You can get decent used bikes that wont cost a arm and leg to fix

if they do break down.

More bang for your buck :)

But with all that said

I am still going to keep riding my sleds ;)

MM

for me atv's are last on the list. The fun factor is ok but nothing like snowmobiling. Sleds #1, seadooing #2 atv a distant #3. It's too bad sledding is so expensive but we do get our moneys worth each season. My wife and I average 5000-6000 miles a year, I figured out that we spend &1.30 per mile per machine but we are in a situation that will us to do this, its certainly not for everyone. On the upside it is a little less dangerous on the trails compared to the 90's........exept for southern ontario, it's still nuts down there.

To each their own. I will stick with sledding. I have tried a friends Seadoo and quickly realized after the novelty wore off I would be back to the 22 foot bowrider. ATV's a remote possibility but I already have the summer occupied with other things such as the boat. The spring and fall are change over seasons and work around the house. Put away the the toys of one season and get out the other. The ATV'ers that come in covered in mud from head to toe... I just don't see where the fun is in that. I hear the go on about the mud they managed to get through. Like I said to each their own. As for a bike... if I were retired in cottage country maybe but in Toronto... never. Too dangerous on the roads. Not the bike is too dangerous. The idiots around me are.

• 2 weeks later...

I bomb around on my sled for fun, but I get more hrs on it using it to get around on the farm in winter than on the trails ... beats bogging down the atv in deep snow

Archived