Town Trails

RevRiders

First I want to be clear I am not bashing volunteers but after our last ride I have to wonder if there not a better way for feedback on the town

trails conditions...we rode through North Bay on a northern loop and man..BRUTAL comes to mind.

It would be beneficial to know how much road running is required to get through either big or small town and ya I know what limited means

but with the lack of snow this year it would sure be nice to know if you are running 200' on roads or a mile.

We experienced the same thing in Orillia but this time it was on the main trails sometimes running 1 mile or more on asphalt

Maybe it is to tall of a order to have more info but me for 1 would sure as hell appreciate it.

First I want to be clear I am not bashing volunteers but after our last ride I have to wonder if there not a better way for feedback on the town

trails conditions...we rode through North Bay on a northern loop and man..BRUTAL comes to mind.

It would be beneficial to know how much road running is required to get through either big or small town and ya I know what limited means

but with the lack of snow this year it would sure be nice to know if you are running 200' on roads or a mile.

We experienced the same thing in Orillia but this time it was on the main trails sometimes running 1 mile or more on asphalt

Maybe it is to tall of a order to have more info but me for 1 would sure as hell appreciate it.

I can't give you a direct answer to your question but... I think the road running is only going to get worse. Towns keep growing and people do not want sleds 'in their backyard'. There is also the loss of trails due to riders going where there're asked not to. As property changes hands new owners do not want a trail on there land. Then there are new subdivisions being built on farmland where trails once were. It all adds up to road running. It sucks!

It would be nice to have a sign letting us know how long to follow a road. On our trip to Quebec this year we ran a road for 45 mins. Now that was brutal!

Maybe someone can volunter to get all of the trails converted so we can load it on

Google Earth!!

Maybe someone can volunter to get all of the trails converted so we can load it on

Google Earth!!

More tracks need to be available and higher resolution images are needed on Google earth.

post-21236-126817766249.jpg

I am working on it.

The GPS guys are way ahead though, this is just a snapshot

I have just loaded my trips onto Google Earth. When I open this I can zoom-in with great detail, I can even set up a tour that retraces the route.

These pop down wheels will be a necessity, get 'em at the sled show in September...$150 cash. Install yourself in 30 minutes

post-21236-126817834805.jpg

You can drive all day on the roads, no damage, you can even steer.

These pop down wheels will be a necessity, get 'em at the sled show in September...$150 cash. Install yourself in 30 minutes

Looks great for pavement. What about plowed trail ? For instance where there are lumbering operations and the plows have taken the trail down to rough road with lots of bare spots. Won't the wheels pop back up in those circumstances? Even though there are really rough conditions for your carbides and skis?

Looks great for pavement. What about plowed trail ? For instance where there are lumbering operations and the plows have taken the trail down to rough road with lots of bare spots. Won't the wheels pop back up in those circumstances? Even though there are really rough conditions for your carbides and skis?

I have had a pair of Ski Wheelz for 4 years now. They are basically just bogie wheels on a spring loaded bracket. They work well on relatively smooth surfaces.

I wouldn't want to try them on real rough stuff as I think somthing would break on them. I have never had them pop back up out of the way as advertised (at least not when I wanted them to) when I got back into snow. Maybe the 4 stroke Yamie is just too heavy on the front.

The downside is that if you are riding in a pack of sleds where the others don't have wheelz, you hold them up getting on/off the sled to put them up or down, not to mention having to undo your shield cord. I have seen some electric/hydraulic ones with a dash switch. That would be great if they are reliable.

Sure has saved my concrete driveway and really makes moving the sled around the shop easy. I'll likely have some type on the next sled.

Going back to my original post...is there a opportunity to have more information about the status of a trail?

When going to a location that we have never rode it is nice to know what we are getting into..not just the wear and tear of your equipment how about takeing of a novice rider?

Anyway that is my end of season rant...

There's no road running on any North Bay Snowmobiler Club trails other than a few kms on NB308 (Forest Access Road)and it was snow covered until trails closed on Monday.

NBSC trails start at Trout Lake and go north from there.

Perhaps you were travelling on TOP D south of North Bay.

BB - NBSC

Going back to my original post...is there a opportunity to have more information about the status of a trail?

When going to a location that we have never rode it is nice to know what we are getting into..not just the wear and tear of your equipment how about takeing of a novice rider?

A lot of times road running is a result of trail closures/re-routes. These will not be on your maps because you never know when it is going to happen.

post-21236-126817766249.jpg

I am working on it.

The GPS guys are way ahead though, this is just a snapshot

I have just loaded my trips onto Google Earth. When I open this I can zoom-in with great detail, I can even set up a tour that retraces the route.

Detail is based on which sector you're in on Google Earth. A few years ago there was very little detail and I found it not very useful. Back when there was a forum for google earth and you could do searches, there was a guy who posted District 1 GPS tracks/trails and a jpeg of the trail map. That was neat at the time. I have played with loading a files in the past but my computer, P4, was too slow.

I have seen a few people use them and if they are $150 they have come down in price significantly from the first time I looked at them. They will indeed save wear on the carbides but be careful not to get to over confident about the road running. They will do nothing for keeping the sliders cool or a liquid cooled sled. I can remember a group of us trying to make it through Bala once to get fuel and the only way was to run bare pavement. The problem we encountered was the sleds overheating without snow to keep them cool.

At $150.00 I'll probably get some.

Best place is a board like this. Ask for current reports from people who have recently been on the trails you're planning to travel. Lay out your route for the readers and get their feedback.

OFSC, in their new enlightened no liability approach to the world is going to give you Open/Limited/Closed. Even a brand new map is 'too old' to take into account a last minute trail closure, uncooperative swamp, land owner issue, logging operations etc.

You'll get answers to your questions in a forum such as this.

...At $150.00 I'll probably get some.

From what I have seen it was $150 per ski. If it's $150 a pair I would look at them.

...At $150.00 I'll probably get some.

From what I have seen it was $150 per ski. If it's $150 a pair I would look at them.

I paid about $250 for a set. They work great!

It is part of the sport, deal with it. It is much the same as hiway construction........you never know when or where you are going to come across it. As for somebody taking the time to try and inform of any "inconveniences" on a use at own risk trail, it is a waste of time. I'm just glad somebody takes the time to stake, sign and maintain trails for us to ride. Thanks to all the clubs and volunteers, you do a great job, and I appreciate it.

They were $150 two years ago, be careful there are 2-3 types. You don't need the expensive ones, we have had no problems with ours (6 sleds).

No overheat problems either but we've only done a few minutes of road running at a time and most of our Yamaha 4 strokes have rads and aux. fans.

I would love to see the hydraulic actuated ones though.

Archived