&%$#$ ATVers

dweese

So I'm out and about today and took a swing by the Belleville trail head to see if they had grommed it yet. As they just put in a parking area at the end of the trail this fall. And up the trail in all the fresh snow was about 4 sets of ATV tracks. :soapbox:

The 15cm of new snow that had fallen in the last few days was nothing but a mud bog of 4-wheeler tracks. I have my doubts it can be groomed out and fixed, but here hoping. And I hope the guys on the ATVs meet up with an OPP thats a sledder ;-)

There are other morons out on the trails besides ATV'ers. Cross country skiiers are also a pain in the ass. I have encountered three separate groups of morons out skiing on the OFSC trails. I was also 100 percent positive that these were also not landowners either. Just plain dangerous and stupid. One was even dumb enough to park right on the trail! Skiiers just don't do as much damage as ATV's, but can be more dangerous.

There are other morons out on the trails besides ATV'ers. Cross country skiiers are also a pain in the ass. I have encountered three separate groups of morons out skiing on the OFSC trails. I was also 100 percent positive that these were also not landowners either. Just plain dangerous and stupid. One was even dumb enough to park right on the trail! Skiiers just don't do as much damage as ATV's, but can be more dangerous.

Be careful on this one ! In our area we have several shared use trails like the Seguin trail,Rosepoint trail ,Fitness trail etc. that do allow other NON motorized uses as well we use some cottage roads where the owners of the road do and can use thier atv's to access thier property . Know before you get involved with another trail user .

Be careful on this one ! In our area we have several shared use trails like the Seguin trail,Rosepoint trail ,Fitness trail etc. that do allow other NON motorized uses as well we use some cottage roads where the owners of the road do and can use thier atv's to access thier property . Know before you get involved with another trail user .

Bill I am very well aware that some have special permission to be on an OFSC trail other than for sledding.

Your area designates such use, and that is fine. I am referring to the Haliburton area and as such things are different here.

In every case this year, I was 100 percent sure that these morons who were skiing on the OFSC trails were NOT supposed to be there doing such. That was why I was CAREFUL to say that in the first place. In two instances I know the landowners and know that there was no special permission given to be skiing on the trails,let alone park their cars on the middle of the trail!!!The third time I spoke to the people skiing and they had no clue that they were not supossed to be there, thought it was okay to ski there. I am pretty careful to not just stop and accuse somebody of tresspassing. Pretty much in Haliburton the few multi use paths are limited to sledding in the winter only and are posted as such, clearly stating that for other purposes, the trail is closed except to sledders. There are no ATV's allowed, no equestrian uses, no walking or skiing. This would be the rail trail. Other recreational trails are clearly marked as such and do not interfere with the OFSC network. There are a couple places where sap is collected for sugaring and as such those landowners from time to time access their property via OFSC trails to check their collection equipment. This is NOT what I was referencing at all. I was specifically relating to skiiers on trails as being dangerous.

Ya this is a non-ATV use trail as well. They tryed to get it opened up a few years back for summer use ATVs but it got shut down before it started. Took a drive passed again last night, more ATV tracks and no sign of a groomer, look likes maybe the local club has just given up for the year. :whatever:

Came across an ATV'er in the timmins area this past weekend. He tore the trail completely. Ruts everywhere. And of course he didn't just drive straight forward either, he had to go from side to side on the trail. THIS IS WHERE THE COPS SHOULD BE MAKING AN IMPACT!! I'll dicress now (spelling), the trail was freshly groomed within hours to, what a waste. :whatever:

... He tore the trail completely. Ruts everywhere. And of course he didn't just drive straight forward either, he had to go from side to side on the trail...

I believe these ATVers do this at seasons end to get the trails closed so they have access to them. The clubs will not groom late in the year to fix the ruts. They just close the trails early for the year.

soapbox.gif

... He tore the trail completely. Ruts everywhere. And of course he didn't just drive straight forward either, he had to go from side to side on the trail...

I believe these ATVers do this at seasons end to get the trails closed so they have access to them. The clubs will not groom late in the year to fix the ruts. They just close the trails early for the year.

soapbox.gif

Permission to use a very bad word here ??

granted...........do I get the first guess :phonecall:

• 7 months later...

Figure this is the thread to vent on.

ATVers can't read. Our family owns acreage that has access on Crown Land to E107. We've owned the property since the early 80s (grandparents' property before '69) & after we had it logged we installed a gate & posted signs. Usually we'll see tracks where folks on dirt bikes or ATVs have turned around when they came to the gate. Well the other week, we're @ the front section of the property & I see ATV tracks thru the grass.

I think that a friend who has access has been down on his ATV. I see him later & ask him if he was down @ the lot. He says yes, but he took his truck in. So I figure the neighbours who've been logging have crossed over onto one of our old skidding trails. I follow the tracks to the property line & they turned around. There was no way the neighbours could've gotten thru their bush to the line.

I drive out the trail to the gate & see where the ATV has been ridden up & over a 4' berm to get around the gate. There's a large tree down, so I drag it over w/ the truck so now they have to climb over a 12" log on top of the bank.

End of rant.

• 2 weeks later...

Figure this is the thread to vent on.

ATVers can't read. Our family owns acreage that has access on Crown Land to E107. We've owned the property since the early 80s (grandparents' property before '69) & after we had it logged we installed a gate & posted signs. Usually we'll see tracks where folks on dirt bikes or ATVs have turned around when they came to the gate. Well the other week, we're @ the front section of the property & I see ATV tracks thru the grass.

I think that a friend who has access has been down on his ATV. I see him later & ask him if he was down @ the lot. He says yes, but he took his truck in. So I figure the neighbours who've been logging have crossed over onto one of our old skidding trails. I follow the tracks to the property line & they turned around. There was no way the neighbours could've gotten thru their bush to the line.

I drive out the trail to the gate & see where the ATV has been ridden up & over a 4' berm to get around the gate. There's a large tree down, so I drag it over w/ the truck so now they have to climb over a 12" log on top of the bank.

End of rant.

Most ATV riders, myself included respect private property signage and using restrain crossing soft spots on the trail. But there are some who think they can go anywhere and leave destruction in there wake. These few morons will be the destructive force that will ruin snowmobiling and atv rinding for us all in the neer future. The ruts I have seen this summer, left some trails impassable. Last year sledding some groomed trails where left in the same state till the passing of the groomer. What can be done? A few ruining it for the rest of us.

- This is the main reason I got out of ATVing after enjoying it for 7 years.

- It seemed like everytime I went out, there were some idiots that had destroyed the trail.

- It just got to the point where I decided to get back into sledding. (I had been out of it for 13years)

- I don't think they'll ruin sledding for us, they're gonna ruin what little access they have. And I hope they lose all their rights in the process!

- But...on the other hand, what about those select sledder's who end up going off trail into seeded fields or private land and then permission gets revoked?

- There's idiots everywhere.

- It seemed like everytime I went out, there were some idiots that had destroyed the trail.

- It just got to the point where I decided to get back into sledding. (I had been out of it for 13years)

- I don't think they'll ruin sledding for us, they're gonna ruin what little access they have. And I hope they lose all their rights in the process!

- But...on the other hand, what about those select sledder's who end up going off trail into seeded fields or private land and then permission gets revoked?

You hit it bang on. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. One of our trails runs around the outside of a farm field. It is well staked and signed and caution tape at the corner. I have often seen signs indicating winter wheat. Keep off. And still the idiots run across the open field to play in the powder. I really wonder why at times the land owner lets us keep coming back. Hopefully it's because there is enough snow down that his crop doesn't get damaged.

You hit it bang on. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. One of our trails runs around the outside of a farm field. It is well staked and signed and caution tape at the corner. I have often seen signs indicating winter wheat. Keep off. And still the idiots run across the open field to play in the powder. I really wonder why at times the land owner lets us keep coming back. Hopefully it's because there is enough snow down that his crop doesn't get damaged.

I don't think that one set of tracks would damage, but a beaten path would (correct me if I am wrong). Still no excuse when people are kind enough to allow us the use of their land and then go against their wishes. :headbang:

You hit it bang on. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone. One of our trails runs around the outside of a farm field. It is well staked and signed and caution tape at the corner. I have often seen signs indicating winter wheat. Keep off. And still the idiots run across the open field to play in the powder.

What's so hard to comprehend about a No trespassing or Winter Wheat Planted sign? I guess we're dealing w/ the shallow end of the gene pool regardless what the sport is.

Yet these same dicks will be screaming the loudest when a trail is closed or rerouted along a road.

I don't think that one set of tracks would damage, but a beaten path would (correct me if I am wrong). Still no excuse when people are kind enough to allow us the use of their land and then go against their wishes. :headbang:

One set of tracks does do damage. As well as offend the landowner. That does even more damage.

One set of tracks does do damage. As well as offend the landowner. That does even more damage.

Bill kinda hit it bang on, the damage is the PO,d owner not to the actual crop.

We have many trails that cross planted wheat fields and 99% of the time you,d never know the trail was there come spring. Winter wheat is pretty hardy, it likes snow to cover it and protect it, even packed down/groomed trails. Any damage Ive seen is from the tools who have to pin it at every stop/corner and actually rip the plant right out, or areas like corners in low snow years where you are right down to the dirt. Sometimes we pay crop damage, thats cool, both the club and land owner know what can happen and some choose to move the trail over a field or two to match the crop rotation and avoid any risk. But most time we leave no trace.

I wont even start on my ATV rant.

Cheers, Todd

Archived