when meeting A-holes

cehyoopers

driving like a old man

hey,I resemble that remark,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

how does an old man drive,btw,we have not rode together have we,,,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
driving like a old man

hey,I resemble that remark,,,, :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

how does an old man drive,btw,we have not rode together have we,,,,, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

iam a old man also ....come on out with me and ill show you how this old man drives :coffeespit::wavey:

if everyone took a little time to think about what they are doing reguardless if they are speeding or driving like a old man and stopped taking there half of the trail by starting off by driving in the middle ....stay on your own side of the trail also when you stop get your sleds off the trails or stop in a safe place where other sledders can see you amd have plenty of time to react in a safe manner...every year i come around a blind corner or over a hill and there are sleds and drivers standing in the middle of the trails acting like the on-coming sleds are in the wrong.

We have a winner!

Snowmobiling isn't a hard sport to master, but you have to wonder about the collective brain power of some sledders out there. Is it the fact that the trails don't have a yellow line down the middle or shoulders on the side that causes people to ride like they do or stop in low visibility locations?

I would hate to see some of these people when they get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.

I met 3 sleds yesterday on E107 just north of Apsley. The 1st sledder motioned 2 sleds behind & it was a hundred yards or so before I met the next sled. Then another 100 yards or so I met another sledder (a girl w/ a pink accented jacket) trying keep up on a fairly new sled. Her tracks were all over the trail (thru the middle on blind corners & hills). I wonder if her husband or b/f spent much time teaching her to stay on her side of the trail?

I have always wondered why we all need to be taught to drive a car, motorcycle, and to some extent PWC, but why can anyone with a drivers licence jump on a snowmobile for the first time and have no or little idea of the "rules of the trails" My kids both drive sleds and have both taken a course to obtain a licence to legally ride the trails. This course should be manditory or all sledders. It is not the same as driving a car . A good portion of the people out there can't do that very well either.We have all followed that "newbee" style sledder riding down the trail with there mirrors pointed to the sky,driving straight up the centre of the trail ,over hills etc and the only way this will ever change is to educate them with manditory training. Sometimes common sense doesn't always prevail. Just my 2

not to sure where you come up with that statement, many of the rules of the road apply to the trails, although technique, as in driver input is different. The youth snowmobile training coarse teaches the rules of the MSVA, which are very much the same as the rules of the road.

Let me ask you Ritchie, do you see people driving their car up the center of the road? Do you come close to a head on crash while going around a corner while driving your car? Driving a sled is much the same as driving up a county road that does not have a center line painted on it, do you drive your car up the center of a county road? I'm sure you don't, and nor should anybody drive up the center of the trail on sled, regardless of speed.

I find this topic very interesting, my riding style fits in the middle of all this. I ride extremely fast, but in a safe manner, HARD RIGHT. I get lotsa people shaking their fist at me, and it is always the one's riding up the middle of the trail, if they don't move to their right side, I don't slow down. If they move over, I will show courtesy as well. As for the animals that take the inside of every corner and show no respect for oncoming traffic, well they won't like me this year. I have decided that if someone is going to run me off the trail, I will chase them down and stuff them in the bush.......this is the only thing that will stop this crap. Most of these hooligans don't have a clue of what fast is, all they are is reckless.

I have always wondered why we all need to be taught to drive a car, motorcycle, and to some extent PWC, but why can anyone with a drivers licence jump on a snowmobile for the first time and have no or little idea of the "rules of the trails" My kids both drive sleds and have both taken a course to obtain a licence to legally ride the trails. This course should be manditory or all sledders. It is not the same as driving a car . A good portion of the people out there can't do that very well either.We have all followed that "newbee" style sledder riding down the trail with there mirrors pointed to the sky,driving straight up the centre of the trail ,over hills etc and the only way this will ever change is to educate them with manditory training. Sometimes common sense doesn't always prevail. Just my 2

not to sure where you come up with that statement, many of the rules of the road apply to the trails, although technique, as in driver input is different. The youth snowmobile training coarse teaches the rules of the MSVA, which are very much the same as the rules of the road.

Let me ask you Ritchie, do you see people driving their car up the center of the road? Do you come close to a head on crash while going around a corner while driving your car? Driving a sled is much the same as driving up a county road that does not have a center line painted on it, do you drive your car up the center of a county road? I'm sure you don't, and nor should anybody drive up the center of the trail on sled, regardless of speed.

I find this topic very interesting, my riding style fits in the middle of all this. I ride extremely fast, but in a safe manner, HARD RIGHT. I get lotsa people shaking their fist at me, and it is always the one's riding up the middle of the trail, if they don't move to their right side, I don't slow down. If they move over, I will show courtesy as well. As for the animals that take the inside of every corner and show no respect for oncoming traffic, well they won't like me this year. I have decided that if someone is going to run me off the trail, I will chase them down and stuff them in the bush.......this is the only thing that will stop this crap. Most of these hooligans don't have a clue of what fast is, all they are is reckless.

BTW, Yes to all three of your first. but only when i can see far enough ahead to do so in a safe manner. When a hill appears its only common sense to keep right. I am not sure of your age but I am guessing between 25-35 as this seems to be the age that all male riders feel they are invincible.Nothing is every going to happen to me because I always do the right thing. I had this mind set at that age and eventually your number will be up. I don't think there will ever be a cure for this`mind set...only time. After seeing many near misses and guys pilled into trees you start to wonder if that extra 15-25kph is really worth it. I ride as a family now and I actually schedule my riding time around the yahoos that typically hit the trails later and are in there prime around 3-4 pm.As for policing the trails yourself ,well good luck with that approach.

hey Ritchie, if I have a collision, it is going to be because some idiot is not on their side of the trail. Further more, I am getting tired of being pretty much run over. I have been driving a sled on my own since the age of 8, I am currently 39, I kinda been doin it a while, I think if I was careless or a menace, my number would have already come up......maybe not though, eh. I log on north of 4000m a year.....maybe I am just lucky.

hey Ritchie, if I have a collision, it is going to be because some idiot is not on their side of the trail. Further more, I am getting tired of being pretty much run over. I have been driving a sled on my own since the age of 8, I am currently 39, I kinda been doin it a while, I think if I was careless or a menace, my number would have already come up......maybe not though, eh. I log on north of 4000m a year.....maybe I am just lucky.

I also started when I was 8 and I am 43 now .I have only had one minor accident a couple of years ago that put me out of work for 6 weeks. Make sure you can "afford" your riding sytle. Take it easy

I also started when I was 8 and I am 43 now .I have only had one minor accident a couple of years ago that put me out of work for 6 weeks. Make sure you can "afford" your riding sytle. Take it easy

who's fault?

I can't drive for the person coming towards me, but if they are in control, there is no problem, when they arn't, I have been able to take up their slack, so what is wrong with my riding?

who's fault?

I can't drive for the person coming towards me, but if they are in control, there is no problem, when they arn't, I have been able to take up their slack, so what is wrong with my riding?

Speed was the fault. Apparently I hit a hole in a wind swept field at a high rate of speed, on a marked OFSC trail. I say apparently because I ended up coming down on the front of the sled and ended up in the hospital with a severe concussion. You just never know , Its not always the other guy you need to look out for. Was a real eye opener as I layed around recovering for weeks on end.

oh no doubt, things happen, I take that risk knowingly. I, just like many on here, am sick of these out of control drivers, and then to the other extreme, people doing 20mph up the center of the trail.

Speed was the fault. Apparently I hit a hole in a wind swept field at a high rate of speed, on a marked OFSC trail. I say apparently because I ended up coming down on the front of the sled and ended up in the hospital with a severe concussion. You just never know , Its not always the other guy you need to look out for. Was a real eye opener as I layed around recovering for weeks on end.

man I know that feeling,in a field,in snow dust,I went a bit wide of the trail on a straight stretch,the drifts had hardened after a thaw,I was going north,the drift was straight up maybe 18 to 20 inches high,hit it hard and fast,when a long way up,no time to prepare,just bam.I slid along the snow and caught another drift with my shoulder,couple grand damage to sled,me,sore for a few weeks...

Many good points have been raised in this thread.

It is difficult to educate the ignorant fools, whose reckless and dangerous sledding antics, taint an otherwise amazing, safe and enjoyable sport. All too often, unfortunately, these morons usually consume vast amounts of booze during the course of their sledding trips.

Strict enforcement of a zero alcohol policy will eventually in time reduce the frequency of the horrific crashes and deaths attributable to these "A-holes". While the vast majority of sledders drink responsibly, is it that hard for all of us to wait until the sleds are parked at the end of the day before having the first drink. Those who drink responsibly would say it is no big deal to wait a couple of hours before having the first one. Those who have problem with booze, and unfortunately also like to sled, would argue that there is nothing wrong with drinking and sledding as long as you don't blow over when stopped or at the cop shop. They would also probably and stupidly argue that alcohol makes them more nimble and responsive to the quick maneuvers and actions required for trail riding.

Luckily, the boozing speed demons are but a small minority of sledders, but, on the other hand, represent the majority of fatality statics, causes of serious sled accidents, catastrophic injury claims and dangerous driving (sledding) convictions. More has to be done to get them off the trails. If a zero alcohol policy on the trails entailed amongst other sanctions the loss of a sled and driver's license for 48 hours and a report being sent to the offender's insurer of the incident even if he/she didn't blow over or infringe other criminal code provisions relating to impaired driving, OFSC trails in time would become much safer and less prone to bad press coverage.

I don't think any of the publicized deaths so far this winter have occurred on OFSC trails. Lakes seem to be the common factor. I don't think any have happened on roads.

Mind you the non-sledding general public doesn't make this distinction in forming their opinions of us.

Good point.

At some point, however, the drunks who have died on lakes generally come from or were about to enter a trail.

I don't think any of the publicized deaths so far this winter have occurred on OFSC trails. Lakes seem to be the common factor. I don't think any have happened on roads.

Mind you the non-sledding general public doesn't make this distinction in forming their opinions of us.

Would an advertising campaign (ie 'Respect') help?

I actually think that a basic campaign revolving around the term "RESPECT" may leave an impact.

It's nutty (I know), but think of the term Respect posted on OFSC materials, small trail signs (remember the Bud directional signs) etc.

Going out on a limb here, and fully expect to be cut down. If it saves one life, or results in fewer accidents, worth considering.

(If you think people can't be programmed, consider the 'elbow' sneeze. Where the heck did that come from?).

Would an advertising campaign (ie 'Respect') help?

I actually think that a basic campaign revolving around the term "RESPECT" may leave an impact.

It's nutty (I know), but think of the term Respect posted on OFSC materials, small trail signs (remember the Bud directional signs) etc.

Going out on a limb here, and fully expect to be cut down. If it saves one life, or results in fewer accidents, worth considering.

(If you think people can't be programmed, consider the 'elbow' sneeze. Where the heck did that come from?).

I think it is a good idea. Anything will help. It can't hurt. But as I said in my earlier post above, the most effective way is to completely eradicate, if possible, drinking and sledding.

But what about the idgits that ride recklessly w/o drinking? This whole "I'm the only 1 riding on the trails" mindset has to be removed as well.

Some people have said the OFSC doesn't want to tackle this problem because it would bring "outside" attention to the problem. Kind of like sticking their heads in the sand. "If we don't acknowledge the problem, then it doesn't exist."

These %^&hats consider our trails as their personal sno x tracks.

But what about the idgits that ride recklessly w/o drinking? This whole "I'm the only 1 riding on the trails" mindset has to be removed as well.

Some people have said the OFSC doesn't want to tackle this problem because it would bring "outside" attention to the problem. Kind of like sticking their heads in the sand. "If we don't acknowledge the problem, then it doesn't exist."

I think we all agree there is a problem and as mentioned it't not just with the drinking sledders it's those that think they own the trails and have little or no regard for the safety of others. One of the places that can be a start is the television shows. Just like many years ago you would see people smoking on television and think it was cool. I got home from the weekend and watched snowmobile televison show. Often I see them running sleds on OFSC trails and you just know they are doing more than the speed limit. These are exceptionally experienced riders who are very capable but you get an impressionable person perhaps in their teens who sees this and wants to do exactly the same. I don't know how many times I also see them on the show going from a stand still to a hit the throttle and dthrow up snow digging a hole. To change a culture we need to all lead by example.

I think we all agree there is a problem and as mentioned it't not just with the drinking sledders it's those that think they own the trails and have little or no regard for the safety of others. One of the places that can be a start is the television shows. Just like many years ago you would see people smoking on television and think it was cool. I got home from the weekend and watched snowmobile televison show. Often I see them running sleds on OFSC trails and you just know they are doing more than the speed limit. These are exceptionally experienced riders who are very capable but you get an impressionable person perhaps in their teens who sees this and wants to do exactly the same. I don't know how many times I also see them on the show going from a stand still to a hit the throttle and dthrow up snow digging a hole. To change a culture we need to all lead by example.

I disagree.

#1- Why do you think there is a problem? What problem? Some generic problem? A problem with what? Big News!!! Sledders will die, sledders will get into accidents. Deal with it! No matter what some poor guy/kid/women will get hurt. Its the sport we live in and generic statements about "problems" do more to hurt our sport than help it. You have to identify certain issues and deal with them. Its like anything in life. It doesnt become a problem until after it becomes a problem.

#2 Those sled shows are so boring and ridiculous it makes me want to fall asleep. If I wasnt a snowmobiler (yes yes I know.) I wouldnt even want to sled after watching a watered down half hour on boots, ice rider picks and a completely biased report on how this is the best Yamaha suspension built yet. :rolleyes:

Theose shows do nothing for the sport and lets face it the sport got very large the last years due to Blair Morgan racing and winning on a sled that anyone could buy.

The only reason our sport will increase will be through excitement and not promoting a safe environment.

Undoubtedly, making the trails booze free will make them safer, although there will remain, as you correctly point out, a few sledders who still drive recklessly.

Too frequently when I have encountered the police on the trails all they were doing were checking for registration and insurance pink slips. If one is now caught speeding on a trail with a sled the fines are set, there is no loss of demerit points and insurance companies cannot find out about the ticket through their central registry system like they can for car infractions. If these penalties were changed sledders would care about getting speeding tickets.

I ride in the Kearney, Huntsville, Almaguin and Near North areas. During the season I will encounter at least a couple of times the same individual or group of sledders who are completely out of control. If the cops sent their officers out into the trails in "unmarked sleds", as opposed to sitting at a trail/road intersection checking paperwork, these idiots would eventually get caught.

The key, in my opinion, is changing the penalties for reckless sledding and having the cops get a bit more proactive in policing the trails. A good friend of mine is a cop who is assigned during the winter to the snowmobile division. He told me that it is absolutely boring being stationed to a trail-road intersection and checking paperwork. He would welcome actually riding the trails, like you and I do, in the pursuit of idiots. He said that, if he was passed recklessly on a trail, all he would have to do is radio ahead to the next trail intersection to other officers to catch these morons.

In the end, a zero tolerance policy towards alcohol, coupled with better and more proactive policing of trails, will go a long way to cleaning things up.

I disagree.

#1- Why do you think there is a problem? What problem? Some generic problem? A problem with what? Big News!!! Sledders will die, sledders will get into accidents. Deal with it! No matter what some poor guy/kid/women will get hurt. Its the sport we live in and generic statements about "problems" do more to hurt our sport than help it. You have to identify certain issues and deal with them. Its like anything in life. It doesnt become a problem until after it becomes a problem.

#2 Those sled shows are so boring and ridiculous it makes me want to fall asleep. If I wasnt a snowmobiler (yes yes I know.) I wouldnt even want to sled after watching a watered down half hour on boots, ice rider picks and a completely biased report on how this is the best Yamaha suspension built yet. :rolleyes:

Theose shows do nothing for the sport and lets face it the sport got very large the last years due to Blair Morgan racing and winning on a sled that anyone could buy.

The only reason our sport will increase will be through excitement and not promoting a safe environment.

The problems are; Those that go too fast for the situation or conditions and with total disregard for the safety of others. Those that drink irresponsibly and then get on a sled. The perception left by those images with the public in general. Yes they are in the minority but they are still a problem. Just look at the situation just related here just over a week ago. A throttle jockey comes around a corner and does $3,000.00 damage to someone elses sled and dissappears. Or another rider who as reported here by his wife is lucky to be alive and has had knee problems and therapy since. If that is not a problem then I would like to know what is? To say it is acceptable for people to die!!! I refuse to get used to someone dying due to the arrogant negligence of some Yahoo that thinks it is cool to scream around a blind corner so fast that he crosses into the oncoming side of the trail or jumps the crest of a hill smack dab in the middle of the trail because it is cool or "exciting" with a total disregard for their own safety and even more so for the family riding in control on the other side of the corner or hill. There are plenty of opportunities for excitement. Out on the open ice where you can go as fast as you want and can see other traffic, on a designated race circuit or controlled environment BUT NOT ON A NARROW WINDING TRAIL where you endanger the lives of others. Until those throttle jockeys have a respect for the safety of others and use common sense as to where they choose to have the excitement and those that think drinking in the bar for a few hours then hoping on their sled is okay there is a problem. Just because it is the minority doesn't mean it's not a problem.

If you want to grow the sport the future is not in a bunch of middle aged testosterone adrenaline junkies wanting to scream around the trails as fast as they can. It is in getting families out where the kids will become a part of the sport at an early age and perpetuate the sport in the future.

Racing has it's place and is a valued part of the sport. Just not on the trails shared with others. Let me guess you condone doing 160 on the highway for the excitement factor.

I disagree.

Somebody PLEASE put me out of my misery!!!! A few weeks ago I quoted WB and NOW I am AGREEING with the bunny! :itwasuts:

Let's face it, folks. Many of us do this because it is fun (and dangerous). We try to reduce the danger but speed and danger is what drives the sport.

The old stock car adage, "Race on Sunday, Sell on Monday" isn't dead! The Auto industry has acknowledged it years ago and still continues to sell the cars through speed and excitement.

I disagree.

The problems are; Those that go too fast for the situation or conditions and with total disregard for the safety of others. Those that drink irresponsibly and then get on a sled. The perception left by those images with the public in general. Yes they are in the minority but they are still a problem. Just look at the situation just related here just over a week ago. A throttle jockey comes around a corner and does $3,000.00 damage to someone elses sled and dissappears. Or another rider who as reported here by his wife is lucky to be alive and has had knee problems and therapy since. If that is not a problem then I would like to know what is? To say it is acceptable for people to die!!! I refuse to get used to someone dying due to the arrogant negligence of some Yahoo that thinks it is cool to scream around a blind corner so fast that he crosses into the oncoming side of the trail or jumps the crest of a hill smack dab in the middle of the trail because it is cool or "exciting" with a total disregard for their own safety and even more so for the family riding in control on the other side of the corner or hill. There are plenty of opportunities for excitement. Out on the open ice where you can go as fast as you want and can see other traffic, on a designated race circuit or controlled environment BUT NOT ON A NARROW WINDING TRAIL where you endanger the lives of others. Until those throttle jockeys have a respect for the safety of others and use common sense as to where they choose to have the excitement and those that think drinking in the bar for a few hours then hoping on their sled is okay there is a problem. Just because it is the minority doesn't mean it's not a problem.

If you want to grow the sport the future is not in a bunch of middle aged testosterone adrenaline junkies wanting to scream around the trails as fast as they can. It is in getting families out where the kids will become a part of the sport at an early age and perpetuate the sport in the future.

Racing has it's place and is a valued part of the sport. Just not on the trails shared with others. Let me guess you condone doing 160 on the highway for the excitement factor.

Do you know what I think the problem is? Non factual posts and media bias that perpuates a negative stereotype without having a shred of bearing on future issues.

I wasnt saying it was acceptabel for people to die. I wasnt saying accidents are ok. What I was saying is that they will happen and until it gets to be an issue that it is unsafe for everyone to go out then we should deal with it on a large systemic basis.

What your doing is sensationalising the bad and negating the good. Why dont you pull up everyone's good posts about sledding. How about Evils trip to North bay and Liskeard. Or Muskoka Man's Port Sydney and sprucedale pics. Why dont you sensationalise that instead of being a harbinger of negativity and death without fact! Your as bad as the friggin media. Mcluhan was correct. The media will harp on death and destruction yet do a fluff piece once in awhile about the good of sledding. Why? Why dont you be an ambassador of the sport instead of spouting these non-factual stories.

Here is my statement and I can back it up.

Sledding is fun. Sledding has been a positive experience in my life. I know that snowmobiling has gotten safer over the years. Sledding has introduced me to fantastic people. Sledding will be an enjoyable experience for many years to come.

p.s. I dont take this stuff personally and enjoy these argumentative posts. I think they only bring good and help this sport.

I disagree.

Do you know what I think the problem is? Non factual posts and media bias that perpuates a negative stereotype without having a shred of bearing on future issues.

I wasnt saying it was acceptabel for people to die. I wasnt saying accidents are ok. What I was saying is that they will happen and until it gets to be an issue that it is unsafe for everyone to go out then we should deal with it on a large systemic basis.

What your doing is sensationalising the bad and negating the good. Why dont you pull up everyone's good posts about sledding. How about Evils trip to North bay and Liskeard. Or Muskoka Man's Port Sydney and sprucedale pics. Why dont you sensationalise that instead of being a harbinger of negativity and death without fact! Your as bad as the friggin media. Mcluhan was correct. The media will harp on death and destruction yet do a fluff piece once in awhile about the good of sledding. Why? Why dont you be an ambassador of the sport instead of spouting these non-factual stories.

Here is my statement and I can back it up.

Sledding is fun. Sledding has been a positive experience in my life. I know that snowmobiling has gotten safer over the years. Sledding has introduced me to fantastic people. Sledding will be an enjoyable experience for many years to come.

p.s. I dont take this stuff personally and enjoy these argumentative posts. I think they only bring good and help this sport.

Holy Crap ! I agree with the bunny !

The issue is not sledding it is the occasional idiot trying to cleanse the gene pool . Same problem on the highways with vehicles same idiots . I can honestly say that I have held my ground in more than one corner and bushed more than one of these idiots ,sound rough ? f------ them .

Archived