$2.33 a mile for for 107 miles

Av42medics

:D Well after starting out this winter thinking that we wer'nt going to get much snow, if any at all, I figured I'd take the chance and hold off on a permit purchase until it was warranted. Well yesterday it was. Lots of snow in the D5 Area. We sledded the Thedford/Arkona/Stratroy/Exeter/Dashwood area. :woot:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully you will put many many more miles to get the cost per mile below a quarter. Wow, think about that 1,000 miles = 25 cents per mile. Well worth it. If you had bought you permit early = 20 cents per mile.

Hopefully you will put many many more miles to get the cost per mile below a quarter. Wow, think about that 1,000 miles = 25 cents per mile. Well worth it. If you had bought you permit early = 20 cents per mile.

Thats cheap. We should raise the permit prices!

Stop stirring up bunny poop!

Im not! I think there is viable economic argument for this. I think it will solve a lot of issues; including and not limited too, trail ineqaulity, regional economic imbalance, elevation and responsibility of trail worker's and land disputes.

Im not! I think there is viable economic argument for this. I think it will solve a lot of issues; including and not limited too, trail ineqaulity, regional economic imbalance, elevation and responsibility of trail worker's and land disputes.

So.... I imagine what you are saying is that permit prices go up across the board and the Matrix is modified to include elements like those you mention?

Have I got that correct ?

The bunny doesn't have to buy one that's why! :poke:

So.... I imagine what you are saying is that permit prices go up across the board and the Matrix is modified to include elements like those you mention?

Have I got that correct ?

Absolutely! It could make the OFSC bigger, better and more powerful than ever, yet accountable!

the bunny needs to move back to georgetown, looks like he is thinking to much :lol:

I don't think the bunny has ever been accused of that!

Actually, I do think $200 for a season permit very cheap considering!

Price a golf membership or season pass for skiing or snowboarding!

Very cheap!

Hookers too ! And the ride is a LOT shorter :oops:

Hookers too ! And the ride is a LOT shorter :oops:

hey now, speak for yourself on the short ride deal. :lol:

Golf and ski memberships come with far less risk. It would be a rare event if the golf course was unable to open all summer, or the ski hill was unable to open all winter. But I recall more than one year where the local trails were only open for a week, if that.

Perhaps this is a non-issue for those of you who live in the northern regions (or exceedingly wealthy like UTS ;)), but in the south $200 is considered very expensive because there is no guaranteed level of service. I have purchased permits in the past that did not even make it on to the snowmobile. I may as well have just given $200 to some random person on the street for what that purchased gained me.

If the trail permit came with a guarantee that I will have the opportunity to ride locally for X number of weeks then it would be far more valuable. But do we really want to increase the value to the permit? You know that as soon as the clubs are no longer operating on a shoe-string budget, the land owners will want in on the profits. That is a certainty.

You know what would be cool, but very unlikely it could happen, would be to set it up on a toll system like the 407. Every sled using OFSC trails must have a transponder and have recieving points for the transponders on the trail. Eery day you use the trail, you get charged like 10-20 bucks to a maximum of 200 dollars and get billed May 31st. That way you actually paying for the time spent on the trails and not the time waiting for snow :wtf: .

Another thing is, as far as the OFSC permits now available, make them good for an entire year from time of purchase. So, since I bought my permit yesterday Jan4th 2010, it should be good til Jan4th 2011. :coffeenose:

Golf and ski memberships come with far less risk. It would be a rare event if the golf course was unable to open all summer, or the ski hill was unable to open all winter. But I recall more than one year where the local trails were only open for a week, if that.

Perhaps this is a non-issue for those of you who live in the northern regions (or exceedingly wealthy like UTS ;)), but in the south $200 is considered very expensive because there is no guaranteed level of service. I have purchased permits in the past that did not even make it on to the snowmobile. I may as well have just given $200 to some random person on the street for what that purchased gained me.

If the trail permit came with a guarantee that I will have the opportunity to ride locally for X number of weeks then it would be far more valuable. But do we really want to increase the value to the permit? You know that as soon as the clubs are no longer operating on a shoe-string budget, the land owners will want in on the profits. That is a certainty.

Life has no guarantee but in all the years I have sledded I have never not snowmobiled. Yes maybe in the south but in the traditional snowbelt area's there is always snow. The ability to get a return for your permit investment is also up to the individual. Trailer to snow area's or dont buy a permit.

Also, By doubling the price (now lets not get all excited! :P ) to $400.00 per year for a trail system as vast as ours is not that expensive.

By comparison,

A round of golf is anywhere from 50-80 bucks(im guessing that would be an average)

Ski day pass $50.00 bucks.

Movie for four $50.00

It wouldnt take long to get up to that permit price and the amount of miles and time available you could easily make that price worth it!

Not to mention the economic spin-off would add huge dollars to the economy and in the right places.

Every sled using OFSC trails must have a transponder and have recieving points for the transponders on the trail.

Check out the thread about printable permits. The system would allow the OFSC/clubs to charge in an infinite number of ways without any additional volunteer effort. You could charge by the day. You could have snowmobilers define the area they are going to ride in on a given day and be charged accordingly. Busy areas could be more expensive to ride in, helping thin out busy sections and help fund the additional grooming resources needed in that region. The best part is that we have all the technology that is needed right now, without the need for any huge capital costs.

The straight up $200 permit price works well and seems reasonable fair for most people. But if change is necessary, I feel the above would be much preferable to increasing the price of the permit significantly.

$400.00 per year for a trail system as vast as ours is not that expensive.

I am really only interested in riding locally. I've done some travelling around the province, but there are no trails like home. If an increase like that is necessary/beneficial maybe a regional permit can remain $200 and a province wide permit can sell for $400? I know it would screw over our fine folks in the far north, but if I'm never going to ride there, why should I be subsidizing you riding there?

I am really only interested in riding locally. I've done some travelling around the province, but there are no trails like home. If an increase like that is necessary/beneficial maybe a regional permit can remain $200 and a province wide permit can sell for $400? I know it would screw over our fine folks in the far north, but if I'm never going to ride there, why should I be subsidizing you riding there?

I think you would be in the minority and I also believe that the increased cost would benefit your area as well. You would actually be subsidizing the sport and snowmobile recreational economy as a whole.

More revenue more dollars spent at dealers, and repair shops would increase your overall economic picture.

Their could also be an employee sharing program. If we didnt have any snow down south some workers eager to earn cash could go north and help the other regions? Win/win.

So you are attending the OC Ride for Kelly!! Great! See you there! :D

More revenue more dollars spent at dealers, and repair shops would increase your overall economic picture.

What am I missing? How does giving the clubs more money improve the snowmobile dealers' revenue? If I have $X to spend on snowmobile and related accessories, under your proposal I would have $200 less to give to my dealer each year. Seems to me that it would do more harm to their business, if anything.

What am I missing? How does giving the clubs more money improve the snowmobile dealers' revenue? If I have $X to spend on snowmobile and related accessories, under your proposal I would have $200 less to give to my dealer each year. Seems to me that it would do more harm to their business, if anything.

The ofsc would have a lot more paid employees that spend a lot more money in our economy thus increasing our revenue base.

Dooer,

One year we didn't get much snow. I don't think I left from my house once. But I go to where the snow is. That's definitely not my preference but if you wanna ride, you do what you can.

Exactly....

And if there is currently a thread in here about the "classic" permit price, I would mind putting my opinion in there as well. :angry:

Exactly....

And if there is currently a thread in here about the "classic" permit price, I would mind putting my opinion in there as well. :angry:

If you have an opinion then start a thread about it. In spirit, I think it was a good idea.....

Archived