Bracebridge-Looks like all Hell may happen again!

Cudney Racing

Front page story in the Huntsville Forester today.

" Forest health program is moving ahead without the Muskoka Landowners Association"

The story which isn't on line yet eludes to the fact that the District of Muskoka, in their wisdom again, has decided to move forward with the program with out the landowners because as they say "We don't think we had a willing partner in the Muskoka Landowners Association" and "We think it is a great opportunity to move forward in a positive way. We can actually do something. It gets us out of the consatnt negotiating" The final decision whether to do this wil be made on Oct 5/09.

Remember what happened the last time that the council did this, the landowners closed the trails, I would think if the District does this again we may be in for another trail closure. Maybe it is time for a boycott of the District of Muskoka- Bill

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the land owners won't agree to the terms, so lets do it anyways??? :wtf:

That's great negotiating. Maybe Toronto's Mayor David Miller should come negotiate. Just give everyone want they want and the garbage will disappear.

Front page story in the Huntsville Forester today.

" Forest health program is moving ahead without the Muskoka Landowners Association"

The story which isn't on line yet eludes to the fact that the District of Muskoka, in their wisdom again, has decided to move forward with the program with out the landowners because as they say "We don't think we had a willing partner in the Muskoka Landowners Association" and "We think it is a great opportunity to move forward in a positive way. We can actually do something. It gets us out of the consatnt negotiating" The final decision whether to do this wil be made on Oct 5/09.

Remember what happened the last time that the council did this, the landowners closed the trails, I would think if the District does this again we may be in for another trail closure. Maybe it is time for a boycott of the District of Muskoka- Bill

Heard similar from a fellow out our way on Monday afternoon. A prime mover behind this is, as I'm told, Don Coates the mayor of Bracebridge. With plenty of support from Susan Pryke and some support from Gord Adams. When the trails close this winter, it will be the business owners that suffer the most. And, subsequently, the towns in which those businesses suffer. Short sighted SOB's on District Council - killing their own economy.

Statement by the Chairman of the Muskoka EDC.........

More important issues than forest health program

September 23, 2009

Once again, the district’s forest health program is in the news. While this issue tends to attract a lot of attention, there are certainly more important initiatives being generated by the District of Muskoka.

The proposed economic strategy, for one. By comparison, the forest health program — while important — is nothing to write home about.

In the long-term interests of Muskoka’s economy, the planning and economic development committee has tabled a wide-ranging strategic document that outlines dozens of key opportunities for sustainable development. The document highlights green industries, the information, communications and technology sector, tourism, retiring cottagers, and the importance of post-secondary education.

To implement the strategy, Muskoka will require dedicated economic development staff. This has budget implications and merits serious debate at district council.

Next to this, frankly, Muskoka’s forest health program is a no-brainer. First, the committee proposes Muskoka distribute best-practices brochures and booklets. The district is also proposing to offer, on a purely voluntary basis, free consultations with a qualified forestry technician to property owners who are engaging in commercial forestry. No charge. No obligations. Simply a discussion of forest management options at the property owner’s request. Important, but not exactly earth-shattering.

Let’s not make a mountain out of a molehill.

District councillors are facing many important decisions. It has been my experience that they will balance all suggestions and concerns raised by all individuals and associations in the best interests of Muskoka.

Scott Young

Chairman

Muskoka Planning and Economic Development Committee

The part that I don't understand is that the BIA and it's associated members, especially the ones who were most effected by the trail closure last year were on TV absolutely complaining about the loss of income the weekend that the trails were closed, I may be wrong here, but I would think if I were a BIA member in Bracebridge and was going to be effected by this decision I would be screaming at town counsel until they gave in, after all they are the tax payers with the most to lose, so if they don't take action against their town councel on this matter then they don't have anyone to blame but themselves. - Bill

The part that I don't understand is that the BIA and it's associated members, especially the ones who were most effected by the trail closure last year were on TV absolutely complaining about the loss of income the weekend that the trails were closed, I may be wrong here, but I would think if I were a BIA member in Bracebridge and was going to be effected by this decision I would be screaming at town counsel until they gave in, after all they are the tax payers with the most to lose, so if they don't take action against their town councel on this matter then they don't have anyone to blame but themselves. - Bill

Agreed - they should be a Huge voice in opposition to anything that negatively affects their business. In addition, I would expect a strong voice of opposition from the Chambers of Commerce for each of the towns.

Bracebridge is the hardest hit but there is significant collateral damage to Gravenhurst, Bala, Port Carling etc - people just aren't going to plan on visiting, buying gas, hotel rooms and so on if they can't ride. "Slightly" less hit is Huntsville which isn't particularly sled-friendly in the first place BUT, interestingly enough, the Mayor of Huntsville - Claude Doughty - is opposed to any form of tree cutting bylaw.

Maybe it is time for a boycott of the District of Muskoka- Bill

Hi Bill.... I spoke to a few resort owners in the area last winter and this issue is putting them out of business (last year).. If it continues this year, I hate to imagine what kind of economical impact it would have on snowmobile related businesses.....

Maybe time for a Petition? I can set one up quickly..... Thanks for the info Bill...

If someone were to put aside a little time and go through the 2009 OFSC Trail Funding Report (I'm sure a few club guys on here have copies or access to their clubs copies). And they were to add up all the permit sales for clubs in the area effected, and multiply that number by $4000.000 (the average Ontario snowmobilers sledding expense total for last season, as per the OFSC and Tourism Ontario's sledding by the numbers

:woot::woot:

If someone were to put aside a little time and go through the 2009 OFSC Trail Funding Report (I'm sure a few club guys on here have copies or access to their clubs copies). And they were to add up all the permit sales for clubs in the area effected, and multiply that number by $4000.000 (the average Ontario snowmobilers sledding expense total for last season, as per the OFSC and Tourism Ontario's sledding by the numbers

And, I'd argue that the number is more than $4,000 x permit sales. D trail through Bracebridge is a trail with the heaviest traffic any weekend. It's not only a destination, it's a major link in a lot of Touring rides so a large percentage of those riders buy their permits elsewhere. Yukon would know the number of permits sold by the MSR. Add to that the permits sold by Snowcrest and Hill and Gully and there is your District 7 number.

I cannot understand why the members of Muskoka District Council want to kill their own business owners. For that reason I think it is extremely important that we publicly identify the members of that Council who are in support of Killing Muskoka's Winter Economy.

They need to be named so we can spot their name on the 2010 Municipal Election Ballot.

Don Coates - Mayor of Bracebridge - SUPPORTER

Susan Pryke - Mayor of Township Muskoka Lakes and Acting Chair- SUPPORTER

Gord Adams - Muskoka District Chair - SUPPORTER

Members, Muskoka District Council

Chairman, Gord Adams

On Council representing the Town of Bracebridge

Don Coates

Steven Clement

Graydon Smith

Scott Young

On Council representing the Township of Georgian Bay

Jim Walden

Larry Braid

Greg Sutcliffe

On Council representing the Town of Gravenhurst

John Klinck

Mark Clairmont

Bob Colhoun

Terry Pilger

On Council representing the Town of Huntsville

Claude Doughty

Fran Coleman

Brian Thompson

George Young

On Council representing the Township of Lake of Bays

Janet Peake

Ben Boivin

Margaret Casey

On Council representing the Township of Muskoka Lakes

Susan Pryke

Mary Grady

Stewart Martin

Nancy Thompson

Find out where your representative stands on this issue. Find out if your representative supports the notion that ""We don't think we had a willing partner in the Muskoka Landowners Association" and "We think it is a great opportunity to move forward in a positive way. We can actually do something. It gets us out of the constant negotiating".

And find out Who you will be casting your vote for in 2010 !

PS .... and if their feeling randy .... add in that they will never see that revenue replaced by the "Tree Hugging Volvo Driving Birkenstock Wearing Zima Sipping Tree Humping Crowd"

Not true!!!!! STG is a Tree Hugging Volvo Driving Birkenstock Wearing Zima Sipping Tree Humping Crowd snowmobiler.....

PS .... and if their feeling randy .... add in that they will never see that revenue replaced by the "Tree Hugging Volvo Driving Birkenstock Wearing Zima Sipping Tree Humping Crowd"

Not true!!!!! STG is a Tree Hugging Volvo Driving Birkenstock Wearing Zima Sipping Tree Humping Crowd snowmobiler.....

I'm confused :confused: Don't all women have a Volvo ? :confused::?:confused:

And, I'd argue that the number is more than $4,000 x permit sales. D trail through Bracebridge is a trail with the heaviest traffic any weekend. It's not only a destination, it's a major link in a lot of Touring rides so a large percentage of those riders buy their permits elsewhere. Yukon would know the number of permits sold by the MSR. Add to that the permits sold by Snowcrest and Hill and Gully and there is your District 7 number.

I cannot understand why the members of Muskoka District Council want to kill their own business owners. For that reason I think it is extremely important that we publicly identify the members of that Council who are in support of Killing Muskoka's Winter Economy.

District 7 Permit Sold -8060 includes Snowcrest and Hill and Gully .

Hell, Even I drive a Volvo :twisted:

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1564.jpg

93GT01.jpg

94SR32.jpg

94SR33.jpg

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Someone should teach STG that riding a bike without a helmet is dangerous ...

And, I'd argue that the number is more than $4,000 x permit sales. D trail through Bracebridge is a trail with the heaviest traffic any weekend. It's not only a destination, it's a major link in a lot of Touring rides so a large percentage of those riders buy their permits elsewhere.

I think it's about as close your going to get at getting accurate numbers, some who buy from that areas also ride else where time to time, as do others come into the area from else where from time to time.

You've got a nice Volvo too :lol: Do you wear Birkenstocks when you're at the wheel ?

:umno:

And, I'd argue that the number is more than $4,000 x permit sales. D trail through Bracebridge is a trail with the heaviest traffic any weekend. It's not only a destination, it's a major link in a lot of Touring rides so a large percentage of those riders buy their permits elsewhere.

I think it's about as close your going to get at getting accurate numbers, some who buy from that areas also ride else where time to time, as do others come into the area from else where from time to time.

Good Point. Some go elsewhere sometimes but not nearly as the many that enter. Still, and to your point, using permit sales (thanks Yukon) is about as close as it's going to get.

So, I want to know the names of all council members who are supporting this and I want to make them public to every business owner in Muskoka.

Folks, post names in this thread !!

You've got a nice Volvo too :lol: Do you wear Birkenstocks when you're at the wheel ?

At least tell us your Vulva Wagon looks like this ...

[attachment=0]004.jpg[/attachment]

Is that after 6 weeks and several thousand dollars at Custom John's ?? :P

Don Coates

Steven Clement

Graydon Smith

Scott Young

Jim Walden

Larry Braid

Greg Sutcliffe

John Klinck

Mark Clairmont

Bob Colhoun

Terry Pilger

Claude Doughty

Fran Coleman

Brian Thompson

George Young

Janet Peake

Ben Boivin

Margaret Casey

Susan Pryke

Mary Grady

Stewart Martin

Nancy Thompson

Find out where your representative stands on this issue. Find out if your representative supports the notion that ""We don't think we had a willing partner in the Muskoka Landowners Association" and "We think it is a great opportunity to move forward in a positive way. We can actually do something. It gets us out of the constant negotiating".

Thanks STG. I imagine there will be letters to editor, etc. on this issue (again).

Don Coates

Steven Clement

Graydon Smith

Scott Young

Jim Walden

Larry Braid

Greg Sutcliffe

John Klinck

Mark Clairmont

Bob Colhoun

Terry Pilger

Claude Doughty

Fran Coleman

Brian Thompson

George Young

Janet Peake

Ben Boivin

Margaret Casey

Susan Pryke

Mary Grady

Stewart Martin

Nancy Thompson

Thanks STG. I imagine there will be letters to editor, etc. on this issue (again).

I hope so, Canuck. And I hope we can identify, publicly, on this board, those council members who are supporters. It's important that as many people as possible become aware of those council members who are supportive so it is open and we all know. Every business owner in Muskoka should know the names of the Council Members who are trying to bury their business. I want to send a message to every business owner in Muskoka the name of the Council Member who is trying to Kill their Business.

Municipal Elections are only one year from now !!!!!!!

No way, 6 weeks you get the full bling ...

:rotflmao:

BlingCJ_Volvo.gif

No way, 6 weeks you get the full bling ...

:rotflmao:

BlingCJ_Volvo.gif

GRATE CAR !! ITS GOING TO BE INTHE BOOTH AT THE BEST SLED SHOW INT HE WORLD !!!!! POOP DOWN TO THE BOOTH AND SEE IT. WEEL AL BE THER AND YOU CAN SEE IT. THSI SHOW ROCKS !!!! IVE GOT PICTHURES TO PROOF IT TOO !!!

BRING YUR SLED, OR YOR CAR BY THE SHOOP ICAN MAKE IT AMZIING !!!!!!!!!!

Archived