IMPORTANT NEWS FOR SNOWMOBILERS IN ONTARIO

Lazalong

I did a quick check first and did not see this posted elsewhere on this site. If this is a repeat I apologize and request the moderator remove same.

Thanks Ed

NEWS RELEASE APRIL 9, 2009

OFSC Debuts New Snowmobilers’ Clubhouse at the

Toronto International Snowmobile, ATV and Powersports Show

OFSC Sets New Direction for Go Snowmobiling

(Barrie, ON. April 9, 2009): As the Go Snowmobiling Campaign wraps up its second winter,

the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs is pleased to report strong results, with

increased permit sales, positive sled sales, encouraging feedback from the tourism

sector, and many first time snowmobilers on the trails. Consequently, plans are already

underway for Go Snowmobiling 2009/10, including a new direction for showcasing this

important lifestyle campaign.

The new approach takes into account the impact of the economic downturn on our

industry and is based on careful analysis of better ways for the OFSC to work with its

many partners through these tough times. This past season, the OFSC tested a small

Go Snowmobiling presence at non-traditional shows, including the Fall Cottage Life

Show and the Toronto Motorcycle Show. Shows like these put Go Snowmobiling front

and centre with thousands of qualified, potential snowmobilers who are already

committed outdoors and powersports enthusiasts. With all of these factors in mind, the

OFSC has decided to focus on expanding other showcase opportunities as part of the

2009/10 Go Snowmobiling Campaign and will not be hosting its own stand alone show

this fall.

“Our primary Go Snowmobiling goal from the outset was and continues to be to

introduce as many new people as possible to this great family recreation activity,” said

OFSC Executive Director Paul Shaughnessy. “As responsible leaders, we believe it will

be more productive and cost effective for both organized snowmobiling and our industry

to take Go Snowmobiling to other shows where our target audience already exists in

large numbers.”

The OFSC wishes to thank Arctic Cat, Polaris, Ski-Doo (BRP), Yamaha, Canadian

National Sportsmen’s Shows (CNSS), OTMPC, OFSC districts, and all other exhibitors

for their support of the OFSC Go Snowmobiling Show. As OFSC President Bruce

Robinson commented: “In partnership with CNSS, we produced a very professional,

classy event that highlighted everything the OFSC has to offer and we are very proud

that our show served our Go Snowmobiling goals for two years. Now, with the continuing

support of our districts, the four OEM’s, and many other industry stakeholders, it’s time

for our Go Snowmobiling Campaign to take this new direction.”

The OFSC Go Snowmobiling Campaign is targeted to increase participation in

recreational snowmobiling and help grow the industry by promoting the snowmobiling

lifestyle. The Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs is dedicated to providing strong

leadership and support to member clubs and volunteers, to establishing and maintaining

quality snowmobile trails which are used in a safe and environmentally responsible

manner, and to furthering the enjoyment of organized snowmobiling.

NEWS RELEASE APRIL 20, 2009 FROM THE OFSC AND GO SNOWMOBILING SHOW

(Barrie, ON. April 20, 2009): The snowmobiling industry has the opportunity to gather under one roof this autumn, thanks to a milestone decision made by the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs (OFSC) this past weekend. The OFSC Board of Governors approved a multi-year proposal successfully negotiated by the OFSC with the Toronto International Snowmobile, ATV and Powersports Show to host a special “Snowmobilers’ Clubhouse” at its annual event, taking place this fall from October 16 to 18. The OFSC will bring a strong corporate presence to this Snowmobilers’ Clubhouse, with displays immediately inside the show’s main entrance. Here, the OFSC will highlight its various programs, including permit sales, partnerships, volunteers, safety and environment. Classrooms for OFSC Driver Training courses will also be located at the show.

Thanks - I heard rumours of a show within a show, and love the 'clubhouse' concept.

Lets hope they maintain 'trailmap alley'. It was the highlight of the show.

I don't get the 'shwinnnnnnggg' that STG appears to obtain from maps, but close. :oops:

I don't get the 'shwinnnnnnggg' that STG appears to obtain from maps, but close. :oops:

I have a map to your place - be carefull ! :P :P

He's bluffing!

He's bluffing!

Whew.

We were ready to move, and join the witness protection program.

(not that I've witnessed any of STG's shenanigans :roll: )

I like it when people apologise to moderators! :D Already been posted!

I proposed, started and ran the ACSCC website on my own for a year or two before better minds volunteered to take it on. This alone made me very aware the moderators are under-appreciated on most sites.

before better minds volunteered to take it on......

Can't get any better than this bunch.

Thanks Lazalong.

Canuck we are almost neighbors. Born and bred Key River (Harbour)Ontario, south shore - Henvey Inlet Reserve.

Heading there this weekend for a feed of fresh caught GB pickerel. With my luck the wife will do the catching and I will doo the cleaning and cooking.

In regard to the news proclaiming one show. I hope all those die-hards who supported the Go Snowmobiling Show and vowed never to darken the doorways of the International Show give this merger a chance.

Canuck we are almost neighbors. Born and bred Key River (Harbour)Ontario, south shore - Henvey Inlet Reserve.

Heading there this weekend for a feed of fresh caught GB pickerel. With my luck the wife will do the catching and I will doo the cleaning and cooking.

In regard to the news proclaiming one show. I hope all those die-hards who supported the Go Snowmobiling Show and vowed never to darken the doorways of the International Show give this merger a chance.

No probs doing that, everyone just wanted cheapest option and best amount of exposure to sledders, now with Sportsmans Shows wanting the OFSC to put money on the line for the 3rd year option, and PS Shows giving out free 10x10 booths to the districts we are where we are, the cheapest option.

Unfortunatly I think we may have a cost issue with maps for all 17 districts, seeing that the number claimed for PS attendance was 50,000 and we know that it isn't 100% sledders going to the PS Show, as it's marketed to both sports. How do we feel about using permit money to subsidize maps being given to quadders (since ad space only covers roughly 50% of the map cost) .. we know a lot are going to grab them while their there. We could be talking about $100,000 to $200,000 worth of maps here ?

We still don't have a map print figure over and above what we usually print, it'll really suck to run out of maps for sledders on Saturday or Sunday. Anyone have a number that their district is bringing to the show ?

Excellent point, Nutter.

I never considered that maps would be scooped by the dirt devils.

Excellent point, Nutter.

I consider it a pretty big shoe when you figure 17 different districts all having the cost of printing their own map. The ATV organizations in Ontario sell permits to less then 5% of the ATV'ing public (me being one of them), makes you wonder where do the other 95% ride ?? My thoughts are if all they have to do is walk into a another building to have access to all the district maps from across the province, why wouldn't they just grab them reguardless.

A lot of people had issues with the Go Show for whatever reasons, but fact was that the people who paid to go that show came with the interest of sledding only, and all resources and volunteer efforts were there for them only. How many more of those people will we see at the PS Show over a sled only focused show 5% maybe 10% ? And how many will we lose that have no interest in going to show that caters to both ?

Excellent point, Nutter.

Make people show a paid permit to get a map.

...the dirt devils.

"Dirt devils"???... :lol:

Guess that's better than "quadding queers" :D

Excellent point, Nutter.

Great idea in theory, Dom...but I suspect only a small percentage of sledders actually have their trail permit at the time of the fall show(s), or buy them there. How about requiring proof of a sled registration instead?

not sure how to solve this issue but we do not not want the atv's on trails that they should not be on . This show is an excellent opportunity to educate them thatthee trails are sleds only and how many great miles that they are missing out on by not being a sledder .One of the biggest reasons for them not buying passes is the multiple pass systems and no provincial leadership. This leaves us to protect our landowners not a good situation.

Excellent point, Nutter.

Great idea in theory, Dom...but I suspect only a small percentage of sledders actually have their trail permit at the time of the fall show(s), or buy them there. How about requiring proof of a sled registration instead?

I'm ok with any proof. Registration, last years permit, a wallet size picture of a pink bunny..... 8-)

Excellent point, Nutter.

I'm ok with any proof. Registration, last years permit, a wallet size picture of a pink bunny..... 8-)

Any of those proofs would be ok.

Except I wouldn't show my wallet picture of Buns. It's "X" rated. ;)

Archived