Cochrane Trip report from March 21st to 23rd

jedanr

The bride and I trailered up from Toronto to Lillabelle Resort. Did a short loop on Saturday on the local trails which were in still in good condition. Temperature dropped to -25 overnight so we waited until about 10:00 Saturday morning before heading out.

Headed out to Smooth Rock on Sunday and the trails were good lots of snow , not the usual Cochrane smooth however . Once you got to the Arctic Riders trails things were much better all the way to Smooth Rock. Filled up and headed up the A103 to the canyon. Perfectly sunny day and you could see for miles. Didn't see any other sleds along the way.

Filled up with some $ 1.85 litre gas and a bowl of chicken soup and proceeded down the other half of the trail back to Cochrane. Was a little concerned at first as other sledders had told us that condtions were rough. They must have been riding a different trail because other than a few bumps here and there the ride was great.

After crossing the ice bridge there was some logging going on however the trail was still snow covered and there were really no bare spots. . Made it back to the lodge at about 5:30, no breakdowns , although the 700 XC was running on fumes. Note to self buy an ETEC next year.

On speaking to the other lads at the lodge they reported good riding on the A105Q. and on a loop down to Timmins along A106C to C to A111C to Iroquois Falls and the A back to Cochrane.

Special thanks to or hosts Rod and Kim who really understand the terms hospitality and service. They really go out of their way to make their customers happy.

jedanr and katie :woot::wavey:

Great report, Thanks. Hope to be heading up there Thursday night for one last ride of the year.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip ! That run from SRF to the canyon is, in the parlance of sledspeak, 'some quick'. You're right about Lillabelle, too. Great place to stay with great people hosting !

If you don't want to jump all the way to an Etec, I could probably get you a smokin' deal on an SDI Couch ;)

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip ! That run from SRF to the canyon is, in the parlance of sledspeak, 'some quick'. You're right about Lillabelle, too. Great place to stay with great people hosting !

If you don't want to jump all the way to an Etec, I could probably get you a smokin' deal on an SDI Couch ;)

Do I detect a new sled coming for STG? What are you considering?...enquiring minds need to know :P

It will probably have a two up seat! 8-)

The current couch currently has a Three-Up ! I usually ride with the middle (or 3rd) seat removed in order to accomodate the Beefeater.

But sometimes she stays home.

The current couch currently has a Three-Up ! I usually ride with the middle (or 3rd) seat removed in order to accomodate the Beefeater.

You better run if she reads that one! :D

:shock: I hope she doesn't tell my wife :shock:

Isnt that why you had the "three-up" seat? :P

Isnt that why you had the "three-up" seat? :P

Not really. Originally that was for Neal and Bob 8-)

...enquiring minds need to know :P

I trust all readers will note...

Yes, both of us noticed that... :poke:

< :P >

oh WOW there is a Special Care person that reads this stuff to you ? !

< :poke: >

:umno: The remedial therapy has gotten me past that...

:crazy:

I momentarily forgot that subtlety sometimes eludes you...the point that you apparently missed is that your "readership" has...(uhhh)..."diminished somewhat"... :poke: :P

< :P >

< :poke: >

:umno: The remedial therapy has gotten me past that...

<do you always make fun of those with disabilities, or is today an exception???> :crazy:

I momentarily forgot that subtlety sometimes eludes you...the point that you apparently missed is that your "readership" has...(uhhh)..."diminished somewhat"... :poke: :P

There is a difference between missing something and chosing to ignore it. Vaudeville was more subtle. :P :poke: :P

Hate to re-hijack this back to the original thread, but...................

Pleasure to meet you and the bride, jedanr. Me and my posse (4 guys) sat beside you in the dining room. Glad to hear you had a great trip and made it home O.K. We had a blast, and the hospitality was first rate. Although the trails were not as good (soft winter conditions)as last March 30th when my bride and I were up there, they were very good spring conditions with a hard base and granular snow/ice crystals. The only real issue we had was lack of slider lube first thing in the morning, after those -20 nights. Still, we had no problems putting in 300+ kms riding days with plenty of time left for wobbly pops before dinner.

The posse was blown away at the great value at Lillibelle, and were still mumbling incoherently about it all the way home. All in all, a great way to end the season, and probably destined to become an annual event.

Archived