Kukagami – Sportsman’s Lodge

SlowTouringGuy

February 2009

Sportsman’s is located right on Lake Kukagami and right on two trails. C105 and C206D. It is a great structure – just what you would expect a big old lodge in the wilderness to be. All wood, lots of log, heavy furniture etc. Our cabin had character. Yes, perhaps a bit rustic, but with character. It was a four bedroom affair including an upstairs loft. Unusually, it had two bathrooms (bonus for moving 7 guys out in the mornings). It also had an airtight woodstove with lots of wood supplied and space heaters in a couple of rooms. A table for our card games, a fridge for bevies and a satellite tv rounded things out.

Despite our interest in the surrounding trails and our cabin, we really didn’t enjoy staying at a place where we didn’t feel welcome. Sportsman’s is certainly not too shy about charging top dollar to stay there; it’s unfortunate that they leave you with the feeling you are intruding and a nuisance.

On this trip, we stayed at other lodges. They were warm and welcoming. At Three Bears, at Lillabelle, at Quick’s we were asked when we wanted to eat. At Sportsmans we were told. Dinner is at 6:30 we were told in cold terms. We had just towed a sled 32 miles and the sun was going down. We hadn’t unpacked, settled or taken care of sorting things out with the broken sled and parking the others. When hearing the supper news, one of our crew went in to the main lodge and explained our situation asking if we could eat a little later after getting settled. The answer? Dinner will be on your plates at 6:30, we’ll try to keep it warm. (!) :shock: . The attitude also, unfortunately, carried over to the server who really didn’t seem to want to be there. Similarly, breakfast is on the plate at 8:30, no wiggle room. Maybe ok for some, but we like to through breakfast, through the bathrooms, finished the morning ablutions and loading up the sleds by that time. Food was good for both supper and breakfast but the lack of personal interest sure puts a downer on the visit.

At the other lodges we were asked about our day’s events, the trails, where we were going, where we were coming from etc etc. No interest at Sportsmans. No social graces. It is a shame.

Heck, selling us a bunch of beer and pop to take back to the cabin seemed to be a hardship. Signage in the cabin and the lodge telling customers how to behave was a surprise. As was the fact they were the only establishment that required a non-refundable deposit on booking.

The place rates high for surrounding trails and positioning to other destinations. It rates well for accommodations, too. And good for food. Without ambience and warmth from the people all the high marks are significantly diminished.

Whilst I try never to say “never”, it will have to be under some pretty unique or unusual circumstances that I return for an overnight at the Sportsman’s.

Sportsman’s Lodge

On C105 and on C206D

2 Cabins, 30+ rooms.

Restaurant LLBO licensed.

Hot Tub

Gas on Site

We paid $115.00 per person including the meals

877-708-8882

That's a real shame to hear, I really like that place but haven't returned since the new owners took over due to low snow conditions the past couple of years, the previous owner couldn't do enough for you. Thanks for the warning, somebody else said it's kind of expensive now.

STG. We witnessed a nasty there last year, waitress and then Mom unloaded on some poor guy for ordering fries or onion rings, can't remember which. "If you want that junk then go to Rocky's" They then proceeded to call him down indicating it was persons like him that drove off without paying for their gas. They were doing passing sledders a "favour" by serving them...

I walked out prior to ordering.

Pine Falls a few miles down the trail is a nice spot.

That is a shame. We have been there for lunch on our way to Shining Tree from North Bay. The folks seemed decent when we stopped for lunch, one of the daughters was very nice to us. $115 is a bit steep. We did just spend about $160 per at 3 Bears, that did include our gas and beverages.

What a shame. I use to love going there when Terry owned it. He would go out of his way to look after you. I haven't been back, since he sold it. How much was fuel there this year out of curioisty?

$1.25 a litre couple of weeks ago

• 3 weeks later...

Both places mentioned here I found out were for sale. Pine falls and Sportsmans. We stopped at Sportsmans for gas and thought lunch as we usually do when in area, but they stopped serving lunch during the week the first of March. I remember back a few years when that place even during the week would have lot's of people there but it has been pretty empty since. I also remember Terrry and he'd post on here, or the the old site, the trail conditions too. Maybe new owners( if it sells) will improve Sportsmans again.

• 3 months later...

I have read many reviews about sportsmans over the last few years and these newer owners and they all say the same......I'm from north bay and ride out that way plenty each season and we never ever stop there. We make sure we don't have to. We stop at pine falls lodge or rocky's. We don't see very many sleds in the lot these days.

Archived