Breaking NEWS - F Trail Closure - Chapleau to Dubreuilville

Big Reg

I'm just got call from our Governor of district 13 that District 14 and Chapleau club will be closing the F trail for ever between Chapleau and Dubreuilville next season (2009-2010)

This is not right there is ways to keep it open

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geezus Awful ! That's terrible rotten news. But I've heard that Chapleau club has been complaining for years that it's "too difficult" to keep that section open.

I think that's a poor excuse for not wanting to do it. There's a big difference between "can't" and "don't want to".

What alternatives do you think there are Reg, to keeping it open ?

No Rick, lol We Did not Give a Groomer, The thing Is, I Was Club President at that time and when we had to groom the last 32 km of that trail we needed to do 100km of trail fro nothing to be able to reach that section of trail to groom it. Or we had to Float the Groomer in Every time at a Cost of $1000 Each time.

The Chapleau Club Wanted a New Groomer and Was going to End up with 3 groomers, OFSC was to Give Money for it but before OFSC was going to give money for it te Chapleau Club Had to Prove that they Had trails/hours for the 3rd groomer.... So We Said it Would be Better for us If Chapleau took that Section of trail. We where asked if it was ok that If Chapleau took that trail and an other Section of the F- trail South of them that they Could Have a Groomer and that they Would Keep Open the F trail.

Well Now Thing HAs Changed and they Dont Want to Do it Anymore.

As someone said, my butt's not in the groomer, so I really shouldn't say much.

However, if it's a 'link' in the system, and the link breaks, the whole system is weaker.

Please keep us posted. If you thing additional ridership will sway folks, let's doo it.

I sure hope Chapleau will rethink this! We do that loop more than once a year. Leave Searchmont head to either WaWa around or vice versa to Chapleau. With that part gone there really isn't any need to spend MONEY at Chapleau or buy my trail permit from them. My group usually will do permits from Chapleau one year the next from WaWa.just to try to help.I know it won't break the town but what is the reason to go to Chapleau if the loop isn't open? It is a nice weekend loop.

Skidooing

Has anyone contacted OFSC? If it's going to be on the map, it needs to be maintained. I called last year about A107A, that's what I was told. OFSC was very helpful and those that were making similar excuses were upset, that can't matter. I think that each and every trail is important, everytime we allow one to close, we lose a bit of the future of our sport.

:( What is the best thing we can do to stop this. Who can we call email or what. If we can't stop this it will be the beginning of the end. Will miss Erenie at dog lake. Our one week big loop has been going on for ten years now. I hope the club isn't really going through with this. :banghead:

i think it is time to tell chapleau what we sledders think of them ruining a loop that has been long part of the heritage of the ofsc and a corner stone of northern ontario trails.

you dont want to open or maintain it. WE WILL STOP COMMING TO YOUR COMMUNITY ALTOGETHER.

we all go to many sledding websites on the world wide web. wont take long for this bad news to travel fast. say the word and WE WILL PUT THIS INTO MOTION.

very nearsighted people have forced this issue, and now the ofsc district govenors are backing this???? time to let our voices and pocketbooks be heard.

the only thing i do want to point out is the distances chapleau grooms one way now. town to missanabi is 90 miles one way. town to aubrey falls is approx 110 one way. i am not sure if they groom to folyette or a groomer there meets them half way.

might be time to take an older unit or district unit and leave it at ernies, and have them groom half way to chapleau, and chapleau comes half way to ernies.

i dont buy the grooming from halfway haven to chapleau at this time either. too few people benefit from it, where too many are hurt by the trail from missanabi to chapleau closing current loop options. not to mention it really messes the flow of the current loop trails.

also i want to point out to the ofsc and the district govenors associated with this. if you stop maintaining that trail, even for a one year trial... the manpower and cost to reopen an untrimmed section of that trail will be alot higher than anyone will want to budget for in the comming years. and to lay that on a group of volunteers, is not smart or thorough thinking by anyone associated with bringing commerce to the WHOLE REGION. if you dont believe me, ask the hornepayne and hearst clubs about the reroute of the A trail that went to bambinos, promising fuel, food and lodging, that folded only a few years after the trail was put through. now there is no way to open the old trail (a shorter and more scenic route), due to the cost associated with not maintaing that corridor for that time period.

PLEASE RETHINK THIS WE BEG OF YOU!!!

my .02 ski

I'm starting to received letter, Thank you, keep them coming, our meeting is Jan 20, so the more I received the best it is.

Ski can I print your statement from this forum and add your name to it?

also Ernie is going to write a letter and give it to me

Well the Chapleau Club President Is the Owner of the 3 Moulin Motel Hotel? lol Just send him a Message. lol

He will be sent many.. Do you have an email address for us....

Here the link to his page, you will find all the info there for e-mail, address and telephone #

Every year we do about the "Big Loop" where we start in North Bay or New Liskeard to Hearst and down to Dubreilville over to Timmins and back down to North Bay. This closure will cut off a major portion of our loop which I'm sure will affect others who do the "Big Loop" as well. Basically the closure of this trail will prevent anyone from coming South of Hearst on any loops. Looking at the map, that "F" trail is a MAJOR connector! Towns like Chapleau, D'Ville HornePayne and even Hearst and Wawa will all be affetced.

Is there any chance of this trail re-opening this season? What do you need us to do to support this?

Go ahead and print this out if it helps....

by all means reg, please copy and send it with you. i am going to go on all my websites and get guys to send you letters. ski

by all means reg, please copy and send it with you. i am going to go on all my websites and get guys to send you letters. ski

Hey Eric.. I am working on a Petition and will have all t he info soon, if ya could post it on the other sites too.. Remember when Kapuskasing tried to closed the trails into their town..

Here's the Kap Petition

Well the Chapleau Club President Is the Owner of the 3 Moulin Motel Hotel? lol Just send him a Message. lol

He will be sent many.. Do you have an email address for us....

Here the link to his page, you will find all the info there for e-mail, address and telephone #

as posted on hcs, totallyamaha.net, totallyamaha.com, dootalk and snowest. hope this helps. ski

guys over on http://www.ontarioconditions.com in the northern section (please take the time to register to help, even if you have never rode there). there is a thread stating the ofsc is closing the 90 mile section of trail from chapleau to missanabi. http://www.chapleau.ca/portal/en/market ... oismoulins

done rick! even updated it on this thread. hope this works. ski

Archived