Thank all volunteers today

Wildbill

I had hoped that we could send the good volunteers a huge message of gratitude .I guess all those who can't spare the time to say thanks could not give a dang if a trail is rough or closed and you really want to pay more for your permit. Without these volunteers working for free the trail permit would be outrageously expensive .

I would gladly pay double for my permit if that meant we have to pay employees for better trails!

Double would not do it likely triple would not be enough either for every paid hour anther 50 are free hours now. Likely if we had to pay the real cost of the labour it would kill the sport.

On the contrary, I think we have had it too cheap for too long. $180 a year? Thats a steal. A crappy ski-hill is $60.00 bucks a day!

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The point is that the system exists on hardworking volunteers .My family and I are grateful for their sacrifices .Thank you all

But maybe it shouldnt? :wtf:

Each kilometer of trail cost $1000.00 .We have 40,000 kilometers he have 80,000 members a huge price increase would likely get rid of around 25% of the members causing the permit to cost around $750.00 per year .

Thank you volunteers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The point is that the system exists on hardworking volunteers .My family and I are grateful for their sacrifices .Thank you all

But maybe it shouldnt? :wtf:

Each kilometer of trail cost $1000.00 .We have 40,000 kilometers he have 80,000 members a huge price increase would likely get rid of around 25% of the members causing the permit to cost around $750.00 per year .

Thank you volunteers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe If we got corporate sponsorships and govt grants we could bring that down a bit. I would pay $500.00 for sure!

It could work!

UTS... Couple of things.. I think the minute we start paying people ....problems.(insurance, liability, OFSC)..I do it because I enjoy it and I can. Honestly that's the bottom line. And you're right about the price..cheap!. Mossy made a good point that sort of got overlooked in the rah rah.. the landowners make all of this happen. and we give them a pr of gloves and a toque!!!!!!!!!!!! :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Each kilometer of trail cost $1000.00

I'm genuinely curious: How much does the OFSC spend on R&D each year to lower that number?

I'm expecting the answer to be zero, and that is okay. The OFSC probably shouldn't be spending much, if any, on that problem. However, a serious for-profit organization definitely would be looking at the problem under a microscope. My point is that the OFSC numbers don't mean a whole lot as part of this discussion. The numbers from Haliburton Forest might be more interesting.

But I do agree with your sentiment. If there was money to be made running a for-profit trail system, someone would have already stepped up and started a competing trail system.

A HUGE Thank you to all of our volunteers who work countless hours to maintain our trail system. Your efforts are so appreciated!

And just as importantly, THANK YOU to the landowners who kindly allow it to even happen at all.

UTS... Couple of things.. I think the minute we start paying people ....problems.(insurance, liability, OFSC)..I do it because I enjoy it and I can. Honestly that's the bottom line. And you're right about the price..cheap!. Mossy made a good point that sort of got overlooked in the rah rah.. the landowners make all of this happen. and we give them a pr of gloves and a toque!!!!!!!!!!!! :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Actually Face, it doesn't matter whether the people are volunteers or paid. Insurance and liability are still in effect. Look at last year when that poor Groomer died. They still charged everyone under the sun..........

Mossy made a good point that sort of got overlooked in the rah rah.. the landowners make all of this happen. and we give them a pr of gloves and a toque!!!!!!!!!!!! :wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf::wtf:

Darn good point Faceman. Without the landowners, the volunteers would have nothing to do !

Actually Face, it doesnt matter whether the people are volunteers or paid. Insurance and liability are still in effect. Look at last year when that poor Groomer died. They still charged everyone under the sun..........

Would it not strike you that the least you could do is say thanks ? :wtf:

Actually Face, it doesnt matter whether the people are volunteers or paid. Insurance and liability are still in effect. Look at last year when that poor Groomer died. They still charged everyone under the sun..........

The last time something Struck me was last night when "Mrs UTS used the larger paddle with leather studs on it!" I was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad bunny! I needed punishment! :P

Actually, I know a little about volunteerism. :roll:

I coach my sons rep hockey team. That takes about " Oh i dont know 4-5 hours per week on ice and three or so off ice.

I led a Motorcycle ride for " Prostate Cancer" took about 20 hours in total to do. Next year will be a little larger and more time I assume.

I volunteer as a Moderator on OC. Not much to do but takes a lot of time! :P

Mrs UTS is heavily involved in Breast Cancer charities. WHich I get involved in.

Never once in my life, have I EVER, asked or gotten a thank you. I dont need one.

Not to mention that you missed my whole point in this self aggrandizing thread, the point was, that the OFSC trail system is way too large and important to rest on the backs of volunteers. Its time to step up and grow into what it truely is. And this not a "grass roots" volunteer organization but a powerful and important economic and political entity that should be well funded and ran as it needs to be.

Yes the volunteers need to be recognised but not because someone says so and not because I should be bullied into it. But, because they spend countless hours doing what they love and usually for their family.

BTW-I had to pay for my OC hat!..............

Actually Face, it doesn't matter whether the people are volunteers or paid. Insurance and liability are still in effect. Look at last year when that poor Groomer died. They still charged everyone under the sun..........

I must say, as a volunteer I would love for people to show their appreciation by staying off the trails when they are closed, respecting the landowners, stay on the trails, slow down for volunteers working on the trails, and buy a permit!

I actually enjoy the posts of appreciation when they are spontaneous, they show integrity.

Sorry it's taken so long to reply - internet has been more down than up since the big power outage this weekend.....

:woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot::woot:

THANK YOU!!!

To all the volunteers! YOU make our trail system one of the BEST in the country! :woot:

One point that is forgotten in this is that the OFSC relies for the majority of it's trails - private landowners who give permission to this volunteer organization the use of thier land. I would guess many of them would not if it became a "business", there is still a local volunteer face thru the local clubs dealing with the landowners.

If we were to go UTS route we would likely just have the public access trails which we are increasingly having to share or see closed because other groups lobby local governments to close access to snowmobiles. Ever been around Lindsay?

I think we are seeing a gradual progression, the larger clubs do hire full time groomer personnel. The reality is it is an expansive system, maintained over rugged terrain in adverse conditions. I think this debate is not suited to this discussion and it takes away from the purpose of thanking the volunteers who maintain the trails we ride.

I have been around this sport long enough to see the vast improvements to trails from homemade drags behind an Alpine to the units we have today we have made great strides. It is still a realtivelly small number of permit holders paying for a vast trail system.

I dont think we would lose the landowners if we went a different route. It would probably help them and the struggle to keep the sledheads off the land when they should be.

The landowners are the key here.

The last time something Struck me was last night when "Mrs UTS used the larger paddle with leather studs on it!" I was a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad bunny! I needed punishment! :P

Actually, I know a little about volunteerism. :roll:

I coach my sons rep hockey team. That takes about " Oh i dont know 4-5 hours per week on ice and three or so off ice.

I led a Motorcycle ride for " Prostate Cancer" took about 20 hours in total to do. Next year will be a little larger and more time I assume.

I volunteer as a Moderator on OC. Not much to do but takes a lot of time! :P

Mrs UTS is heavily involved in Breast Cancer charities. WHich I get involved in.

Never once in my life, have I EVER, asked or gotten a thank you. I dont need one.

Not to mention that you missed my whole point in this self aggrandizing thread, the point was, that the OFSC trail system is way too large and important to rest on the backs of volunteers. Its time to step up and grow into what it truely is. And this not a "grass roots" volunteer organization but a powerful and important economic and political entity that should be well funded and ran as it needs to be.

Yes the volunteers need to be recognised but not because someone says so and not because I should be bullied into it. But, because they spend countless hours doing what they love and usually for their family.

BTW-I had to pay for my OC hat!..............

Well thank you for your efforts . The point of the post was to thank all the volenteers that put the trails in place .I thought that as a group OC could send a message to the volenteers of the OFSC to say thanks. Instead your message seems to be that thier efforts are not good enough. I suggest that you have the oppurtunity to get involved and make the changes that you suggest would make it better. We all are entitled to our opinions , the great thing about OC is that it does not flame up usually . My opinion and that of my family is that we should say thanks to those that help . As for paying for your own hat,did you know that most club volenteers pay thier own gas,phone,etc.

But don't forget to thank the volunteers and landowners!!!!!!!!!!! Whenever and wherever and however you can.

Okay Okay!.......................

Thank you to all Volunteers including but not limited to, landowners, trail patrol, sign installers, Domino, groomers, trail patrol, manufacturers, permit retailers, God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost, Rick, smileyface inventers, waitresses, Wood choppers, Trail brushers, Happy Birthday MXZZ500HO thread posters, bridge builders, beavers( the animals), the OFSC, Politicians and last but defineitely not least, Beer companies!

All of which snowmobiling in Ontario could not exist!............

Are we done patting our collective backs then?

Good!

Lets go snowmobiling!

But don't forget to thank the volunteers and landowners!!!!!!!!!!! Whenever and wherever and however you can.

Okay Okay!.......................

Thank you to all Volunteers including but not limited to, landowners, trail patrol, sign installers, Domino, groomers, trail patrol, manufacturers, permit retailers, God, Jesus and the Holy Ghost, Rick, smileyface inventers, waitresses, Wood choppers, Trail brushers, Happy Birthday MXZZ500HO thread posters, bridge builders, beavers( the animals), the OFSC, Politicians and last but defineitely not least, Beer companies!

All of which snowmobiling in Ontario could not exist!............

Are we done patting our collective backs then?

Good!

Lets go snowmobiling!

:D

I thank at least one landowner by giving them a sizable cheque each year. How are you holding up your end of the bargain? :P

Archived