Bridges

RAMSOMAIR

Does anyone know if there are any bridges on the Seguin that are due to be repaired or replaced this year? Usually the PSSD and the Park to Park wait until November before the work begins and it impacts the beginning of the snowmobile season. Hope this is not the case this year!

Does anyone know if there are any bridges on the Seguin that are due to be repaired or replaced this year? Usually the PSSD and the Park to Park wait until November before the work begins and it impacts the beginning of the snowmobile season. Hope this is not the case this year!

Thanks for volunteering to do better than anyone else has!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

Several bridges are underway on the Seguin trail !! Bridges 4 and 5 are complete except for some gradeing . Bridges 13 and 14 as well are complete . Bridges 11 and 12 are to be complete this week and Bridges 5 and 6 next week followed by bridges 8 and 9 the week following. Bridge 15 is and likely already has been redecked by volunteers. This completes the rebuilding and replacement of ALL the bridges on the Seguin Trail (bridge 10 was done 3 years ago bridge 2 new 10 years ago bridge 1 new 2 years ago and bridge 3 last year) As you may remember the bridges were closed by the MNR several years ago and had to be temporarily repaired (they really weren't that bad) to reopen the trail .

The planning for the current phase of construction has been underway for several years . An engineering survey and assessment of the bridges was commissioned in the summer of 2007 . From this funding was secured . Thank you to the OFSC for this as well as Park to Park and the PSSD and MSR. Once the funding was announced the tender process could begin . As the engineering for the construction of the new bridges was to be supplied by the contractor the work permit process could not fully be completed until after the contractor was chosen. Work began on the bridges in September 2008 . This only results because of untold volenteer hours on behalf of several people of whom I am one. The tone of your post I take offense to and expect an apology .

Wildbill

A huge thanks to you and all the other volunteers in this province. Without these people we wouldn't have the great times that we do.

I have travelled the Sequin once a couple years ago and hope to again someday.

Please extend thanks to the other volunteers for all their hard work.

Neil :wavey::wavey:

Wildbill

A huge thanks to you and all the other volunteers in this province. Without these people we wouldn't have the great times that we do.

I have travelled the Sequin once a couple years ago and hope to again someday.

Please extend thanks to the other volunteers for all their hard work.

Neil :wavey::wavey:

You sir are more than welcome we do it because we love the trails.

Bill,

Thanks, as well, from a sledder who uses the Seguin often while enjoying all that Parry Sound has to offer.

Countless volunteer hours have gone into 'the bridges'. Thanks to all.

thanks Bill,

I have a cottage up in Magnetawan, ride up throught the parry sound district a lot. Took my then 5 year old up from Gravenhurst to the cottage stayed the night and came back the next day. My little guy loved the rail bed(Seguin), however his thoughts were where is the train, why does it not run here anymore, typical 5 year old question. Thanks to all the volunteers, and the trails around P. Sound are why I buy my permit from the distrcit, thanks again.

4MY

Thanks to Wildbill and the hundreds of volunteers across the province. If it wasn't for all their hard work and dedication to this sport the rest of us would be out of luck. As a past club president I know first hand how difficult it is to get work done every season with the few volunteers that put so much time in to make this an awesome sport for thousands of enthusiasts. As far as I'm concerned, unless you are a volunteer you have no right to critisize :poke:

Thank you :wavey:

I see that the thread starter has been around to look but no more opinions :wtf: To all of you who have posted or even taken the time to phone me Thank you for your support. An aweful lot of great folks work on the trails and even moral support is deeply appreciated. Thank every volenteer you can without them there would not be this great sport. And from our family to all thanks to the volenteers.

WB. Tx. Our group always enjoys helping out for a few days/weekends each fall for the district. Makes for a great time to get away from the city, get outdoors and enjoy the company of family, friends and fellow volunteers. We've even recruited some non-sledders to lend a hand.

Thanks for getting the bridges done. Last winter used the Seguin a fair bit as I would go south from Mag to get the snow. Used the Seguin a fair bit this fall on our enduro bikes as well. Thats when I saw there were several bridges torn apart. Some places we had to ride round on the road......no prob bikes got a street legal plate on them...and some with a rock bottom we just rode through...great fun. Again thanks to all....cheers

Used the Seguin a fair bit this fall on our enduro bikes as well.

Did you run the Corduroy this year?

Well sir it has been explained to you . Can you let the folks involved know that you appreciate thier efforts or if you think you can do better offer your services :poke:

Used the Seguin a fair bit this fall on our enduro bikes as well.

Did you run the Corduroy this year?

No I'm waiting for next year and a plus 60 class.......lol and no I'm not riding a vintage bike with Helmut....way to much noise.

Wow ! Not sure why we're getting so heavy on the original poster. Why is he getting dumped on ?

He didin't 'Diss' the volunteers as has been inferred by some responses here. He's actually been pretty factual in his first post. This wouldn't be the first year that some entity (don't know which one) has deemed a bridge or some bridges on that trail unsafe. This determination usually comes late in the year - a good time to hold hostage everyone who has interest in the trail. By the time the OFSC is blackmailed for money and the meetings are held, the approvals are sought and the permits are issued, there is precious little time for people to get the bridges repaired or rebuilt so what hits the news? "Seguin trail to be closed due to bridges deemed unsafe" or the like. People scramble and it get done - usually "just in time" but it surely causes people to ask the question that was asked by Ramsomair.

This year, all the clubs unanimously voted on the number one project most important to them and it was blessed by District and presented. The OFSC chose not to accept the recommendations and wishes of the District because someone pointed a gun at their head (again) and said if you don't spend that money in the Seguin trail we'll declare the bridges unsafe and the trail will be closed. They moved the money to that project. And, so, we nearly had another year of the same 'will the trail be open' question.

Thanks for all the information you posted WildBill on what has been completed, scheduling etc. I think that if that information were more publicly available, questions like Ramsomair's would not have to be asked.

So, I hope everybody lightens up on the guy.

Wow ! Not sure why we're getting so heavy on the original poster. Why is he getting dumped on ?

He didin't 'Diss' the volunteers as has been inferred by some responses here. He's actually been pretty factual in his first post. This wouldn't be the first year that some entity (don't know which one) has deemed a bridge or some bridges on that trail unsafe. This determination usually comes late in the year - a good time to hold hostage everyone who has interest in the trail. By the time the OFSC is blackmailed for money and the meetings are held, the approvals are sought and the permits are issued, there is precious little time for people to get the bridges repaired or rebuilt so what hits the news? "Seguin trail to be closed due to bridges deemed unsafe" or the like. People scramble and it get done - usually "just in time" but it surely causes people to ask the question that was asked by Ramsomair.

This year, all the clubs unanimously voted on the number one project most important to them and it was blessed by District and presented. The OFSC chose not to accept the recommendations and wishes of the District because someone pointed a gun at their head (again) and said if you don't spend that money in the Seguin trail we'll declare the bridges unsafe and the trail will be closed. They moved the money to that project. And, so, we nearly had another year of the same 'will the trail be open' question.

Thanks for all the information you posted WildBill on what has been completed, scheduling etc. I think that if that information were more publicly available, questions like Ramsomair's would not have to be asked.

X2

I think the previous time it was between the end of the deer hunt & start of sledding that the MNR (I think) deemed the bridges were unsafe. Well if they were unsafe in November they probably were unsafe in April.

The way these agencies operate boggles the mind. Last winter someone said the bleachers @ Morrow Park were unsafe as the upcoming Kawartha Cup was approaching. As a resut Ken Avann had to move the event to Lindsay.

-The MNR is the one that pulls the trigger on the bridges .

-actually it was the summer traffic that was inconvenienced the most

-the summer traffic needs to be forced to contribute towards maintenence

-This has been done to end the bridge issues for good.

-Think it frustrates you! try going through what all involved in the trail have gone through.

-the summer traffic needs to be forced to contribute towards maintenence

Very important. It seems that nobody gets stuck with the costs except the OFSC. Unbalanced to say the least.

Thanks for that news
-Think it frustrates you! try going through what all involved in the trail have gone through.
BTDT. My family has when we replaced a bridge that had been in place for 50 years.

We had to contact the following:

MNR, MOE, Canadian Coast Guard, township gov't, Peterboro County, notice in Canadian Gazette. Plus proof of insurance in case someone who was trespassing would be covered if they were hurt on the bridge.

The bridge is over Eel's Creek south of Apsley, so I don't think the Coast Guard would be sending one of its icebreakers thru or we'd be seeing any oil tankers.

Thanks for that news
BTDT. My family has when we replaced a bridge that had been in place for 50 years.

MNR, MOE, Canadian Coast Guard, township gov't, Peterboro County, notice in Canadian Gazette. Plus proof of insurance in case someone who was trespassing would be covered if they were hurt on the bridge.

The bridge is over Eel's Creek south of Apsley, so I don't think the Coast Guard would be sending one of its icebreakers thru or we'd be seeing any oil tankers.

Try doing that 17 times :banghead: And usually in a rush because bureaucrats have decided to pull the pin :angry:

Thanks for that news

Did you do it in November? :P

No, I think it took @ least a year of paper pushing.

Thanks for that news

never by choice was it left late . This current project is almost two years old . Other projects have been rushed through when it was forced upon us by circumstances beyond our control.

Thanks for that news

never by choice was it left late . This current project is almost two years old . Other projects have been rushed through when it was forced upon us by circumstances beyond our control.

Maybe you should revernd to volunteer for it? He can get his done in a year and dock an icebreaker as well!

Multi-tasking is key!

Archived