Haliburton Area?

J Feces

Any one in the area able to update…are they planning or able to stake Haliburton Lk to get the B trail connected. Also any immediate plans to stake Redstone and Kennisis Lks as well? Thanks 

• LuvMyViper changed the title to Haliburton Area?

No real knowledge on current conditions.  I can tell you this.  Haliburton Lake has some currents in it and is typically one of the later lakes to be safe.  I cut holes in Skootamattta Lake yesterday.  Its is one of the earlier lakes to freeze and is a similar distance north with similar weather patterns.  We have 7" in the area the stake line runs.  Typically for 3rd week of February that would be well over 16".  I've seen over 24" some years.  So no good data, but my guess is the later lakes to freeze like Muskoka, Haliburton, Chandos, Mazinaw etc may not get there this year.  Could be wrong, but thats my 2 cents.  If in doubt, don't go or go check yourself before crossing.  Not worth the risk.  Hopefully someone who is local and on that lake can give you some better info.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, signfan said:

No real knowledge on current conditions.  I can tell you this.  Haliburton Lake has some currents in it and is typically one of the later lakes to be safe.  I cut holes in Skootamattta Lake yesterday.  Its is one of the earlier lakes to freeze and is a similar distance north with similar weather patterns.  We have 7" in the area the stake line runs.  Typically for 3rd week of February that would be well over 16".  I've seen over 24" some years.  So no good data, but my guess is the later lakes to freeze like Muskoka, Haliburton, Chandos, Mazinaw etc may not get there this year.  Could be wrong, but thats my 2 cents.  If in doubt, don't go or go check yourself before crossing.  Not worth the risk.  Hopefully someone who is local and on that lake can give you some better info.

I sure miss eagle and moose crossing. That would open fairly early in year just after head lake in town. Really too bad we lost access that way. I betcha there is spots in hailburton lake at 2 to 3" still, with whacko weather. It was never staked last year either I think? 

11 hours ago, signfan said:

Yes I’m familiar w that lake and how sketchy the ice can be. I am on opposite side of park and our lakes are early to freeze w little or no current. That being said we only have about 14 in of ice. Normally be twice that over here. It is definitely an odd year….

Kennisis is not staked but 100's of sled tracks. Spent Sunday trying to clear 62.  

20240218_134931.jpg

20240218_125614.jpg

20240217_115639.jpg

• Like 10