Parking North Bay

signfan

Any good public parking spots in North Bay that people use to stage from?  Ive used the portage in the past, but found they discourage anything longterm (overnight).  Hotels are an option, but if were driving up in the morning and riding out I wouldn't be stayong there overnight.  The ITG shows lakeside dr as an option.  I believe its directing us to Armstrong park.  Anyone parked there?  Other options???

Armstrong Park (Trout Lake) or Sand Dam probably your best options. 

There is also a lot at the end of Cranberry Rd. near Lake Nipissing on SSR703 (not sure on overnight for this one).

Also a municipal boat launch parking lot on Lake Nosbonsing if going that way as well (also not sure on overnight parking).

Dinner bell usually is good for overnight parking. I usually call ahead and clarify if it’s ok. I always eat in resturant before heading out or when I come back in. 
Never used any of above options for overnight. 
I have also parked over at golf and ski in mattawa. Mike usually pretty good about it. Lots of sledders ride in there which frees up parking. 
That being said weekends would be tough at both spots during week you are usually good. 

We like using Sand Dam, just north of the city. Right on the A/D and A102Q. Keeps you off NB trails, which have heavy traffic and dubious trail conditions due to traffic.

Is that where A102Q meets the A/D trail?  Is there a maintained lot there?  Is there anyone to check in with or pay before parking there?  Overnight stays allowed?  Looks like a good solution.

2 hours ago, signfan said:

Is that where A102Q meets the A/D trail?  Is there a maintained lot there?  Is there anyone to check in with or pay before parking there?  Overnight stays allowed?  Looks like a good solution.

It is on the east side of Hwy 11 where the A102Q crossed 11 onto Sand Dam Road. There is a wide area on the side of Sand Dam Road (not a parking lot persay) that always seems to be cleaned off for parking when we went by.  No check in, payment or security in the past to my knowledge. All that said, I just noticed on the ITG that it shows A102Q now crossing hwy 11 about 250 metres south of the 11 & Sand Dam road intersection for some reason.

5 hours ago, signfan said:

Like Piston Lake Cruiser said, you can actually see trailers on the lot from hwy11.  We’ve  parked there several times after a local NB OPP told us he even trailers up there to avoid local trails. Good access to get north, Quebec or Mattawa way. We do the same in Sudbury; trailer north out of town. Keeps us off the rough stuff. Still stay in local hotels then trailer to start the day. 

Sand dam rd, 50 yards off the hwy 11.. Maintained, no charge open to public. Big lot for parking and a great starter spot.

On 11/6/2023 at 12:34 PM, Strong Farmer said:

Dinner bell usually is good for overnight parking. I usually call ahead and clarify if it’s ok. I always eat in resturant before heading out or when I come back in. 
Never used any of above options for overnight. 
I have also parked over at golf and ski in mattawa. Mike usually pretty good about it. Lots of sledders ride in there which frees up parking. 
That being said weekends would be tough at both spots during week you are usually good. 

Great info re: Sand Dam road. Thanks. Sounds like the OP has a solution.

I've also parked at the huge parking lot at Dinner Bell. Same model as above - purhcase meals when we park, meals when we pick up - and often a stay over evening on the last day of our trip. HUGE parking lot. I'd imagine 'safer' than roadside parking, but to each, his own.