Cochrane-Hearst-Dubreuilville-Chapleau

meptex

11 hours ago, Rich Saul said:

Why not just stay on the trail. 

Avoid any issues with traffic and sleds.

The trail is there  and groomed to use.

Been trying for years to keep trails off roads.... 

Your choice.. I think it's a real dumb one. But you have at it..

For many of the past years Trap Creek has been washed out on that part of the trail and I began avoiding it by taking this short cut past Moose Horn Lodge.  By the way the groomer made a pass from Devon Siding Road to open up the short cut and help those staying at the Moose Horn get to it.  There are signs posted on that trail just off Devon Siding Road also.  There is a cut through from Trap Creek on a hydro line which crosses Hwy 129 and then goes almost directly to the MHL also, but can be more difficult since plowed banks are never broken, but thus bypasses almost 100% of the plowed road.  Lots of locals play along the small hydro which continues west sometimes near the actual trail to Pineal Lake which had a wood mill in the past.  There is a Ford F150 some Brainiac drove out along this road until it became buried and a part of this shortcut for the season.  Be careful when zipping through.

26 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

For many of the past years Trap Creek has been washed out on that part of the trail and I began avoiding it by taking this short cut past Moose Horn Lodge.  By the way the groomer made a pass from Devon Siding Road to open up the short cut and help those staying at the Moose Horn get to it.  There are signs posted on that trail just off Devon Siding Road also.  There is a cut through from Trap Creek on a hydro line which crosses Hwy 129 and then goes almost directly to the MHL also, but can be more difficult since plowed banks are never broken, but thus bypasses almost 100% of the plowed road.  Lots of locals play along the small hydro which continues west sometimes near the actual trail to Pineal Lake which had a wood mill in the past.  There is a Ford F150 some Brainiac drove out along this road until it became buried and a part of this shortcut for the season.  Be careful when zipping through.

I never knew about creek since I usually stay at moose horn anyway. Great heads up though. I usually jump on lake at moose horn and follow it back out to un plowed road.  Short cut allows me to go from halfway to Indian reserve without going into chapleau for fuel, which saves even more time. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

24 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

I never knew about creek since I usually stay at moose horn anyway. Great heads up though. I usually jump on lake at moose horn and follow it back out to un plowed road.  Short cut allows me to go from halfway to Indian reserve without going into chapleau for fuel, which saves even more time. 

I have not felt good about running the rivers around Chapleau which I used to do in colder years.  I also have cut to the lake off the road later in the season after seeing many tracks.  We have stayed at the MHL also, but I usually have one or two with me and the cost per night can get to be extreme when you pay for 3 vs. Valentine's in town.

I want to spend more time in Chapleau and learn more about all the routes.  I will be through there again next week, but touring with a group on a schedule.  I may PM you sometime.

Thanks

• Like 1

From our trip last winter:

image.png.c7ef4dc7bdc119280603d9758ca8ce07.png

Note scale of map.

I guess if MHL was open for lunch, it would make sense to have the trail go past the business rather than avoid it.

Okay booked in at the Moose Horn Lodge. Looks like a fantastic place, thanks for the recommendation!

Just going to have to hit the trails nice and early to get into Cochrane at a reasonable time that night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, meptex said:

Okay booked in at the Moose Horn Lodge. Looks like a fantastic place, thanks for the recommendation!

Just going to have to hit the trails nice and early to get into Cochrane at a reasonable time that night.

Timmins North to Cochrane is fast.:icon_steer:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Strong Farmer said:

Did you ask for roast beef dinner. It was best all home made food including bread. When I go to Moosehorn I always ask for that meal for supper. 

How many times have you stayed there. 

Just curious??

Sounds like a great place.....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, meptex said:

I stayed at Moose Horn last year with my dad, it was fantastic!  We were suppose to have rooms in the main building, but a cottage became available, so we ended up in a beautiful cottage!  And the food was delicious!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

Timmins North to Cochrane is fast.:icon_steer:

Watch the driveways along 655 towards the airport...

Timmins Police were sitting at a driveway 1 day when we came thru there in 2018.

Someone on a sled was hit and killed by by another hooligan jumping those drive ways way back around 2003 ?  I would suspect the police are trying to keep the casualties down.

2 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

My comment was referring to a little farther out of town, IE. Hydro line..:icon_lolsign:... 

I kind of figured that :D I don't take you for the driveway jumping type :poke2:

On 1/29/2020 at 6:00 PM, Rich Saul said:

How many times have you stayed there. 

Just curious??

Sounds like a great place.....

I have stayed four times. Not allot of trail in area but trails are always great, because of low traffic. Great  destination for one night.  They typically see about 300 sledders a year when I signed the book. Valentine farms is still go to place in chapleau and can be full more often then not.

• Like 1