Cochrane-Hearst-Dubreuilville-Chapleau

meptex

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to plan a loop for a trip in a few weeks. Previous years I have done official loops (RAP,  NWOSTA) last year I did Abitibiti Canyon-Timmins-New Liskeard. This year Im looking at a 4 day loop Cochrane-Hearst-Dubreuilville-Chapleau and I would love any input/tips anyone has on any of it:

Total - 1,222km

Day 0
Trailer to Cochrane
Night Stay: Best Western Swan Castle Inn
Night Eat: The Ice hut Bar & Grill

Day 1 - Thurs  - 277km
Cochrane to Hearst
Breaky @ Best Western Swan Castle Inn (opens at ??am)
Gas up at Kapuskasing Shell 154km
Lunch: Papa Franco's
Night Gas: Hearst Shell
Night Stay: Companion Motel (heated sled storage $12)
Night Eat: Companion Motel (10pm) 

Day 2 - Fri - 307km
Hearst to Dubreuilville
Breaky @ Companion Motel (opens at 6am)
Gas up at Hornepayne Esso 159km
Lunch: Hornepayne Cindy's This & That
Night Gas: Dubreuilville
Night Stay: Magpie Relay (heated sled storage)
Night Eat: Lol Resto Bar (2am)

Day 3 - Sat - 277km
Dubreuilville to Chapleau
Breaky @ Lol Resto Bar?? (opens @ 8:30am)
Gas & Lunch at Halfway Haven 157km
Night Gas: Chapleau Esso
Night Stay: Chapleau Inn and suites
Night Eat: Dominion Family Restaurant (10pm)

Day 4 - Sun - 361km
Chapleau to Cochrane
Breaky @ Dominion Family Restaurant (opens @ 4:30am)
Gas up at Foleyet 134km
Gas up & Lunch at Timmins Esso 130km
Pack up & Trailer home

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

Not sure what else you need, looks well planned from what I see. We did this the opposite way 2 years ago, and doing the same this year since my splash last year in QC, I need to do trails I've been doing for 20 years, to get back in the saddle.  I'm just on my porch having a stoggy and rum, but when I go inside, I'll post my fuel stops, which should also list times, so you can then add eta''s (extrapolated from my data) if you wish. it's a good cigar, give me an hour. (We go the opposite way because you can make up time along the top if you get snowed in along the bottom.)

• Like 1

Looks like a great trip and well thought out.

Have fun and take lots of pics.

Nunz

Out of curiosity, why would you trailer to Cochrane ?  I'd ride that day right from New Liskeard .... ???  Same thing coming home, Chapleau down to Liskeard ...

12 minutes ago, Techdenis007 said:

Out of curiosity, why would you trailer to Cochrane ?  I'd ride that day right from New Liskeard .... ???  Same thing coming home, Chapleau down to Liskeard ...

Your gonna ride Liskeard to Hearst?. Have you been following the How fast is too fast thread. Dont want to get in trouble..B):lmao:...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Techdenis007 said:

We tried that one time. Got started out ok, but got caught with heavy wet snow  before KL. Made for a very, very long and miserable ride, had to shut it down in Kap.

I haven't been the same since,LOL.

Looks good! Moose horn lodge in chapleau is a nice place to stay and is easy to access for snowmobilers. Food was amazing there too. If you fill up at halfway you can make it to Indian reserve, without having to go into chapleau for fuel. Indian reserve is just other side of chapleau and trail goes right by fuel station. Can’t miss it. Good luck. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

Looks good! Moose horn lodge in chapleau is a nice place to stay and is easy to access for snowmobilers. Food was amazing there too. If you fill up at halfway you can make it to Indian reserve, without having to go into chapleau for fuel. Indian reserve is just other side of chapleau and trail goes right by fuel station. Can’t miss it. Good luck. 

If they are going to be in Timmins at normal lunchtime I'm thinking they will have to be on the trail earlier than breakfast would be ready at Moose Horn.

2 hours ago, Gadgetman said:

Not sure what else you need, looks well planned from what I see. We did this the opposite way 2 years ago, and doing the same this year since my splash last year in QC, I need to do trails I've been doing for 20 years, to get back in the saddle.  I'm just on my porch having a stoggy and rum, but when I go inside, I'll post my fuel stops, which should also list times, so you can then add eta''s (extrapolated from my data) if you wish. it's a good cigar, give me an hour. (We go the opposite way because you can make up time along the top if you get snowed in along the bottom.)

We started from NL. We start the day at 8AM sharp. We stop generally either 45KM or at 1 hr mark for about 15mins. (Yamaha Vector 4 stroke). Exact same trip this year driving on 8 Feb for the week.

Enjoy the trip.

2018 SLD Route.jpg

2018 Route Fuel.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

If they are going to be in Timmins at normal lunchtime I'm thinking they will have to be on the trail earlier than breakfast would be ready at Moose Horn.

That is a LONG day. C101D is not like the 'Corridor' so you don't want to dilly dally. Mind you if you only have to drive to NL after loading up in Cochrane, that's not too bad. I wouldn't attempt it if a person was heading further south.

Denis, they may be trying to avoid the road running on TOP A in the Matheson & Val Gagne areas by staging in Cochrane.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

They were pretty good to us and asked us what time we wanted breakfast. Fast and efficient and food is all homemade. They cater to sledders. Valentines or how you spell it is good too but have to go into town and no restaurant there but a shuttle, so even more time gets wasted. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

17 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

Make sure to take in the L125, and L123 beauty's around Kapuskasing and Moonbeam on your way to Hearst from Cochrane.  Some of the best trails in Ontario IMO....

I can be found frequently on those..:ph34r:..

17 hours ago, TURBO DOO said:

I would also suggest a visit to the Moonbeam Clubhouse or to Della Pieta for lunch in Moonbeam off the L123..

I agree with TD.  While Papa Franco's is good, I much prefer either Moonbeam Clubhouse or Della Pieta for lunch.  Also, taking L123 and exploring some of the loops around Moonbeam is much nicer than the A trail across.

We are starting a trip similar to yours, but we are running the first day through almost all of the Moonbeam trails and ending the day in Kap.  Still well over 200 Km for the day.  The next day, we are riding to Hearst, but including some of the loops to the north of town to stretch that day out a bit.  Then we continur on the Dubrueilville and beyond.

• Like 1

Our group heads the Soo next Sunday, hitting Wawa, Hearst, Timmins, Windy Lake, Elliott Lake and then back to the Soo over the course of the week, Looking forward to the first of two upcoming Northern Ontario rides.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Nunz said:

Our group heads the Soo next Sunday, hitting Wawa, Hearst, Timmins, Windy Lake, Elliott Lake and then back to the Soo over the course of the week, Looking forward to the first of two upcoming Northern Ontario rides.

:evil2::icon_steer::Drinking2:

20 hours ago, meptex said:

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to plan a loop for a trip in a few weeks. Previous years I have done official loops (RAP,  NWOSTA) last year I did Abitibiti Canyon-Timmins-New Liskeard. This year Im looking at a 4 day loop Cochrane-Hearst-Dubreuilville-Chapleau and I would love any input/tips anyone has on any of it:

Total - 1,222km

Day 0
Trailer to Cochrane
Night Stay: Best Western Swan Castle Inn
Night Eat: The Ice hut Bar & Grill

Day 1 - Thurs  - 277km
Cochrane to Hearst
Breaky @ Best Western Swan Castle Inn (opens at ??am)
Gas up at Kapuskasing Shell 154km
Lunch: Papa Franco's
Night Gas: Hearst Shell
Night Stay: Companion Motel (heated sled storage $12)
Night Eat: Companion Motel (10pm) 

Day 2 - Fri - 307km
Hearst to Dubreuilville
Breaky @ Companion Motel (opens at 6am)
Gas up at Hornepayne Esso 159km
Lunch: Hornepayne Cindy's This & That
Night Gas: Dubreuilville
Night Stay: Magpie Relay (heated sled storage)
Night Eat: Lol Resto Bar (2am)

Day 3 - Sat - 277km
Dubreuilville to Chapleau
Breaky @ Lol Resto Bar?? (opens @ 8:30am)
Gas & Lunch at Halfway Haven 157km
Night Gas: Chapleau Esso
Night Stay: Chapleau Inn and suites
Night Eat: Dominion Family Restaurant (10pm)

Day 4 - Sun - 361km
Chapleau to Cochrane
Breaky @ Dominion Family Restaurant (opens @ 4:30am)
Gas up at Foleyet 134km
Gas up & Lunch at Timmins Esso 130km
Pack up & Trailer home

Untitled.jpg

That route is the same loop I'm doing. I'm peeling off from SJ's group @ Timmins to return to Cochrane. They're looping down towards Elk Lake & Gowganda.

Thanks everyone for the input! Would love to leave right from New Liskeard but we don't have enough time to complete that.

I will look into Moonbeam Clubhouse or Della Pieta for lunch on day 1 as well as the Moose horn lodge in chapleau.

Glad to hear that others are doing this similar loop! Very excited about it :D

• Like 1

your hours for the resto in dub, show 2am, understand they stop serving food (other than fryer food) at 8pm. they serve lcbo drinks until 2. they do have great food. the breakfast club sandwich and taters is my goto. Ski

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 8:18 AM, meptex said:

Thanks everyone for the input! Would love to leave right from New Liskeard but we don't have enough time to complete that.

I will look into Moonbeam Clubhouse or Della Pieta for lunch on day 1 as well as the Moose horn lodge in chapleau.

Glad to hear that others are doing this similar loop! Very excited about it :D

If you look at map and take Shepard moose road when you hit it. C101D makes a sharp turn there. The road is un plowed most of the way goes right by moose horn lodge. Road is only plowed for 2 km’s from moose horn to main highway. I rode it fourth week of March and plowed section still had lots of snow on it. Saves about 18 km’s and 20 or so mins off your day. The road is pretty quick and there is always a highway of trucks down the middle. Once you hit end of road the main trail is right there. Great short cut. Moose horn lodge has cleared the hydro line so you can ride that if road is bad. 

Edited by Strong Farmer
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Strong Farmer said:

If you look at map and take Shepard moose road when you hit it. C101D makes a sharp turn there. The road is un plowed most of the way goes right by moose horn lodge. Road is only plowed for 2 km’s from moose horn to main highway. I rode it fourth week of March and plowed section still had lots of snow on it. Saves about 18 km’s and 20 or so mins off your day. The road is pretty quick and there is always a highway of trucks down the middle. Once you hit end of road the main trail is right there. Great short cut. Moose horn lodge has cleared the hydro line so you can ride that if road is bad. 

Why not just stay on the trail. 

Avoid any issues with traffic and sleds.

The trail is there  and groomed to use.

Been trying for years to keep trails off roads.... 

Your choice.. I think it's a real dumb one. But you have at it..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rich Saul said:

Why not just stay on the trail. 

Avoid any issues with traffic and sleds.

The trail is there  and groomed to use.

Been trying for years to keep trails off roads.... 

Your choice.. I think it's a real dumb one. But you have at it..

The road is mostly a non maintaince road, not a busy highway. Maybe have a dozen people including moose horn use 2 km plowed section. I have used it every time, I am in area and have never even seen a car on it. Saves 18 km’s off trip which is significant. Owner of moose horn told me about some logging road I could take from Sudbury area to get there in a vehicle. Now that sounds like a dangerous adventure.

We stopped @ the west intersection (on the route to Moosehorn) on our way from Chapleau to D'ville. Signage for the lodge is present & no sign of plowing @ that point. The groomed route does seem to take you out of your way...

JMO

• Like 1

It's good to know your options. Shortcuts come in handy when trying to save time or avoid rough trails.