GROOMER EXPERIMENT

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

With the lower amount of snowfall in District 5 the last few years, the District is trying an experiment with the groomer that runs out of Graham Snyder's (Groomer Graham)  this year. Snow tires on a rented tractor rather than a track kit on an owned tractor.

grahams groomer.jpg

Edited by PISTON LAKE CRUISER
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

With the lower amount of snowfall in District 5 the last few years, the District is trying an experiment with the groomer that runs out of Graham Snyder's (Groomer Graham)  this year. Snow tires on a rented tractor rather than a track kit on an owned tractor.

grahams groomer.jpg

Talk to the Eastern Ontario Snowmobile Club (EOSC) District 1. They have used a tractor on tires (with chains I believe) for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

Talk to the Eastern Ontario Snowmobile Club (EOSC) District 1. They have used a tractor on tires (with chains I believe) for years.

I believe Graham had actually tried chains on a 4 wheel drive tractor a few years ago. Maybe V2 can chime on that as he has operated that southern stationed groomer many times. Hoping the snow tires will work in low snow and/or for hard packed trails.

On 12/20/2019 at 10:14 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

grahams groomer.jpg

Hopefully we get snow TO groom this sesson. Wish them the best of luck with the machine also..:right_on:

On 12/20/2019 at 11:11 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

I believe Graham had actually tried chains on a 4 wheel drive tractor a few years ago. Maybe V2 can chime on that as he has operated that southern stationed groomer many times. Hoping the snow tires will work in low snow and/or for hard packed trails.

I remember north east hope club getting one, when their groomer broke down. I believe the tractor and chains was a spare district had on hand. That was awhile ago though and did a good job on hard pack trails. I only seen it on trails once. 

Edited by Strong Farmer

Those look like Nokian tires, they’re supposed to make a big difference. If there were ever a ton of snow, I’m not sure the tire setup would be as good as tracks. But if it’s a low snow area, I can see where the tires would be cost efficient and most likely work better than tracks.