Anyone from Kincardine that can Clarify this Bylaw?

Candubrain

This appears to be the newest bylaw that I can find on line for Traffic in the Municipality of Kincardine.

Where it says "other than for the purpose of entering, leaving, or crossing the municipality"........Does this mean I can ride on the town streets from my home to the start of the trails via a direct route?   Or is this more to give a traveler permission to enter the town for food, gas, etc?

thanks

brian

A BY-LAW TO REGULATE TRAFFIC AND PARKING IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF KINCARDINE

Oct-2009

PART XXII -

1. PENALTIES

OPERATION OF MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLES

No person shall operate a motorized snow vehicle within the urban areas of the Municipality of Kincardine, other than for the purpose of entering, leaving, or crossing the municipality in the most direct route possible, or for having such vehicle serviced, except when said person has received prior authorization from Council, or in the case of an emergency, has received prior approval from the Ontario Provincial Police. Such snow vehicle shall be operated at no more than 40 kilometers per hour.

My take on the language, means yes you can operate a sled from your home via the most direct (I assume most direct legal route) route to the trail. Also means yes a visitor can do the same to access food or fuel  etc from the trail.  Only assuming but guess it came into play to keep those that blast around the streets for something to do off the streets.

Looks like a 10 year old bylaw.

If you have seen sleds around the town anytime since then, carry on.  Go to the trail and have fun

Like ZR Sledhead says, likely to discourage those just running wild on the streets.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Candubrain said:

This appears to be the newest bylaw that I can find on line for Traffic in the Municipality of Kincardine.

Where it says "other than for the purpose of entering, leaving, or crossing the municipality"........Does this mean I can ride on the town streets from my home to the start of the trails via a direct route?   Or is this more to give a traveler permission to enter the town for food, gas, etc?

thanks

brian

A BY-LAW TO REGULATE TRAFFIC AND PARKING IN THE MUNICIPALITY OF KINCARDINE

Oct-2009

PART XXII -

1. PENALTIES

OPERATION OF MOTORIZED SNOW VEHICLES

No person shall operate a motorized snow vehicle within the urban areas of the Municipality of Kincardine, other than for the purpose of entering, leaving, or crossing the municipality in the most direct route possible, or for having such vehicle serviced, except when said person has received prior authorization from Council, or in the case of an emergency, has received prior approval from the Ontario Provincial Police. Such snow vehicle shall be operated at no more than 40 kilometers per hour.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/snowmobile-safety.shtml#rules-of-the-road

You CAN ride:

• on your own property
  • on private trails belonging to organizations of which you are a member
  • on private property, with the owner's permission
  • alongside public roads, between the shoulder and fence line (unless prohibited by the municipality)

You CAN'T ride:

• on certain high-speed roads (400-series highways, Queen Elizabeth Way, Ottawa Queensway, Kitchener-Waterloo Expressway)
  • on the pavement of public roads where vehicles drive
  • on the ploughed portion of the shoulder
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, 02Sled said:
  • on the pavement of public roads where vehicles drive
  • on the ploughed portion of the shoulder

Hmmmm.    "Follow Road to Trail"  seems to contradict that.

Its a 40kmh speed limit basically. The rest is filled with grey so a copper could give you a hard time if you were operating your sled in an unappealing manner. My guess is some idjit with a new sled with pipes was ripping laps around town causing a fuss and this was the result. Trouble is now theres a lot of grey area for a copper who might simply not like sleds to right up a whole mess of nonsense. We can only hope we dont meet a guy like this when theres undefined bylaws to wrestle with

Thanks for the replies.  I think I'll call the town office to confirm

Talked with the bylaw officer yesterday and what I posted is the current bylaw even though its a few years old.   He confirmed what everyone has said,.....yes you can ride directly from your home to the trails and back, do not exceed 40 Kph and stay off the sidewalk and boulevards.

thanks all

brian

• Like 2