Snowmobile insurance

Greggie

I'm not so sure I would want to rely on it since the liability laws in Ontario are dramatically different from those in Quebec particularly when it comes to vehicles which a snowmobile falls under in Ontario. The relatively small savings wouldn't be worth the risk for me even if it was valid here.

2 hours ago, Greggie said:

I live in Ontario, if I buy a Quebec snowmobile permit with the liability insurance, is this insurance also valid in Ontario?

No!.  The policy is only valid for Quebec residents, in the province of Quebec.  Read the fine print of the contract, as it is very limited.

I got curious and did a search on the fcmq website and found this

https://fcmq.qc.ca/files/6615/0574/3340/Guide-assurance-17-18-EN.pdf

The coverage is provided by Intact Insurance and states that the resident is covered for loss in Canada or the United States. From reading the document it would seem like Sledjunk said... you need to be a Quebec resident but if you are you are covered if you travel outside of Quebec. Much like we would be covered by our insurance if we traveled outside of Ontario.

Apparently you can get a refund of the insurance portion from your Quebec permit.

If you read the PDF file above it says that only Quebec residents can buy added coverage. I could find nothing about not Quebec residents that the insurance isn’t valid. I called Intact Insurance and they said that the liability insurance is also valid for Ontario residents and good for Quebec and Ontario...

1 hour ago, Greggie said:

If you read the PDF file above it says that only Quebec residents can buy added coverage. I could find nothing about not Quebec residents that the insurance isn’t valid. I called Intact Insurance and they said that the liability insurance is also valid for Ontario residents and good for Quebec and Ontario...

Get it in writing from them.... either way the coverage and liability limits under Ontario law versus those under Quebec law vary significantly. I wouldn't want to take the risk of using Quebec insurance on the Ontario trails as a resident of Ontario then find myself being sued for an accident for the relatively small difference in cost.

Wow, that could save me a bunch if it's true. I sure despise having 6 insurance policies.

Sure would subsidize my FCMQ pass. 

You going to follow up on this one, Greggie?

6 hours ago, Greggie said:

I live in Ontario, if I buy a Quebec snowmobile permit with the liability insurance, is this insurance also valid in Ontario?

Only if your sled is registered in qc, and you are a resident of qc.

3 hours ago, Greggie said:

What's going to happen when an OPP stops you on your sled in Ontario and wants to see your pink slip? Somehow I think you would have a problem convincing them you didn't need one. 

9 minutes ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

What's going to happen when an OPP stops you on your sled in Ontario and wants to see your pink slip? Somehow I think you would have a problem convincing them you didn't need one. 

I contacted them a few years back. It is not valid if you are not a resident of qc and have the sled registered in qc. Sorry Greggie.

Read the PDF, I can find nothing that it’s only valid for a Quebec registered snowmobile. As I said, I called Intact Insurance and they said that it’s also valid for Ontario residents and snowmobiles...

11 minutes ago, Greggie said:

Read the PDF, I can find nothing that it’s only valid for a Quebec registered snowmobile. As I said, I called Intact Insurance and they said that it’s also valid for Ontario residents and snowmobiles...

What they said is correct when an Ontario resident and his/her sled are in Quebec. Did you ask specifics about  coverage when riding outside of Quebec?

2 hours ago, Greggie said:

Piston, yes I did and they said that it’s all covered....

Again, I contacted them and was advised it is not valid for us here in Ontario. Do what you like, BUT if you do not buy insurance and rely upon the qc pass, you will not be insured and may find yourself homeless.

Greggie, in ontario it is mandatory to carry bodily injury coverage. this policy excludes that coverage as the qc laws are different, so unless you are a qc resident, you cannot ride legally carrying this policy.

He nailed it. Unless the underwriter is the one assuring you in writing that an Ontario resident with a sled registered in Ontario is covered while being used in Ontario is covered it isn't. Call centre agents get things wrong all the time. For insurance the underwriter is the authority of what is and isn't 

Hi, I deal with this kind of stuff all the tikme through work... can confirm this would not be valid in ON if you are a ON resident and ON registered.

If you were advised otherwise you were likely misinformed.

Wyatt

I guess if this were a thing, I'd have heard about it by now. 

All of the local guys would be doing it. Living this close to Quebec and not having a pass is pretty close to insanity.  Trails have been open for a while an hour from my house.

I've been burned by insurance companies/adjusters/agents often enough to not trust what they say, even if it IS in writing. 

55 minutes ago, manotickmike said:

I guess if this were a thing, I'd have heard about it by now. 

All of the local guys would be doing it. Living this close to Quebec and not having a pass is pretty close to insanity.  Trails have been open for a while an hour from my house.

I've been burned by insurance companies/adjusters/agents often enough to not trust what they say, even if it IS in writing. 

Mike, years ago it was only valid for Quebec residents and it includes also bodily coverage. I look from the other side, do you think that all Quebec snowmobiles who drive also outside don’t have valid coverage to drive in Ontario? If this was so, Intact Insurance would be sued all over. There are lots of snowmobilers who want also collision or fire and theft. For them it wouldn’t work...

1 hour ago, Wyatt said:

Hi, I deal with this kind of stuff all the tikme through work... can confirm this would not be valid in ON if you are a ON resident and ON registered.

If you were advised otherwise you were likely misinformed.

Wyatt

Why would it not be valid?

13 minutes ago, Greggie said:

Mike, years ago it was only valid for Quebec residents and it includes also bodily coverage. I look from the other side, do you think that all Quebec snowmobiles who drive also outside don’t have valid coverage to drive in Ontario? If this was so, Intact Insurance would be sued all over. There are lots of snowmobilers who want also collision or fire and theft. For them it wouldn’t work...

A lot of interesting info. has come out of this thread. The one that stands out is that you need to get the answers to your questions from the underwriter not from a part time call centre phone attendant. I have been misinformed by these people more than once.

It really seems to me that if this was true and possible using Quebec permit insurance would already be a wide spread practice by sledders in Ontario and New Brunswick.

I guess the thing to do for you Greggie would be to check it out and go ahead with it if you think it's worthwhile. Please report back on a regular basis so the rest of the OCer's know how it works out for you. It would only be of use for me on one of the sleds because a lot better coverage on it is about the price of a Quebec permit.

40 minutes ago, Greggie said:

Look under exclusions. Bodily injury is NOT included in this policy. In regards as to why a quebec driver/rider can legally drive in Ontario, it is because we respect their laws and what is legal there for insurance becomes legal here if they are a resident of quebec. The same as a usa car while being used in ontario by the american driver, does not need daytime running lights, or your ontario plated car while being used in qc in winter does not need snow tires..

Here is the pdf you need to read. You are wrong and you are flirting with a min fine of 5000 dollars if caught running your sled with this policy here in ontario on a sled registered in your name as an ontario resident. https://fcmq.qc.ca/files/8614/7127/5569/QPF-No-1-808_0e_01-2014.pdf

actually someone on the bowtie run last year was telling his group at the dinner about getting the fine from a OPP a couple weeks before the event for not having ontario Insurance and that the FCMQ Insurance permit was not valid in ontario, Now i don't know if he was a QC res or if he was going to fight the charge etc. but for the $125 / yr  it costs me to throw on liability insurance on my sled isn't worth the problems with the OPP out on the trails.

Archived