New trailer?

Baylaker

I'm so excited for next Saturday...so it can sit in my driveway for 9 months! Lol I'm sure it'll have a couple uses in that time frame!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I show my dad the trailer, he says that's a really nice trailer! I then tell him I can't wait for summer and that the kids want to go camping this year. So he says, that would probably make a good trailer to sleep in. So I get thinkin...ya, that would make a pretty cool camper. No sink or shitter, but enough room for an air mattress or 2. Fold down the rear ramp and sleep infront of a fire...ya I can see myself doin that! Mosquito netting across the ramp door, maybe an awning at the side door with some steps! My mind is racing with potential! Lol

Must have been a good day with the new trailer. Some of those toy hauler RV's have similar with a ramp at the rear, fold down beds on the side walls and screening across the open ramp. I did come across a guy once who had a 4 sled trailer and partitioned off the front two for sleeping. He had it spray foam insulated, lined the walls and even put in an RV furnace with the fan running on 12V batteries and solar panels. He claimed it would keep him more than warm enough and next to zero heat loss with the spray foam.

Ya that would be cool. Ameralite makes one with a pop out sleeper. But more than I can afford, and can't justify it for the short season as it is. But the hybrid has a dome light, I'll probably get my brother to wire in an outlet since he's an electrician...I'm no good with electrical lol. I do have a deep cycle marine battery I could mount to the front in a plastic tool box and maybe hook up a solar panel to it. Not sure how well it would work. Maybe run a coffee maker? Don't care about food, kids can eat grubs & worms! Lol just give me my coffee and nobody gets hurt!

Anybody know a good place to buy extended mirrors? Or any good ideas on how to see around them?

Anybody know a good place to buy extended mirrors? Or any good ideas on how to see around them?

What are you towing with? You could always go all out and buy a new truck. :D  I have an F150 with the optional factory trailer tow mirrors which are oversized and extend further. They also have the ability to slide further out but I have never had to.

Hitch City has the add on mirrors.

What are you towing with? You could always go all out and buy a new truck. :D I have an F150 with the optional factory trailer tow mirrors which are oversized and extend further. They also have the ability to slide further out but I have never had to.

Hitch City has the add on mirrors.

Haha! I've spent enough this year already! Wife would probably divorce me...

I'm towing with an 08 silverado ext cab. Thanks, I'll check out hitch city.

I'm towing with an 08 silverado ext cab. Thanks, I'll check out hitch city.

08... it's time for a new truck.... let her pick the colour and the interior and you can probably get away with it. The other option is just go out and buy it. They are giving them away right now. It's a lot easier to do it and beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission and be told no. If you go and buy one after asking permission you are really screwed.

08... it's time for a new truck.... let her pick the colour and the interior and you can probably get away with it. The other option is just go out and buy it. They are giving them away right now. It's a lot easier to do it and beg forgiveness than it is to ask permission and be told no. If you go and buy one after asking permission you are really screwed.

Can't afford it right now. Gotta pay off sled and trailer first. Truck has 197000km on it and runs like the day I bought it. Starting to get the typical rear wheel well rust and other than that she's a good girl! Excellent on fuel as well. 650-680kms per tank at 90L. I plan on running it up until around 500,000kms. Then I'll buy a new one. Costs too much to keep upgrading and vehicles depreciate super fast!

I'm towing with an 08 silverado ext cab. Thanks

, I'll check out hitch city.

Don't get extended mirrors. If they aren't heated, they will be useless most days. Gm has an adaptor kit, remove old Mirrors install new larger mirror. Heater and tilt feature up and down and side to side still works. Looks factory just larger. I bought a set of cheaper extended mirrors, and after one trip, I put on the factory ones.

Some great advice here. Thx

So I show my dad the trailer, he says that's a really nice trailer! I then tell him I can't wait for summer and that the kids want to go camping this year. So he says, that would probably make a good trailer to sleep in. So I get thinkin...ya, that would make a pretty cool camper. No sink or shitter, but enough room for an air mattress or 2. Fold down the rear ramp and sleep infront of a fire...ya I can see myself doin that! Mosquito netting across the ramp door, maybe an awning at the side door with some steps! My mind is racing with potential! Lol

I went camping with a boys group from our church a few years ago and took the horse trailer with to put the bikes in.  Took the bikes out when we got there, and put the air mattress in.  Slept great, even in the rain.

I went camping with a boys group from our church a few years ago and took the horse trailer with to put the bikes in.  Took the bikes out when we got there, and put the air mattress in.  Slept great, even in the rain.

Even after a good power wash my wife's horse trailer has an unmistakable odour that will not go away. Not so sure I would be sleeping in there but to each their own. I have a fiberglass cap on the back of my truck and always have had. Years ago I used to put a double wide air mattress in there open the screened sliding windows and sleep in there. Prop a few pillows against the tailgate put a plank across at the top of box level at the front end and watch the 12V tv. Life was good. Since then I have come to be more appreciative and in need of the more of the creature comforts.

My wife's idea of roughing it is the motel we go to in Midland. She prefers the likes of Deerhurst or somewhere with a spa for the end of a day of riding.

• 2 weeks later...

Ya not so sure I'll be using it for camping anymore. I believe it'll get way too hot being black. Once I get vents installed it would help, also leaving front door open would help too...but conditions outside would have to be nice, we'll see. Might just use the old mans tent instead.

So anyways, I went to TSC and bought a 5x7x1/2" horse trailer mat for $50. Burnt out my grinder and stunk up the whole neighbor hood cutting it & an old track up. My brother also has an old truck bed liner I'll be using for ski guides...I hope there's enough to do the whole trailer, I guess we'll find out.

If u need or anyone needs some box liners we still have a few kicking around at work. Pm me for details.

Ya not so sure I'll be using it for camping anymore. I believe it'll get way too hot being black. Once I get vents installed it would help, also leaving front door open would help too...but conditions outside would have to be nice, we'll see. Might just use the old mans tent instead.

So anyways, I went to TSC and bought a 5x7x1/2" horse trailer mat for $50. Burnt out my grinder and stunk up the whole neighbor hood cutting it & an old track up. My brother also has an old truck bed liner I'll be using for ski guides...I hope there's enough to do the whole trailer, I guess we'll find out.

Actually I found it real easy to cut up the TSC stall mat. I did it with an old somewhat dull circular saw and an exacto knife. I was really surprised how easily a few solid passes with an exacto knife following an aluminum 4 ft level as a straight edge was.

When you cut up the bed liner think about having the tailgate end of the bed liner as your approach end for the skis. They have a taper to the grooves.

If u need or anyone needs some box liners we still have a few kicking around at work. Pm me for details.

I may be in touch with you shortly nunz. Thanks

Actually I found it real easy to cut up the TSC stall mat. I did it with an old somewhat dull circular saw and an exacto knife. I was really surprised how easily a few solid passes with an exacto knife following an aluminum 4 ft level as a straight edge was.

When you cut up the bed liner think about having the tailgate end of the bed liner as your approach end for the skis. They have a taper to the grooves.

I thought about using a knife but didn't think it would work. I'll definitely remember to do that, I was also thinking about that earlier as well and wondering how bad the carbides would chew up the guides. But since there will be a bit of a transition being at the tailgate end of it I don't think it'll get torn up as bad. Thanks 02.

Archived