Fuel Near Bonfield?

Pembroke Stratos 285XL

A group of us is heading to Cedar Gables Lodge in Bonfield from Pembroke in late February.  There are two options after topping up fuel in Stonecliffe, turn off at the A112A into Mattawa to fuel up, cross the Mattawa River and take the north trail (MA150) to Talon Lake to Bonfield, or stay on the TOP A to Lake Nosbonsing, then right on BF201 to Bonfield.

My question is, on the TOP A going to Bonfield (highway 631 or highway 17), is there fuel available anywhere other than on the other side of Lake Nosbonsing (Astorville)?

Thanks!

I can't help you on the Bonfield area. If you want to stay on TOP A check Mattawa GolfnSki. They had gas in '13 when we did the RAP tour. Only a short distance off TOP A.

A group of us is heading to Cedar Gables Lodge in Bonfield from Pembroke in late February.  There are two options after topping up fuel in Stonecliffe, turn off at the A112A into Mattawa to fuel up, cross the Mattawa River and take the north trail (MA150) to Talon Lake to Bonfield, or stay on the TOP A to Lake Nosbonsing, then right on BF201 to Bonfield.

My question is, on the TOP A going to Bonfield (highway 631 or highway 17), is there fuel available anywhere other than on the other side of Lake Nosbonsing (Astorville)?

Thanks!

I live in Bonfield and love Cedar Gables Lodge

The only other place there is Fuel is a Gange's Esso / LCBO :) / Home Hardware (Rutherglen) on Highway 17 - the trail does not go directly to it - its off of the BF201 Talon Lake up Talon Lake Road where it meets hwy 17. 

That being said, my recommendation for the season is to stick to the South Side and get fuel on the east side of Lake Nosbonsing - there will be logging on both the A112A north side (formally MA150) as well as the TOP A between Mattawa & Bonfield - that or continue on past Cedar Gables on Trout Lake and goto the Portage. 

It may be worthwhile heading into Mattawa, getting gas and grabbing a bite to eat. Myrts has a KILLER panzerotti and le voyageur inn downtown has some of the best authentic Thai food you will find anywhere meanwhile by snowmobile. 

Jeff

Thanks!

I think there is a marina on the lake going towards Astorville that has fuel (sign at intersection on lake) as well as a gas station on the highway east of Cedar Gables.

Brian Baker from the North Bay Snowmobile Club is a member on here and spends some tart time at the Dinner Bell restaurant (not fancy but good food)  across the highway from Cedar Gables. He would be the best source of info. for your question.

OR LOOK AT THE POST ABOVE lol

Thanks guys!

Jeff, are you saying there is logging on both the north (A112A) and south trails (TOP A) into Bonfield?

The news for A112A really sucks.  That is one of my favourite trails in Ontario.  Too Bad.

All I know if it is stormy you want to take the south top A trail to the 201. Coming in north side across the lakes from the 112A would be nearly impossible.

What lakes are you referring to on A112A?

Connector trail from A112A to bonfiield B204 I believe. Goes across a series of lakes and has some steeper hill climbs that get blown in real good.

That is BF201 on Lake Talon that takes you from A112A to Cedar Gables.

Bonfield SC does a great job staking BF201 but when the wind blows hard it can be a problem not unlike a trail across any open field or lake.

The other option is to take A112A all the way to A2 and turn left and head east to Cedar Gables which is about a 10-15 minute run without running any lakes except for the 1/2 km east of Stepping Stones to the pipeline and A trail.

Bottom line, always get gas at every available opportunity.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help you on the Bonfield area. If you want to stay on TOP A check Mattawa GolfnSki. They had gas in '13 when we did the RAP tour. Only a short distance off TOP A.

Brenda & Mike at the golfnski are great people.

Brenda & Mike at the golfnski are great people.

X2

X2

X3 been going there for over 15 years now at least twice per season, Mike and Brenda are great folks.

Yes Mike and Brenda are awesome, I know them well

Mike is president of the Mattawa SC, has been for more than a decade... i've been VP of Mattawa club for 4 years... wow time flies! 

Yes Mike and Brenda are awesome, I know them well

Mike is president of the Mattawa SC, has been for more than a decade... i've been VP of Mattawa club for 4 years... wow time flies! 

I'm the member that donates $30 every year to the Mattawa club Jeff.  I never agreed with the permit being reduced to $180, so I give the difference back to my club.

Cedar Gables is a great spot also Dinner Bell is basic accommodation but great food at their restaurant. Both right on BF201 at Highway 17 and 530.

stayed at cedar gables this summer for quadding in the blue sea area , awesome hosts and great food ,lm sure this will be a top notch sledding destination ,

Archived