Trent Severn - Lock 45 Celebration (100 Year Anniversary)

Canuck

The Baxter Snow Riders will be assisting with the Lock 45 Centennial

post-19774-0-07475600-1429214555_thumb.jpg

Please join us Friday July 24th and Saturday July 25th.

Where is Lock 45?   Click here: https://www.google.ca/maps/@44.8036731,-79.7200016,15z

Those were the days.

post-19774-0-61754700-1429216056_thumb.jpg

I cruise the Trent Severn sometimes during slow periods at work:

http://www.cruising.ca/trent/

Scroll down a bit......and the above site includes all the locks, charts, pictures, description of towns, and you can follow the system upstream or downstream...some of the info is dated, but still fun to look at.

Here's the reference to Lock 45

http://www.cruising.ca/trent/docs/L-45.html

Thanks Slomo,

A very helpful resource.

If you're in the area that weekend, send me a PM. A few of us are assisting in the food and "beverage" area. It would be great to see you again.

Many good memories of the lower locks and the dedicated Parks Canada staff. Some great fishin between Big Chute and the bay. I remember the kids eyes the first trip down Big Chute and their first sighting of a train between Big Chute and Swift.

Slow Touring Guy and Gal were rumoured to have made a few saddlebag trips on the Trent Severn on some new fangled mode of transport called a 'seadoo' - would have the same sort of exploration - things only seen from the water - as a snowmobile.

Renting a houseboat and cruising the system is also a nice way to see it - and when costs are compared to other types of week long trips - pretty economical. Don't expect landowners on the shore to welcome you with open arms though. You can tie up at marinas or at certain locks for the evening.

Thanks Slomo,

A very helpful resource.

If you're in the area that weekend, send me a PM. A few of us are assisting in the food and "beverage" area. It would be great to see you again.

X2 - I anticipate going out on the boat to watch the fireworks that night - likely much less crowded than trying to do it from shore

Slow Touring Guy and Gal were rumoured to have made a few saddlebag trips on the Trent Severn on some new fangled mode of transport called a 'seadoo' - would have the same sort of exploration - things only seen from the water - as a snowmobile.

Renting a houseboat and cruising the system is also a nice way to see it - and when costs are compared to other types of week long trips - pretty economical. Don't expect landowners on the shore to welcome you with open arms though. You can tie up at marinas or at certain locks for the evening.

I for believe the rumour to be true...

Many good memories of the lower locks and the dedicated Parks Canada staff. Some great fishin between Big Chute and the bay. I remember the kids eyes the first trip down Big Chute and their first sighting of a train between Big Chute and Swift.

SHHHHH! The good fishing there and particularly the best spots are supposed to remain secret.

Did the houseboat rental a couple of times over the years and split the cost with another couple on one of the larger boats. Became quite economical and provided some absolutely great memories. You can usually spend the night tied up at the locks as well.

As the rental place told us years ago ...."If you need assistance, aim for the nicest boat"

:-P

As the rental place told us years ago ...."If you need assistance, aim for the nicest boat"

:-P

That's funny!!  And True....

Just don't put a pontoon through the side of Fugly... right Canuck.

Just don't put a pontoon through the side of Fugly... right Canuck.

Fugly is not a 'nice' boat, lol.  Pics to follow.

I had a blast on the bay with Yukon last year. Some nice waves.

Fugly is not a 'nice' boat, lol. Pics to follow.

I had a blast on the bay with Yukon last year. Some nice waves.

We should plan to view the fireworks from fugly.

And then hit the best place for night fishing in front of O2sleds cottage......

Night time bass fishing is on the east side of the lake. Where our trail crosses Little Lake and comes out on the east side there is a small point just north of there and a shoal that is just about a foot under water. Lots of small mouth there at dusk and early night. On the west side for largemouth there is a red brick cottage with a big cross that gets lit up at night.... and a spring from the bottom of the lake that moderates the temperature and keeps the fish active. Out in front of Christies Mill there is a small island and a shoal that runs north south from there and a bunch of stumps in behind near Severn Marina....

OOPS did I just say that.

It was quite a few years ago when Go Vacation had houseboat rentals out of South Bay in Honey Harbour. I remember seeing one of these rental captains trying to approach lock 45. There was what looked like a brand new 30 something foot cruiser on the blue line. The rental captain managed to run broadside into the cruiser. I couldn't see how much damage was done as it was on the water side. The cruiser captain walked away telling the lock master the keys were in the ignition. One can only assume he was working on cooling down rather than lay a beating on someone... great restraint.

not sure.........who is that Indomitable Pink Lady ?

IMG-20140906-01032_zps96ddfe1a.jpg

Oh she is going to get you for that!  We all live in Fear of the wrath of Mrs Indomitable (either one)

Archived