district 8 - lagoon city-brechin - knights inn lagoon city

slomo

Stayed at the Knights Inn Lagoon City - map advertiser for district 8.

Local web site:

http://knightsinnlagooncity.com/

Corporate booking site:

http://www.knightsinn.com/

I would suggest phoning the hotel on their direct 705 line to ensure you get the type of room you want. I wanted to park our sled outside our room - so got a 'ground floor' room not all that convenient as you had to come back through the room to lock the patio door when you left...have a helper handy.

Motel has good rates for snowmobilers including a free breakfast which according to ms. slomo was pretty good. (had my own and was out on the trails by this time)

Nice room on the 'lagoon side' with a walk out patio door. The 'parking lot' rooms did not have their patio areas cleared of snow, so you'd have to park your machine back in the trailer...

post-19713-0-73290700-1425843621_thumb.j

Plenty of room inside and lots of storage space for gear..

post-19713-0-10007400-1425843630_thumb.j

post-19713-0-52662700-1425843643_thumb.j

A small kitchenette, but bring your own pots, pans, dishes etc. Fridge was included but we brought our own microwave..getting lots of use from that Walmart $47 special...and when will all places get coffee makers worthy of the name???...not these pint sized things..anyway had our own one of those as well...yep, that's our toaster too....

post-19713-0-79725600-1425843636_thumb.j

Heat worked well and plenty of hot water. Free wifi, but a bit on the slow side. Basic cableTV, iron, ironing board, hair dryer in the room as well. Hotel features a pool, sauna, and whirlpool - getting lots of use from the kids. A nice area as surrounded by large windows to the outside. Pictures of pool area on local website are accurate.

Check in was fine until person at front desk could not describe how to get to the trails.

post-19713-0-09222400-1425843605_thumb.j

This may have been a liability issue...anyway...there is a 2.5 to 3 foot drop all along the border of the property to the canal. A few brave (inebriated?) souls decided to chance their machines by driving down over it, but there is a better way.

post-19713-0-52671000-1425843651_thumb.j

post-19713-0-01325000-1425843612_thumb.j

Follow the shore of the canal toward the lake and continue until you see the back of a large sign. At that point, a build up of snow has created a ramp to the canal and a trail to the lake on the other side of the point. Here is the front of the sign - makes it easier to return or to drop into the restaurant...

post-19713-0-99718700-1425843659_thumb.j

And here is a group of sledders showing you how to do it...

post-19713-0-41078500-1425843673_thumb.j

post-19713-0-87602200-1425843680_thumb.j

We would definitely return here at some point for sledding - features an all in one facility. Trails in the area are excellent. One potential problem for people with large trailers might be parking- if you are early enough or the place isn't that busy, you likely wouldn't have any trouble.

It would be helpful if Re:Leaf or someone local could add to this post and draw a map for those looking to get to the Ultramar for gas.

You carry your own toaster, microwave and coffee maker... are you sure you're not really sledjunk... I think he has all of these on his sled.

Nice report... maybe make a trip next season.

You carry your own toaster, microwave and coffee maker... are you sure you're not really sledjunk... I think he has all of these on his sled.

Nice report... maybe make a trip next season.

That is not all check the fridge and freezer as well 

Amazing report Slomo. I will work on posting a map with directions to the gas station. I'm still learning how to do that so it might take a few days.

Amazing report Slomo. I will work on posting a map with directions to the gas station. I'm still learning how to do that so it might take a few days.

Here's some maps -

post-19713-0-62548800-1425892174_thumb.j

post-19713-0-33086100-1425891811_thumb.j

-Download these maps to your computer desktop

-On your PC - open 'Paint' in Accessories

-then at top - File - find your map - open

-use the line tool and text tool to provide directions

That is not all check the fridge and freezer as well 

Yes... but I understand sledjunk is the guy you want to have around when something goes wrong. I have been told that no matter what you need to get going again he probably has it. On top of that a heck of a nice guy.

Yes... but I understand sledjunk is the guy you want to have around when something goes wrong. I have been told that no matter what you need to get going again he probably has it. On top of that a heck of a nice guy.

I have a spectacular piece of property in Florida that is available for purchase...........

Don't you have an epic to write? :lmao:

Don't you have an epic to write? :lmao:

I'm waiting for the prints to come back from the photo lab.

("Some day my Prince will come", said the Princess while stirring her tea with her other hand.)

Bravo.

Thanks for another incredible "Slomo on the Trails" report.

I chuckled at the"extras" brought into the room. We do the same on annual fishing trip to Moon River - including swapping out 60 watt room light for 100 W for the guys tired eyes (there's a din with only 40 W bedside and 60 W overhead).

In any event, wonderful review of a place not too far away for many of us.

• 8 months later...

Great post! Would definitely like to return to that area again this year - have Rob do a fly over once it snows and trails are open! (or follow that trail you drew on the map to the gas station)

You could really fool some kids at Christmas time with an "approach of Santa" video - if kids have been bad, fly right past the house.

Thanks for the visual, Re; Leaf. Neat drone. 

The Ultramar gas station is a great tip as well. 

Thanks Slomo and Canuck. The drone operator and movie maker (Doug) is 83 years old. He will be very happy with the positive feed back. My Dad (Rob) and Doug will work on a winter theme Lagoon City movie next. Snowmobiling, ice skating, and cross country skiing.

• 1 month later...

Hi Slomo. The Cardiff trail heading east out of lagoon city has changed to avoid a bridge crossing. I'll work on posting a new map with my squiggly lines inticating the new trail.

Is there anyone on this forum from the Cardiff club?

Hi Slomo. The Cardiff trail heading east out of lagoon city has changed to avoid a bridge crossing. I'll work on posting a new map with my squiggly lines inticating the new trail.

Is there anyone on this forum from the Cardiff club?

re;leaf

it is carden  club...bruce both would know whats going on.he is not on forum

Ah. Ok thanks WD. I like to volunteer for the "Heart of Ontario" club because I know some of the members and they are great people. However, most of my riding starts from Lagoon City and I feel bad for not helping with these trails. Carden re-routed a large section of trail and I'm sure they needed extra help. I wish they had a representative on this forum.

Ah. Ok thanks WD. I like to volunteer for the "Heart of Ontario" club because I know some of the members and they are great people. However, most of my riding starts from Lagoon City and I feel bad for not helping with these trails. Carden re-routed a large section of trail and I'm sure they needed extra help. I wish they had a representative on this forum.

carden sno-drifters,bruce's place is north of bridge at lake dalryample narrows on east side on kirkfeild rd...he has a dirtbike track on site.can't miss it...also stores boats

post-22483-0-12131900-1453738041_thumb.png

I'm not sure if there will be a trail to the Ultramar gas station this year.  I'll let you know when I find out more information.

Archived