Dubreuiville to Marathon!?

leoj73

It was an amazing, but very technical ride, even when they were grooming it. As mentioned in my PM to you, I helped develop the Nipigon end of that trail, and I was very proud that we were able to even make a trail through that terrain. The Terrace Bay - Marathon stretch was even more extreme. While looking at that old GPS track I noted the crossing of the Little Pic River, near Neys Provincial Park. That crossing is very dangerous. If you do go that way, your best bet would be to use the highway bridge.

at this time, there is no official groomed groomed trail from longlac to hillsport to hornepayne any longer. there are decent roads that can be accessed, some may be fully plowed and sanded for logging access, some, plowed a bit, some unplowed and untracked, and some tracked with sleds to access camps. you could utilize these to connect longlac to hillsport and on to hornepayne. I saw on Luc's groomer guy facebook page the longlac groomer is broken down, and the club cant afford to fix it. so, I doubt there will be a trail connecting this area this year. https://www.facebook.com/thegroomerguy?notif_t=page_new_likes

Dan Kelly in manitouwadge at sled north could help get you from the manitouwadge limits south of caramat, to hornepayne. once on hornepayne's limits, you will be on ofsc trails to dubreuilville, then you are all trail.

contact the longlac club, hillsport Hilton, Dan Kelly at sled north vacation home rentals, and the hornepayne club. there will be guys that can help, to get you guys linked around the obstacles. I have HUGE paper logging road maps from the logging companies that show all these roads, in all these areas BUT, they are paper, and I cant send them via pdf. Ski 

as far as the sleds, take the deep lugs, and run scratchers, you will be fine on all but, super hard packed glare ice, and super fresh hard groomed trails. I am betting you wont find much of either and have enough lube for the sleds. we run M8's with the 2.25" lug tracks and scratchers. Ski

awesome link BP!

I spoke with Dan Kelly this am, he said bucahnon is plowing this area pretty heavy right now for logging and hauling opportunities. the caramat road from longlac to manitouwadge was not plowed last year but, this year it is being plowed and sanded DAILY by local contractors. the logging roads east of manitouwadge and on to hornepayne are plowed, sanded and used to haul pretty frequently. so this may not be an option any longer unless you run low lug tracks and don't mind running tight plowed dirt roads with little to no lube for hundreds of miles. he stated other than the hydro line, there is little opportunity for local riding except to the local camps and fishing holes.

looking more like you need to go from nipigon to longlac, over the pipeline near hwy 11 to mooseland/bambino's to hook up with the d108a north of hornepayne.

sorry I don't have better news. the news hurts me too, as we offtrail ride the bush roads, and it sounds like most of our "best stuff" is plowed, or we cant access it from town without trailering to the spots, and deadheading for the day back to the truck for day rides.

A bit off topic, but would you know if they're doing the road from the Caramat Highway to Hillsport ?  And the road from Hillsport to Hwy 11 ?  I  hunt on the road to Hillsport from the 11, and it's plowed regularly, but I don't know how far, just asking for curiosity, if I ever need to go to the 'Wadge (my hometown).

I know that terrain, was raised in Manitouwadge, and camped regularly at Cedar Lake and White Lake Prov. Park as a child.  Love the topography and would love the chance to ride that area, knowing how rugged the area is.  Too bad the trails are now closed for the most part.  Hornepayne shares a similar terrain (slightly less rugged) so I'll likely truck the sled down there and ride their trails for a day sometime this winter.  

You guys are more brave than me, I'd not be trying that trek anytime soon !!!!

denis, they have the caramat road plowed and sanded from longlac, to hillsport, and on to manitouwadge.  you can get from hwy 11 to the wadge, in any vehicle but, a snowmobile. :D last year it was the other way around. you could sled to those cities but, not drive an auto. the fry's road (old rail bed) is plowed and sanded from hillsport to the wadge too. usually that is heavy with transport traffic and log haulers. Ski

So. I was flying over some of the old trail between Nipigon and Marathon this week. Beyond a couple of miles out of the towns, there is not a track. Noticed a couple sections that looked very brushed in. Also, for whatever reason, many rivers are not frozen yet. If you're still thinking of trying this trip, I think Geraldton/Longlac is a better choice. The pipeline has tracks pretty well the whole way, and the trail is groomed from Geraldton to Longlac.

So. I was flying over some of the old trail between Nipigon and Marathon this week. Beyond a couple of miles out of the towns, there is not a track. Noticed a couple sections that looked very brushed in. Also, for whatever reason, many rivers are not frozen yet. If you're still thinking of trying this trip, I think Geraldton/Longlac is a better choice. The pipeline has tracks pretty well the whole way, and the trail is groomed from Geraldton to Longlac.

Great way to do a recon

yeah..  Thanks for the Recon.   -30C and the rivers are still open.   Must have been a ton of melting underneath the snow? 

the spur west of Dub to white river, has not been groomed in 2-3 years. it may have been on the map but, it hasn't been utilized at all. and that section has logging roads in there, that go EVERY DIRECTION. some dead end, some loop, some go to no where. your best bet would be to hook up with a local from every major city along your travel group. maybe you will get lucky and link up with a former groomer, trapper ect... that has a vast knowledge of the ofsc trails, and they can get to through to the next link in the system, until you can get to the full ofsc linked system.

if you get to terrace bay, you could hook up with a local, head north across the rivers, bush roads and long lake into longlac. it used to be called beardmore to longlac (if I remember right) OX will know for sure, he has done this, many moons ago, before the ofsc got really big. then pipe line it to bambinos/mooseland.

food for thought..... there is one HUGE ASS MOUNTAIN, you will have to traverse on the hydro line west of white river, and east of 614 (road that goes to manitouwadge). even when the ofsc trail was in, they groomed up and over the mountain, it was tough going for the groomer, and sleds on the groomed trail. it will be a GIANT PAIN IN THE ASS on long tracked sleds, in deep untracked snow. I would love a shot at it with our mountain sleds. :D Ski

\

Our End is ok... Still signed and Hunters using the trail in the fall said it was ok... We will be taking down the signs this summer if there is no change.... last info I heard is that Marathon was trying to find a Way to open up to White River and if our district and our club would be ready to do the other part.... it was just stuff being checked at..... I have no problem doing it but the funds will have to be paid outside from our club budget and we would need better machine for that long trip. Dubreuilville to White River round trip would 200ks. I doubt this would ever happened.... we did not say no.. we just need scenario's who's paying

if you can get to Manitouwadge,  (it will be extremely difficult from marathon to mani on the hydro line but, it "could be done") AND they groom from longlac to hillsport, you will only have to run the caramat industrial road (unplowed, ungroomed) for about 60 km's to get to the Hillsport road.

last year there was no plowing on the industrial road outside of  manitouwadge, all the way to longlac. I am guessing if the clubs groom from longlac to hillsport, they will groom the road, as it will be easier than trying to open the trail back up. the big question here will be... are longlac and hornepayne clubs going to groom and connect the long link between the two towns?

best bet here is to contact the longlac club, Gary and hillsport Hilton, and the hornepayne club.

when you get on the trail at or near hillsport, it is all trail to the soo.

I know some bush rd short cuts in the mani to hillsport, hornepayne area, if you need help. maybe I can "guide" depending on dates you plan to do this.

Ski

The more I think about your trip, the more I think that running the Pipeline from North of Nipigon to Geraldton, and Longlac to hook up with the OFSC trails the way Ski suggests is the way to go.

I KNOW the locals are riding on that, as I flew over it today and could see their tracks.  I highly doubt anybody has been seriously riding much of the rest of the trails between Nipigon and Terrace Bay beyond a couple of miles out of town, unless it heads to a fishing hole or something.  I should be flying that way later this week, and will keep my eye open if we get near any of the old trails.

I know it looks doable on the map, but there is some pretty extreme terrain along the north shore of Superior.

Again, keep me appraised of your plans and I'll help if I can.

BP

at this time, there is no official groomed groomed trail from longlac to hillsport to hornepayne any longer. there are decent roads that can be accessed, some may be fully plowed and sanded for logging access, some, plowed a bit, some unplowed and untracked, and some tracked with sleds to access camps. you could utilize these to connect longlac to hillsport and on to hornepayne. I saw on Luc's groomer guy facebook page the longlac groomer is broken down, and the club cant afford to fix it. so, I doubt there will be a trail connecting this area this year. https://www.facebook.com/thegroomerguy?notif_t=page_new_likes

Dan Kelly in manitouwadge at sled north could help get you from the manitouwadge limits south of caramat, to hornepayne. once on hornepayne's limits, you will be on ofsc trails to dubreuilville, then you are all trail.

contact the longlac club, hillsport Hilton, Dan Kelly at sled north vacation home rentals, and the hornepayne club. there will be guys that can help, to get you guys linked around the obstacles. I have HUGE paper logging road maps from the logging companies that show all these roads, in all these areas BUT, they are paper, and I cant send them via pdf. Ski

karamat is plowed..... best thing would be to Go North Hwy 11..... Do geralton Longlac... if they groom the trail passed Hillsport you can ride the last part into Hornepayne. That's what I would do. There is a Facebook Page for the Hornepayne Club. Longlac has a groomer to finish the season. they are ok now

Hi Leo;

Not sure if you're still planning this, but the Ice Run from Red Rock to Gravel River is likley out, there are a couple of MASSIVE ice ridges that have opened up and would make this run extremely dangerous.

Also, in all the flying I did over the last two weeks, I have not seen any snowmobiles on the old trails, outside of the towns.  The Little Pic River crossing is not safe looking, and the Aguasabon River Crossing is not safe.

I think your only option to attempt this would be to go North to Geraldton.

BP

and with the chapleau club now closed, and not grooming the f trail, you cannot get from missanabi to chapleau and south to Aubrey falls on a groomed trail (approx. 200 miles). and no trail from wawa to searchmont. so this may not be possible this year Ski

leo, I know the area fairly well... it could take weeks to get through from thunderbay to the dubreuillville wawa area. the trails will be over grown, no brushing, no signage, no grooming, lots of stumps, rocks, trees in trail. marathon as recent as last season, groomed to gloria's diner west of white river but, you have to understand, manitouwadge, and white rivers clubs are closed and have been for years, they did no maintenance of the trails at all in that time. there is no one to help you, if something goes wrong in there. there will be hundreds of miles with no trail, no signs, no help. your best bet would be to trailer from thunder bay to dub or wawa and continue around. I know it isn't the "loop" you are looking at but, there are some MAJOR GAPS in the trail system now. unlike there was in pre 2010.

you will need at a minimum, a longtrack worksled, sleigh, and a ton of gas, equipment and time  with your group, to get through from tbay to wawa. plan on staying outside in the bush over night a time or two. good luck.

Ski

:drool-1:

If I just had the time!

:cry2:

I have to agree with the recent posts.  Even under the best conditions, the area is difficult.  D trail, when it was groomed, was very difficult to maintain; hills and rocks to navigate through and around.  If you're going to do this, have a plan for each day and have a support vehicle.  I would love to do a trip like this, but I don't have the time and don't have the resources to properly prepare.

Good luck and continue to post here for any help you might need.  I do have PDF maps available for most of the trails that once existed.

Yeah - sections east of Marathon have "hitching posts" anchored in (old tree trunks?) next to the trail that they would winch the groomer up the hill with when they opened the trail, or after large snows. SUPER TERRAIN!!!

You're either going up or down. At some points I think it may be both at the same time....  :drool-1:

the spur west of Dub to white river, has not been groomed in 2-3 years. it may have been on the map but, it hasn't been utilized at all. and that section has logging roads in there, that go EVERY DIRECTION. some dead end, some loop, some go to no where. your best bet would be to hook up with a local from every major city along your travel group. maybe you will get lucky and link up with a former groomer, trapper ect... that has a vast knowledge of the ofsc trails, and they can get to through to the next link in the system, until you can get to the full ofsc linked system.

It's been 15 yrs since I have been through there, but I don't recall a lot of bush running in there - is there?

Seems like mostly bush roads. ???

One thing that we learned yrs ago in breaking trails that we had never been on before - is that once you were over half way to the next town, you just aboot couldn't git lost. At that point you are going "down the Y". Very few of these concessions are a 90* corner, and when we would git to a split in the trail - you could usually tell just from the angle of the intersection as to which way you should go.

Now if you test that rule enough - you will be sleeping outside at some point.

Best bet for this is to spend some loonies at worldofmaps dot com in their topo department. You will want to get the small / detailed sized maps. I've got oodles of them! Between those, some old trail maps, winter camping supplies and lots of gas - ... and lots of time and a chain saw - sounds like a groovy time!

BTW - I have 10 extra gallons on board and plumbed in AND I've spent a few nights in the bush already. (Wunna ride with me?  :drool2:

Had to split the post. I got this error:

"Hey - Look h'yah Yankee, y'all put down too many quotes for one F'n reply! Fix it yuh bloody knob!"

:whatever:

if you get to terrace bay, you could hook up with a local, head north across the rivers, bush roads and long lake into longlac. it used to be called beardmore to longlac (if I remember right) OX will know for sure, he has done this, many moons ago, before the ofsc got really big. then pipe line it to bambinos/mooseland.

Yeah - it's pretty painless to run the logging roads N out of Terrace Bay if that's what you want to doo. Not that that's what WE wanted to doo, but that's what we ended up dooing anyways....  :icon_doh:

But if y'all can git from Wisconsin to Terrace Bay, I see no point heading up to the pipeline at that point.

However - I would suggest picking up the pipeline at Nipigon and going down the Northern Corridor and coming back down through Hornepayne or Manitouwadge (prolly spelt it wrong?) or something. 

An unbroken B from Nippigon to Dubre could take you the rest of your lives.

But it could be the bestest of bragging rights if y'all make it!

The lake trail intrigues us, mainly because of the terrain and scenery..   We have longer tracks (146") but were trying to use the 1.31" Cobra track to help with slide life..  Right now both sleds have 2.5" paddles on them, which would be nice for that section, but eat slides for the other 1700 miles!!! 

That is a super trail when they have snow on the N shore. Some years tho - that whole shoreline will be nigh dry. Other years I have burried a 136 in there. Not been back through since I have a 163. 

Would love to hear the stories!  :drool-1:

While looking at that old GPS track I noted the crossing of the Little Pic River, near Neys Provincial Park. That crossing is very dangerous. If you do go that way, your best bet would be to use the highway bridge.

Did the Queen pull the bridge?

Will hafta catch up tomorrow.

Hornepayne or Manitouwadge (prolly spelt it wrong?) or something. 

Nope, and nope.

Archived