district 15 - kapuskasing - apollo motel

slomo

Information about this motel has been posted previously, but just re-inserting it into the Lodging forum for anyone's future reference:

The Apollo Motel is located westerly of the main part of Kapuskasing business area on highway 11 and the A trail....a busy Casey's and another restaurant is in easy walking distance and gas and other essentials are easily found on the A trail or the highway back into the town....

post-19713-0-08638900-1419890173_thumb.g

No web site yet - here is a copy of their pamphlet with various features and contact information. (click to enlarge) The motel is a map advertiser for district 15:

post-19713-0-14434200-1419890181_thumb.g

Staff is friendly, owner made a point to introduce himself and ask if everything was okay. Very good response to email and the front desk is open 24 hours each day for late arrivals. Lots of room in the parking lot and you can park your sled outside your door and ride to trail across the highway. Lots of hot water and room heat is fine. Good sized mini fridge, basic array of cable TV channels. You may have to ask for a micro wave. Electrical plugs are available for your block heater....

post-19713-0-13445100-1419890189_thumb.j

Rooms are typical of family type motel - makes a good base for sledding either east or west of Kapuskasing...

post-19713-0-76387300-1419890197_thumb.j

post-19713-0-07146800-1419890215_thumb.j

post-19713-0-98419500-1419890223_thumb.j

Various types of rooms with different rates are available.

I was through Kap for twice now in 2 days.  Might just be the most snowmobile accessible town I've ever been to.   Trails were stellar or better.    Good chance I may stay here this winter, or in March. 

• 2 weeks later...

We were through that area last year with some friends. They booked us in there for the night. The Apollo. Needless to say I would rather sleep on the sled. Will never stay there again.

IQ -  if I remember your report from last year, it was the town of Hearst where you got really loaded....singing Karaoke ...something about a waitress....

but seriously, what was your complaint(s)? I found it an okay place for the few days I stayed there. Not fancy, but had all the facilities I needed as a base for sledding the area. :mellow:

We were through that area last year with some friends. They booked us in there for the night. The Apollo. Needless to say I would rather sleep on the sled. Will never stay there again.

We never had a problem w/ the Apollo. Mind you the old Two Bridges back in 2000 was a different story. Bed sagged like a sway back horse & since  the transports were so loud, I think they were being detoured thru the parking lot.

IQ -  if I remember your report from last year, it was the town of Hearst where you got really loaded....singing Karaoke ...something about a waitress....

but seriously, what was your complaint(s)? I found it an okay place for the few days I stayed there. Not fancy, but had all the facilities I needed as a base for sledding the area. :mellow:

What happens in Hearst, stays in Hearst...HEHE!!! As for the Apollo, it was not our choice to stay there, our friends had booked us there. So we decided to give it a try. Well, upon arrival there was little to NO heat in the room, and no water for a shower. Will never stay there again. That's as nice as I will put it..Me and the fliying Dutchman were pretty close to riding on, and heading to another place for the night..

What happens in Hearst, stays in Hearst...HEHE!!!

As for the Apollo, it was not our choice to stay there, our friends had booked us there. So we decided to give it a try. Well, upon arrival there was little to NO heat in the room, and no water for a shower. Will never stay there again. That's as nice as I will put it..Me and the fliying Dutchman were pretty close to riding on, and heading to another place for the night..

I remember reading that years ago from some American sledders on the old TrailConditions.com forum. LOL

Boy that is bad about the Apollo. We've stayed in both the upper and lower rooms & never had any complaints about them. Did you let the management know? 

I remember reading that years ago from some American sledders on the old TrailConditions.com forum. LOL

Boy that is bad about the Apollo. We've stayed in both the upper and lower rooms & never had any complaints about them. Did you let the management know?

After we checked in, there was nobody to be found....

Are you sure it wasn't the other motel who's name also starts with an 'A' next door?

I'm frankly really surprised - my room was warm when I got there, they were ready for a late check in as I told them the highways were slippery, room, while a bit worn was clean and I had no complaints. Lots of hot water. Someone is at their front desk 24 hours / 7 days a week, even on Christmas day.

Are you sure it wasn't the other motel who's name also starts with an 'A' next door?

I'm frankly really surprised - my room was warm when I got there, they were ready for a late check in as I told them the highways were slippery, room, while a bit worn was clean and I had no complaints. Lots of hot water. Someone is at their front desk 24 hours / 7 days a week, even on Christmas day.

4:36 AM???????????????????

4:36 AM???????????????????

One of my sidelines is a Ground Hog ranch. I supply ground hogs to various communities which hold Ground Hog Day festivities. Best time to check on their dens is early in the morning when they are drowsy.

post-19713-0-71983300-1420997821_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

We've been sledding thru Kap most years since 1998. Every year that we have stayed in  Kap, we stayed at the Apollo. Old hotel, yes. basic room yes. However, every time we have had heat, and warm water. The good thing is that next door is Caseys for dinner, and on the other side is a great breakfast place. The owner provides a sledder's rate, just ask.

In 2013 I spent over 60,000 miles on an airplane, which is many hotel rooms around the world, and even at $350/night, I've had to speak to the front desk about an issue with the room. I'm sure that the Apollo would move you if you ask. Actually, we are at the Apollo Monday the 9th of Feb.

Kap is a great sled friendly town - Dealers, beer and easy access to hotels....all on the main street...

Information about this motel has been posted previously, but just re-inserting it into the Lodging forum for anyone's future reference:

The Apollo Motel is located westerly of the main part of Kapuskasing business area on highway 11 and the A trail....a busy Casey's and another restaurant is in easy walking distance and gas and other essentials are easily found on the A trail or the highway back into the town....

attachicon.gifapollo02.GIF

No web site yet - here is a copy of their pamphlet with various features and contact information. (click to enlarge) The motel is a map advertiser for district 15:

attachicon.gifapollo01.gif

Staff is friendly, owner made a point to introduce himself and ask if everything was okay. Very good response to email and the front desk is open 24 hours each day for late arrivals. Lots of room in the parking lot and you can park your sled outside your door and ride to trail across the highway. Lots of hot water and room heat is fine. Good sized mini fridge, basic array of cable TV channels. You may have to ask for a micro wave. Electrical plugs are available for your block heater....

attachicon.gifapollo03.jpg

Rooms are typical of family type motel - makes a good base for sledding either east or west of Kapuskasing...

Various types of rooms with different rates are available.

I'm impressed that you travel with a laptop that size, and that it works after all the beating it must take....

We've been sledding thru Kap most years since 1998. Every year that we have stayed in  Kap, we stayed at the Apollo. Old hotel, yes. basic room yes. However, every time we have had heat, and warm water. The good thing is that next door is Caseys for dinner, and on the other side is a great breakfast place. The owner provides a sledder's rate, just ask.

In 2013 I spent over 60,000 miles on an airplane, which is many hotel rooms around the world, and even at $350/night, I've had to speak to the front desk about an issue with the room. I'm sure that the Apollo would move you if you ask. Actually, we are at the Apollo Monday the 9th of Feb.

Kap is a great sled friendly town - Dealers, beer and easy access to hotels....all on the main street...

Papa Franco's is the breaky place, quick & good meals.

I can't think of a town that has a "beverage store" that is easier to get to. LOL

I'm impressed that you travel with a laptop that size, and that it works after all the beating it must take....

We can often get away early - return late as ms. slomo sometimes has work to complete and the laptop comes in really handy for after hours data entry. Also found that we are planning future vacations, while on current vacations, and laptop is best tool for research.

Archived