Large Gas Container

RAM

I read a few articles saying policing costs are sky rocketing province wide. 

Maybe if their ETF/TRU teams weren't equipped like the SAS or JTF2 that could keep costs down? In the 70s or 80s the SWAT teams wore a ball cap & carried a plain ole M16 (see Blues Brothers movie or the old SWAT or Hill Street Blues TV shows).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe if their ETF/TRU teams weren't equipped like the SAS or JTF2 that could keep costs down? In the 70s or 80s the SWAT teams wore a ball cap & carried a plain ole M16 (see Blues Brothers movie or the old SWAT or Hill Street Blues TV shows).

I can see your point! Job isn't as dangerous with all of that high tech equipment either, yet they get huge salaries.

I can see your point! Job isn't as dangerous with all of that high tech equipment either, yet they get huge salaries.

Job is more dangerous, because the criminals have gotten more high tech gear as well. Gone are the days of someone just having a baseball bat. Raids regually turn up AKs, MP5s and other weapons. And they have no care where or when they use them. Look at that guy in Toronto who openeed fire in the Eatons Centre few years back. His trial just wrapped up, and you can see video of him just walking around shooting people, than he stands over top of one guy and puts 2 more in him, before turning and walking away. That's straight out of TV.

There seems to be a much different mind set with some of these people today, and the cops need to be equipped to deal with it.

As for thier pay? I don't see anything wrong with a cop making what they do. OPP make somewhere between 60-85k a year (it's paid duty that puts some over 100k but that's not tax payer funded) The world is full of crazies. You had the guy down east last year who play sniper and took down 4 RCMPs. We all saw the story of the natives down around Cornwall laying traps on trails to take out the cops trying to chase them down to stop the movement of illegal smokes. There is a level of risk in their job, and they should be paid for it.

Not me. I am guessing public service workers that were afraid of losing thier high paying jobs.

I know I didn't vote for them... and now Wynne is whining that Harper is not paying attention to her and it's not fair... she is doing this publicly. She chose to ignore the elected Mayor of Toronto and that was fine in her books.

Two 1st hand experiences w/ SWAT teams:

'95: While stopped @ a gas station in Calgary saw their guys drag 2 guys out of a Fiero. Everyone was toting H&K MP5s.

'01: My neighbour's depressed basement tenant supposed had turned on the gas & was going to blow the place up. I was evacuated down the street to 1 of my neighbour's houses. You could see half a dozen DRs (ETF) crouched @ the corner of my house. OK let's rush a house that could be full of natural gas. the guy was talked out about 5 hours later.

I'm generally not anti-police (friend is a long time OPP & still in contact w/ 1 that was a cop in Apsley when we were kids). I just have a problem w/ these almost military units that they have. After the episode @ my neighbour's & we were returning to our houses I asked 1 of them a simple question. Baiscally gave me the brush off & told me to talk to "them" & pointed up the street. I muttered something & it wasn't Happy New Year (incident was the 2nd weekend of Jan').

At least one of the Toronto ETF buildings is around the corner from where I used to work on Lesmill (Leslie & 401) On my way in to work I would see these guys out running at 6:30 in the morning year round and in the rain and snow... didn't matter. Saw them do some of their training occasionally. There is a park directly across the road from their building. Watched the truck driving through the park (similar to a delivery truck) and before it came to a stop the back doors fling open and a couple of guys belly flop onto the ground with their rifles in hand.

The guys I have seen are pretty tough and not big donut eaters. Spoke to a couple of them over the years and I don't remember the number but I was surprised at the number of times a day they are called out. They told me that just because it doesn't make the news doesn't mean it doesn't happen. At least one shooting a day in Toronto and multiple high risk scenarios a day such as hostage/endangering others etc.

Maybe the guy I spoke too was a little too gung ho & not interested in dealing w/ a civilian.

Maybe the guy I spoke too was a little too gung ho & not interested in dealing w/ a civilian.

You never know...maybe he was just having a bad day... it can be a real high stress job apparently and a very few that apply from within actually make it.

The job I think would be fun looking back is Canada Border Services at the airport being a handler for one of the drug sniffing dogs. I love the commercial for the show Border Security where they show the dogs going along.... nothing nothing, toothpaste, cocaine.... then the one being dragged.... go back go back....

You never know...maybe he was just having a bad day... it can be a real high stress job apparently and a very few that apply from within actually make it.

The job I think would be fun looking back is Canada Border Services at the airport being a handler for one of the drug sniffing dogs. I love the commercial for the show Border Security where they show the dogs going along.... nothing nothing, toothpaste, cocaine.... then the one being dragged.... go back go back....

I'd be stealing their beagles LOL. I bet training a beagle to sniff out food in a suitcase wouldn't be too difficult (I grew up w/ 2). 

My wife had one when she was a kid.I don't think you could train it to do anything.

Now there's a dumb beagle!

It's a dog's life:

post-19781-0-34081900-1419012490_thumb.jpg

Our 2nd of 3 beagles used to do that. For some reason my father had leaned a board against the roof. The dog started climbing up the board & sleeping on the roof.

I know I didn't vote for them... and now Wynne is whining that Harper is not paying attention to her and it's not fair... she is doing this publicly. She chose to ignore the elected Mayor of Toronto and that was fine in her books.

Actually she never ignored the elected Mayor of Toronto. She dealt with who Toronto council requested she talk to, which was the deputy mayor, as Rob Ford has long been stripped of his powers and was nothing but a figure head. And its not fair Harper won't even return her phone calls, and its not just hers he won't return. He refuses to meet with most of the provincial leaders. How is that whining? I think its a really big issue actually...   

I'm not a fan of the Provincial Liberals, yes I voted for last time around, only because the local guy was better then the current PC MPP who was a lap dog for Timmy-boy, who was one of the first to turn on Tim after he stepped aside. But 02, your as bad as Sun News sometimes, stop with the spin and report the facts. 

The idea that policing is a dangerous job keeps coming back around, but statistically it's not even in the top 10.  

1. Loggers: falling trees, cutting equipment.

2. Fisheries workers: drowning, heavy equipment.

3. Pilots and flight engineers: air disturbances, high altitudes, takeoffs and landings.

4. Roofers: falling from heights, heat stroke in summer.

5. Structural iron and steel workers: falling from heights, heavy materials, welding.

6. Garbage and recyclables collectors: hazardous materials, heavy equipment, road accidents.

7. Electrical power line installers and repairers: electricity, falling from heights.

8. Truck drivers and mobile sales workers: road accidents, exhaustion.

9. Farmers, ranchers, agricultural managers: heavy equipment, large animals.

10. Construction workers: dangerous equipment and large animals.

The idea that policing is a dangerous job keeps coming back around, but statistically it's not even in the top 10.  

1. Loggers: falling trees, cutting equipment.

2. Fisheries workers: drowning, heavy equipment.

3. Pilots and flight engineers: air disturbances, high altitudes, takeoffs and landings.

4. Roofers: falling from heights, heat stroke in summer.

5. Structural iron and steel workers: falling from heights, heavy materials, welding.

6. Garbage and recyclables collectors: hazardous materials, heavy equipment, road accidents.

7. Electrical power line installers and repairers: electricity, falling from heights.

8. Truck drivers and mobile sales workers: road accidents, exhaustion.

9. Farmers, ranchers, agricultural managers: heavy equipment, large animals.

10. Construction workers: dangerous equipment and large animals.

Construction workers face danger from large animals?????

I have a problem with your 'statistics'.  What is your source and how is it determined?

There is no doubt that many of those jobs have an element of danger and certainly some more than others.  However, the none of these jobs involve running toward dangerous situations to help innocents that are involved through no fault of their own.  These jobs are left to our police and firefighters.

I, for one, am thankful for the jobs they do.  At the same time, I am thankful for the members of our military, and the many other careers where the people face varying degrees of danger to serve our society.

I'm trying to ignore her too!

I have a problem with your 'statistics'.  What is your source and how is it determined?

There is no doubt that many of those jobs have an element of danger and certainly some more than others.  However, the none of these jobs involve running toward dangerous situations to help innocents that are involved through no fault of their own.  These jobs are left to our police and firefighters.

I, for one, am thankful for the jobs they do.  At the same time, I am thankful for the members of our military, and the many other careers where the people face varying degrees of danger to serve our society.

These aren't 'my' statistics. They're from Service Canada. Here's one link to a reputable report. There are many more. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/the-hot-button/and-the-top-10-most-dangerous-jobs-are/article16352517/

And I never commented on the value of policing or firefighting. Regardless how anybody 'feels', the injury and fatality stats show that policing is not a Top 10 most dangerous job.

I'm with you sledjunk.... many of the ones listed keep referring to falling. If they follow safety regulations falling shouldn't be a concern. Fall arrest is required for anything over 3m high.

These people may get injured due to accidents and typically accidents are people making mistakes. The fireman going into the burning building or the police going into the building everyone is running out of because there is someone shooting people is dramatically different than the person who falls because he didn't want to wear a safety harness.

I'm with you sledjunk.... many of the ones listed keep referring to falling. If they follow safety regulations falling shouldn't be a concern. Fall arrest is required for anything over 3m high.

These people may get injured due to accidents and typically accidents are people making mistakes. The fireman going into the burning building or the police going into the building everyone is running out of because there is someone shooting people is dramatically different than the person who falls because he didn't want to wear a safety harness.

Bingo.....

And just to piss everyone off even more. Motorcycle buddy of mine in Texas posted a picture of a gas pump at his local station this morning. Gas was $1.65 a gallon, or 44 cents a liter.

Archived