Classic permits stops at 1999

woodyf

Just a heads up.
Classic permits stops at 1999 and down @ $140 before Dec 1st.
Sleds year 2000 and up must purchase a full season pass.
1999 and under are grandfathered in. Classic means 20 years old, thereby in the year 2020, a sled built in 2000 will be considered a Classic.

Our club wants to spread the word to people who expect to buy a classic permit for a year 2000 built sled. If they wait after the saving period, they will not only have to pay for a full pass but also at the full price.

Regular permits:

Before Nov 1st (online only) $180 + $7.50 admin

Before Dec 1st $210

After $260

Classic permits:

Before Dec 1st $140

On or after Dec 1st $170

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great idea on the classic permits. And welcome to the board

Thanks for posting this info and welcome to the forum.

it really always should have been 20 years old and older

Mid 90's are still very capable trail sleds, but 20 years old or older makes more sense.

Just a heads up.

Classic permits stops at 1999 and down @ $140 before Dec 1st.

Sleds year 2000 and up must purchase a full season pass.

1999 and under are grandfathered in. Classic means 20 years old, thereby in the year 2020, a sled built in 2000 will be considered a Classic.

Our club wants to spread the word to people who expect to buy a classic permit for a year 2000 built sled. If they wait after the saving period, they will not only have to pay for a full pass but also at the full price.

Regular permits:

Before Nov 1st (online only) $180 + $7.50 admin

Before Dec 1st $210

After $260

Classic permits:

Before Dec 1st $140

On or after Dec 1st $170

A 99 sled and my 2000 sled are the exact same sled! I would buy a Classic permit for my well worn 2000 but will never buy a full permit! Anyone with a 15 year old sled deserves a pat on the back for keeping it on the trail.

Not sure where this no classic permit for a 2000 sled came from but its the first I heard of it.

A 99 sled and my 2000 sled are the exact same sled! I would buy a Classic permit for my well worn 2000 but will never buy a full permit! Anyone with a 15 year old sled deserves a pat on the back for keeping it on the trail.

Not sure where this no classic permit for a 2000 sled came from but its the first I heard of it.

there is always a cut off point 

just raising the age to qualify from 15 years old to 20 years old by holding at 1999 as the qualifying age for 5 years.... an adjustment to where it should have been in the first place

just raising the age to qualify from 15 years old to 20 years old by holding at 1999 as the qualifying age for 5 years.... an adjustment to where it should have been in the first place

And it was argued as such at the time. Some great sleds were made 15-20 years ago 

And it was argued as such at the time. Some great sleds were made 15-20 years ago 

One of those who objected to this change was the person who essentially brought the classic into existence. He suggested that it would negatively impact those in their late teens and early twenties who save up to buy their sled and can only afford a 15 year old sled. If any of the people I know in that age group are any indication.... they wouldn't accept anything that old....not cool. These are the same people that will get spend all kinds of money to replace their 6 month old phone, have to have the $100 jeans and the $200 running shoes. My neighbours kid has a better sled than his parents.

I personally have mixed feelings and some questions...

What is the original purpose of the classic permit?

Is that purpose being met?

My thoughts was that the classic purpose of the classic permit was to bring back old customers who still have a sled kicking around, or attract new customers to the sports by buying an older functional sled... or was it aimed for families with multiple sleds.. or make it affordable to younger potential clients...

"He suggested that it would negatively impact those in their late teens and early twenties who save up to buy their sled and can only afford a 15 year old sled. If any of the people I know in that age group are any indication.... they wouldn't accept anything that old....not cool. These are the same people that will get spend all kinds of money to replace their 6 month old phone, have to have the $100 jeans and the $200 running shoes. My neighbours kid has a better sled than his parents."

Out of all of my friends and acquaintances, only one of there kids drive a current sled, but they are financially independent. The rest of us, our kids have older sleds. Some have nice phones, some don't... However most of them have to save there money for College or University. Many of the young adults I know are paying off there student loans.

Again, what is the purpose of the classic permit? Attracting new potential customers, hooking them young, hooking them for life.  It does not matter on what else they spend on if the purpose is to create a new future viable clientele.

However what are the numbers? Is it working?

Myunderstanding of the intent was not to give people a break on their primary sled but to encourage people to bring some of the old sleds in the garage or barn back out onto the trails. I don't have the exact numbers handy at the moment but there are I believe roughly 4,000 model year 2000 sleds that are primary sleds that would be added to the classic eligibility and a total 17,000 primary sleds that would become eligible over the next 5 years without the freeze. These are not those extra sleds in the garage. An additional 17,000 sleds eroding the full season permit base is not sustainable when we are already financially challenged.

I know lots of those "younger" people are buying used sleds but the ones I see are not 15 years old or more. They are maybe 4 or 5 years old.

It always should have been twenty years old. Fifteen year old sleds are awesome sleds still. 

so are 20yr old sleds :D

in 2000

Skidoo switch many of their sleds to the ZX chassis(99 600 is the exception)

Polaris switch to the Edge most in 2001 save the early build XC 600 Edge -save the racer 440

Yamaha switch to the longer travel on there SXr's though the Vmax was already there

Cat went to the ZR 3 chassis in 2000 though the earlier ZR2 style was the same basic design/travel

But as noted you can ride a late 90s sled quite easily racking miles, I have done 600+km days on my 95, if the trails are groomed right you can do many miles, it is when the trails are rough it is a PIA

I am holding off on my permit purchase as I got my sled for sale and most likely be 2005-2008 sled next so I will be paying $210 then when I buy

so are 20yr old sleds :D

in 2000

Skidoo switch many of their sleds to the ZX chassis(99 600 is the exception)

Polaris switch to the Edge most in 2001 save the early build XC 600 Edge -save the racer 440

Yamaha switch to the longer travel on there SXr's though the Vmax was already there

Cat went to the ZR 3 chassis in 2000 though the earlier ZR2 style was the same basic design/travel

But as noted you can ride a late 90s sled quite easily racking miles, I have done 600+km days on my 95, if the trails are groomed right you can do many miles, it is when the trails are rough it is a PIA

I am holding off on my permit purchase as I got my sled for sale and most likely be 2005-2008 sled next so I will be paying $210 then when I buy

I need to check my notes but if I recall correctly there was a motion to allow a classic permit to be turned in and have the value applied to the upgrade to a regular permit

You are correct, it is only for post Dec 1 rates.

Oh well if i can't buy a Classic for my 2000 sled then I will buy none! Just saved me money for the next 5 years and probably much longer as there is little chance the 2000 will be around in 5 years as a ride-able sled.

FYI Classic is defined as 25 to 50 years old.

Oh well if i can't buy a Classic for my 2000 sled then I will buy none! Just saved me money for the next 5 years and probably much longer as there is little chance the 2000 will be around in 5 years as a ride-able sled.

FYI Classic is defined as 25 to 50 years old.

Did you buy a trail permit last season when it was at full season price? If you did and believed the value of the trail permit was there what would change your mind this season. Or is this just an old sled you haven't had a permit for and were waiting for it to be a classic?

Stopping at 99 I think is a good idea, like a lot of people have said, 2000 was when things really started to change in the sled world.

I can see the next change to the classic permit will be, Valid for 2 stroke sleds only. ;)

$187.50 versus $140, if you are going to park it for one-half tank of gas that's your choice, doesn't make sense to me but to each their own.

Well put.

Did you buy a trail permit last season when it was at full season price? If you did and believed the value of the trail permit was there what would change your mind this season. Or is this just an old sled you haven't had a permit for and were waiting for it to be a classic?

Sled I used to have a permit on but because it hardly gets used so I stopped. I had said that when the time came I would put a classic on it, but the time has not came yet!

Archived