GAS IN BONFIELD

PISTON LAKE CRUISER

Just saw something on FS that indicated there was no gas available in Bonfield. We are staying at the Dinner Bell in about 3 weeks and then on to Petawawa. Is there gas available? If not, any suggestions where we can top up before heading East?

Also, is there a beer store or outlet in Bonfield?

Where will you be riding from?

There is gas in NB at the Portage or the gas station on the D Trail at HW 17.

Also gas in Astroville on the west end of the lake.

Gas available in Mattawa & Stonecliffe, Deep River

If you take A112A to mattawa there is fuel there before you head out east. The A trail is better route if stormy but is an extra 20kms back tracking into mattawa to get fuel. If it Is busy stone cliff can run out of fuel, that is rare though. Fuel truck was late last time I was thru there and we got the last few drops of fuel.

If you take A112A to mattawa there is fuel there before you head out east. The A trail is better route if stormy but is an extra 20kms back tracking into mattawa to get fuel. If it Is busy stone cliff can run out of fuel, that is rare though. Fuel truck was late last time I was thru there and we got the last few drops of fuel.

what year was that 

There is a Crevier gas station (it was Shell in a former lifetime) about half way across Lake Nosbonsing.  There was no hi-test there last year and we have 2 sleds that prefer it.   Dinner Bell directed us to an Esso on Hwy 17 at Rutherglen, but it was a road route that wasn't pretty.  Might be best to fill up in Astorville and then Mattawa, but it is a back-track from from the Top A trail 23 kms each way  according to District 11 map.   We're leaving Monday afternoon for a 'leisurely and extended' RAP.  Our plan is to gas up in Astorville enroute to Dinner Bell.  Tuesday morning we'll head north and rip up Lake Talon to A112A and take it east  thru Mattawa to gas up again.......We're bringing beer with us.

If heading south - Astorville. As Slomo says, trail to the lake, then head for the town. Take the trail 'right' into town. It's not marked on the ice (or at least I didn't see it last week) but you'll come to fork on the orange-staked trail. Go right 50 metres and you'll see the gas station.

If heading north (as you will be, to Mattawa) - Portage. Also off a lake trail, and also veer right to the shore. From shore, it's 100 metres to left to reach the Portage. If you were to go to the opposite end of the lake, you'd find the gas station at D trail and Hwy 17. We find the latter too far out of the way.

No LCBO or beer store in Bonfield, to my knowledge. Might as well bring it with you. The Dinner Bell is licensed, fyi. Great people. We stayed one night last week and staged from their huge parking lot.

Have a great trip.

If you stage from The Dinner Bell there is an ESSO gas station at Gagne's in Rutherglen, about 10 Kim's east on Highway 17. LLBO, beer, Home Hardware and grocery store.

You can reach it from Dinner Bell on sleds by using Township roads but not recommended except in an emergency.

If you stage from The Dinner Bell there is an ESSO gas station at Gagne's in Rutherglen, about 10 Kim's east on Highway 17. LLBO, beer, Home Hardware and grocery store.

You can reach it from Dinner Bell on sleds by using Township roads but not recommended except in an emergency.

That's the Esso station Dinner Bell directed us to last year, but as I said, it wasn't pretty.  Further than we thought it would be.  Snow conditions would dictate whether it's possible, but best to have another plan.

Should have said in my first post that we will be coming to the Dinner Bell from Dwight (our staging location) via Astorville. We will fuel in Astorville from what I have read. We'll take the lake to Dinner Bell.

Next morning the intension was to go south and catch the A trail east. It seems from what I have read that unless we want to backtrack into Mattawa, we will have to go to Stonecliffe before we reach more gas. Can someone please confirm that and  also how far it would be on that route from Dinner Bell to the next fuel.

We are all running 4 strokes (although my 2012 Vector LTX sure seems to use the top 1/2 of the tank quickly by the gauge).

I really wanted to do the 197 and 195 trail on our way east but if we can't get fuel till Stonecliffe we may need to stay on the A if we follow our original plan or go through Mattawa via A112A if we want to do the 190's.

The dinner bell is about 22kms from the gas in astroville.

Then Dinner Bell to Mattawa is about another 80KM so you should be good for fuel from Astroville to Mattawa taking the lake then A112 to Mattawa. It is the way I would go. Then you would be able to do the 197 then dip into town for gas if you think you need it then make youre way to Pettawa though the A trail or the side trails (the 130s are nice as well) as you decide if you have time/want to.

You could probably even skip the gas in Stonecliffe and get gas in Deep River or even Chalk River depending on how many side trails you take and how far a tank gets you.

Leave Dinner Bell and take BF201 east (to the right) alongside Highway 17 then continue on trail across a couple of lakes then Kaibuskong Bay then Talon Lake, all of which are staked.

Exit Talon Lake and follow trail on narrow road until you come out at Camp Conewango (closed for winter) and head up Songis road until you hit A112A on your right, continue a km or so until you come to hydro line T intersection.

Turn right on A112A and next stop is Mattawa where gas is available and food.

The other option is to go across Highway 17 on BF201 and go past Cedar Gables and in 5 Kms on pipeline the Top A trail will be a T intersection on your left. Continue on Top A to Stonecliffe or wherever you're heading.

Thanks Yamahas and BB. We will go through Mattawa via Talon Lake.

Trail 195 has been plowed for about 7km on the west side due to logging, this also impact a couple of 2kms on the A-trail east of Bissett Creek.

Trail 195 has been plowed for about 7km on the west side due to logging, this also impact a couple of 2kms on the A-trail east of Bissett Creek.

Thanks KCC. I see it in yellow on the interactive map. May be an issue by the first week of March.

Keep an eye on our Spot Live GPS at www.nbsc.ca/trails to see when A112A to Mica Mine (Mattawa SC boundary) was last groomed so you can decide which route.

We usually groom it twice a week but Operator is off for 2 weeks so how we cover that is to be determined.

Archived