Huntsville food & gas

b-bry

What is available in Huntsville for food & gas?  The trail seems to skirt the town, and my impression from this forum in the past is that Huntsville is not sled-friendly.  Is that still the case?  I'd like to make that a stop this weekend if there's something available, otherwise we'll go to Birk's Falls..

I live in Huntsville b-bry, You are right the town isnt very snowmobile friendly, We were in Burks Falls on the weekend and I cant say there was alot there either, I would suggest finding somewhere around Dwight or Dorset as a base area, trails are in mint condition and you could go in anywhere very easily. The last suggestion would be either SilverSands or Edgewater in Kearney, both places are really nice and not that far off Hwy 11 and are right on the trail.

Hope this helps.

Nunz

Lol go to Birk's Falls...

Huntsville is the least sled friendly town ever. There is however a trail down to the motels now where there is a Kelsey's, 3 hotels, Independent with gas, walmart, dairy queen, remax (lol), etc... but it would be a carbide killler I think 

Good replies - thanks.  Burk's Falls has (or had last year) a nice place just a block off the trail - the Village Pub I think.  We ate there last year.  We'd be coming in from the Parry Sound area and returning there, so we need a destination for lunch & a break.

I live in Huntsville b-bry, You are right the town isnt very snowmobile friendly, We were in Burks Falls on the weekend and I cant say there was alot there either, I would suggest finding somewhere around Dwight or Dorset as a base area, trails are in mint condition and you could go in anywhere very easily. The last suggestion would be either SilverSands or Edgewater in Kearney, both places are really nice and not that far off Hwy 11 and are right on the trail.

Hope this helps.

Nunz

X2 on the bold

Lol go to Birk's Falls...

Huntsville is the least sled friendly town ever. There is however a trail down to the motels now

where there is a Kelsey's, 3 hotels, Independent

with gas, walmart, dairy queen, remax (lol), etc...

but it would be a carbide killler I think

Can't you just get on lake near deerhursr golf course and ride it over to Canadian tire gas bar, down the street from comfort inn? I usually just eat at deerhursr. Not cheap, but easier then going any where else!

Its a bloody shame these towns don't embrace us sledders...

We have money to spend ..need fuel..want a decent meal.. A cold beer..I just don't get it.

Elmvale is a prime example , as I have said before...

Years ago in my XLT days Deerhurst did not like sledders...

Loved walking through the dining room smelling of fuel carrying my helmet..  LOL

I went into Kearney for my first time on Saturday from Dorset. By recommendation of a local, we went to the legion. It was actually AMAZING! 4.50 for a huge cheesburger that they hand made and cooked right in front of us. Sure, not the nicest place, but certainly great food. Deerhurst is a bloody joke. All there restaurants/ pubs are closed for renovations. You have to eat in the main lobby, which is just a small expensive crappy menu. 

I went into Kearney for my first time on Saturday from Dorset. By recommendation of a local, we went to the legion. It was actually AMAZING! 4.50 for a huge cheesburger that they hand made and cooked right in front of us. Sure, not the nicest place, but certainly great food. Deerhurst is a bloody joke. All there restaurants/ pubs are closed for renovations. You have to eat in the main lobby, which is just a small expensive crappy menu. 

x2 the legion has heart and soul

Two of us ate @ the Legion in Kearney back in the 90s. Drove up to Parry Sound, unloaded & rode over to Kearney for lunch. By the time we got back to Parry Sound the rest of the gang had arrived from the south.

Years ago in my XLT days Deerhurst did not like sledders...

Loved walking through the dining room smelling of fuel carrying my helmet..  LOL

The lower restaurant/pub is closed at Deerhurst this winter.

All foot traffic is sent to the lobby 'bar'.  Chicken Wings, etc. @ the lobby bar. Restaurant (huge dining room) has fixed hours (i.e. Lunch 11-2 ; Dinner 5-8?).

We get fuel at the Cdn tire gas bar and then have lunch at 3 Men and a Stove. There's also an Esso station directly across from "3 Men".

The lower restaurant/pub is closed at Deerhurst this winter.

All foot traffic is sent to the lobby 'bar'.  Chicken Wings, etc. @ the lobby bar. Restaurant (huge dining room) has fixed hours (i.e. Lunch 11-2 ; Dinner 5-8?).

We get fuel at the Cdn tire gas bar and then have lunch at 3 Men and a Stove. There's also an Esso station directly across from "3 Men".

We went there last year family day weekend including 3 Men and a Stove. If you are going to 3 Men and a Stove remember to call about an hour before your arrival particularly on a Saturday night to be put on the list for a table. They don't take reservations and if you're not on the list it can be a long wait.

I hope my wife doesn't see this post. Power of suggestion will have her deciding we will be going to Deerhurst and 3 Men and a Stove for the Family Day weekend again. She is somewhat fond of the spa at the end of a day on the sled.

Also in Kearney is the iron skillet, which I have heard is very good as well.  The biggest problem with the Village Pub and the gas station in Burk's Falls is that they are a bit off the trails, this time of year shouldn't be too bad, but does require a bit of road running through the town.  If you are coming in from Parry Sound, you would be able to get gas in Sprucedale as well.

We had lunch at the Iron Skillet a couple of weeks ago and stopped in on Sunday for a coffee, really nice place, Also stopped at SilverSands/Whiskey Jack  and had lunch on Saturday the food was great, especially the soup. nice change from Edgewater.

Archived