My first close call

aar0n

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old English guy at the pump and barrel used to get pissed at me for jumping the banks in his lot.

He was a hard man, but we always maintained a good relationship with him.

He would always seem to get us a couple rooms at a good price, on weekends when the group was bigger than the cottage could handle. Those sled to your bed in your long underwear, rides from the cottage are a very hazy memory now.

The old English guy at the pump and barrel used to get pissed at me for jumping the banks in his lot.

Does everyone remember his Daughter?   haha

I can remember a few nights of having a few pops there...lol...

Scary no doubt BUT that is something that happens alot as people think they have the whole trail to themselves

Couldn't agree more! Have to add a couple things. I think newbies aren't as bad as someone who thinks their a snocross pro and invincible who just rips. Another issue is that there are lots of rental sleds on the trails. That is a HUGE issue because the people driving them don't care if they damage the sled, and chances are they don't know how to drive them. 

Driving a sled isn't hard. You just have to go slow

I followed a guy the other day on a trail where people ride fast, and by fast I mean 100kmh plus, slow would be 70 on his trail. There are blind hills, they are not steep but you cannot see over the other side. this guy was riding 50kmh, and cresting hills close to the left side of what is a 40 foot wide trail. No way anyone coming the other direction could have avoided him, and if by a slim chance they could have, they would have ended up on the wrong side of the trail and into me. Not safe to pass, so i just backed way off hoping not to come onto some brutal accident scene. I would say this sledder was a newb, and as I always say, blowing corners and cresting hills on the wrong side is far more dangerous than speed. Speed is fine if control is present, going slow has nothing to do with being safe, riding at a speed that is safe for the trail and conditions is while in firm control is what it is all about. Police need to stop sitting on railbeds cherry picking speeders and get out there and inforce where it counts, corners and blind hill tops.

I followed a guy the other day on a trail where people ride fast, and by fast I mean 100kmh plus, slow would be 70 on his trail. There are blind hills, they are not steep but you cannot see over the other side. this guy was riding 50kmh, and cresting hills close to the left side of what is a 40 foot wide trail. No way anyone coming the other direction could have avoided him, and if by a slim chance they could have, they would have ended up on the wrong side of the trail and into me. Not safe to pass, so i just backed way off hoping not to come onto some brutal accident scene. I would say this sledder was a newb, and as I always say, blowing corners and cresting hills on the wrong side is far more dangerous than speed. Speed is fine if control is present, going slow has nothing to do with being safe, riding at a speed that is safe for the trail and conditions is while in firm control is what it is all about. Police need to stop sitting on railbeds cherry picking speeders and get out there and inforce where it counts, corners and blind hill tops.

very well said about police. I ride at a respectable speed and my right ski always skims the snoe bank

I talked to the groomer operator on the power line going to Whitney, they have asked for police presence on that section, he said it is out of hand the way people are riding there. I will not hijack aar0ns post and will start my own, but kudos for him for standing his ground on the this. If  someone really thinks that head on collisions are part of the sport,they are azzhats,,,and need to walk away period. Some say this is an off-road sport yet most deaths are on roads,,, people need to be respectful of someone else's life even if they think they are immortal,,,

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I must say we did not see one single dangerous sledder out of the fifty sleds we encountered today, in South Muskoka and North Simcoe. Everyone was riding on their own side, in control. There are plenty of responsible sledders out there, but it takes only one reckless rider to cost a life.

The cops are in the wrong spot you are right . They are judged by the amount of tickets that they right and resulting convictions. Speeding tickets are easy and they usually stick. 

• 1 month later...

Riding the trails in twin mountain yesterday,came upon a group of sleds blocking the trail,{ the 270 trail }.Another guy was in front of me waiting,we start talking he says one sled is broke down.Then one of the guys in the group blocking the trail came down,yes it was on a hill,and said there was a head on but did not know what happened.Both guys were ok,but the sleds had to be towed,one with the front end smashed up real good,the other with a broken trailing arm.Shortly after that on the E108 i met two sleds in a corner on the wrong side,barely missing each other.The wife said the second guy looked like he was surprised to see us,i hope he s--t his pants would look good on the ahat.What is wrong with these idiots,its not the first for me and from what i have seen in my 40 some years of riding it won't be the last.

Archived