My first close call

aar0n

I've had many close calls as I'm always the guy in front of out pack cause most of the guys don't want to deal with the oncoming traffic. But this Saturday coming into Midland I almost ran Into a O.P.P who was going to fast and couldnt make the corner and was way on my side of the trail. Lucky for me I seen him coming well before I came in to the corner and slowed right down. I wasn't angry shook my head at him in dipleasure he knew what he had did wrong and we kept going. I think everyone does it from time to time if I said I didn't cut a corner here or there I would be lying. Sometimes your just In someone else's groove and it just kinda takes you there and it's easy to just follow it. Glad in your case nobody was hurt and hope it doesn't happen to anyone. That is one of my biggest worries when I'm up front.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes being the second guy in a group is bad news in a near collision.  Twice it has happened when I have been leading and a single rider overdoing a corner has suddenly swerved to avoid me, lost control and hit the second sled in our group.

I can also tell you that it is not always the speeding "yahoos" that end up in your lane on corners.  Many times I have encountered the second guy in a group too relaxed in his approach to corners because he figures the guy ahead is "clearing" the trail.

Beginners riding slowly with little riding skills can suddenly appear in front of you in your lane as they slide around off camber icy corners.  All in all there are lots of close calls out there for sure but not all caused by fast riders.

Sledding is a off road activity and therefore unpredictable always drive like someone is coming, lots of bad corners full of ice evem going slow you can grab a groove and be on the wrong side before you know it doesnt help witj some people givin it pay attention keep rigjtn and avoid.

WB.....Speaking of pump and barrel....

back in those days it was a very big "hot spot" for sledders....friday nights back in those days the downstairs bar would be flowing and it was pretty much the norm back then to "have a few" then go down to mary lake and play. 

One fri night with my brand new 1993 mach 1 with zero miles(first ride) we were down at the edge of mary lake where trail comes onto lake not far from the pump and barrel.  It was late and all the drunken yahoos came down from the pump to race across the lake....we had parked well off the trail near lakes edge with several of us.   

as several sleds were racing toward us, we thought where is this guy going?   we started all our sleds as they came closer to show our headlights, one guy kept coming WOT.  We all moved as quick as we could and i watched him HEAD ON WOT at approx 70mph into my parked brand new sled, while it was sitting there with headlight on!    

Guy was so drunk he had no clue....luckily no one was killed and his insurance bought me a brand new sled as mine was a write off.

luckily these days drinking and riding is no longer, it got to be nutty back then.

Dan

I wouldn't go so far as to say it is no longer but it is indeed socially unacceptable to many and is also significantly less. Stats show that 50% of the snowmobile fatalaties of recent years involved alcohol. A few short weeks ago OPP were alerted to a snowmobiler in distress on one of the OFSC trails. Distress = he couldn't walk. They came out and found him stranded. 29 year old guy from Penetang lost his licence for 90 days and had his seld impounded

Sleds have drastically improved over the last decade. Significant gains in power, suspension and handling. Average trail speeds have also significantly increased as a result imho. The 3 things that are in conflict with this are:

• that totally unskilled newbies can get up and go ride way above their abilities of control.
  • the fact that trail quality has not kept pace. We need wider trails and need to tackle the immense job of trail improvement, especially in the rocky, tough terrain of Haliburton, Muskoka etc.
  • trails are much more crowded - especially on weekends

Just my opinion

Sleds have drastically improved over the last decade. Significant gains in power, suspension and handling. Average trail speeds have also significantly increased as a result imho. The 3 things that are in conflict with this are:

• that totally unskilled newbies can get up and go ride way above their abilities of control.
  • the fact that trail quality has not kept pace. We need wider trails and need to tackle the immense job of trail improvement, especially in the rocky, tough terrain of Haliburton, Muskoka etc.
  • trails are much more crowded - especially on weekends

Just my opinion

Couldn't agree more! Have to add a couple things. I think newbies aren't as bad as someone who thinks their a snocross pro and invincible who just rips. Another issue is that there are lots of rental sleds on the trails. That is a HUGE issue because the people driving them don't care if they damage the sled, and chances are they don't know how to drive them. 

Driving a sled isn't hard. You just have to go slow

Is it just me or did they have a lot more two way blind corners back in the day? Meaning when a corner was blind they made a left and right lane separate from each other.

Arron you have my respect too. Your parents have done a great job of raising a respectable young man.

Totally agree with you.  

Remember also driving slow can put you at risk.....i see newbys out at times going so slow, and they dont look in their mirrors.  If going real slow keep an eye in mirrors to see traffic coming on behind you, and also let other riders pass where safe.   This is one of my pet peeves where a group is not watching their mirrors for miles and miles.  

its all about using common sense....most people ride at a nice pace and do it safely, but i find the LEAD rider is usually the guy who is most experienced and often you do get the other followers being Laxed and in middle of trail as they feel safer back there.  

Its best to keep higher speeds to the nice wide trails without the tight twisties....safer for everyone.

contemplating going out today cause it looks gorgeous with the sun.....but minus 25 still!   up from minus 29 earlier!   brrrrrrr

Dan

Remember also driving slow can put you at risk.....i see newbys out at times going so slow, and they dont look in their mirrors. If going real slow keep an eye in mirrors to see traffic coming on behind you, and also let other riders pass where safe. This is one of my pet peeves where a group is not watching their mirrors for miles and miles.

its all about using common sense....most people ride at a nice pace and do it safely, but i find the LEAD rider is usually the guy who is most experienced and often you do get the other followers being Laxed and in middle of trail as they feel safer back there.

Its best to keep higher speeds to the nice wide trails without the tight twisties....safer for everyone.

contemplating going out today cause it looks gorgeous with the sun.....but minus 25 still! up from minus 29 earlier! brrrrrrr

Dan

Dan i keep a constant 40km/h. I check my mirrors every 10 seconds to make sure my brother is still behind me. As soon as I see sleds, even if there not going fast, I let them pass. Nothing worse than having somone ride up your ass. I pull over, wave them through and keep going. Also, if some guy leading his group says put 5 fingers up, I pull over where safe and let them go through.

40 km on a sled and 65 mph on a PWC? Aaron?

40km? Come on AAron, your parents aren't here. My kids 13 and he doesn't stay at 40.

I am being fully serious

40 km on a sled and 65 mph on a PWC? Aaron?

60mph on a large bowride that my dad drives

I take videos of every ride this season. My speedo indicates the following :20mph on trails, I could go faster, but i have found that 20mph is the most enjoyable speed. 50mph on lakes. 10mph on roads.

speed is my not thing.

Funny i rarely look at my speed on trails, just love each trail and its uniqueness.  Some trails i can see some very low speeds, like my trail 52HGR which is into my road, its so tight and twisty you are either on brakes alot or just take her slow...I think thats why Muskoka is so awesome, you can work the sled when its cold and keep warm, or you can hit the big wide sweeping trails and have a totally different experience.   And then ofcourse you got the lakes if you want to play around with top speeds,  We are very lucky to have it all....Ill take these over flat straight "up nord" trails anytime.  Trails like those just get boring, are cold, and just gulp fuel and oil.  But luckily here we have it all in this region.

Ran d101b sunday from dwight up to just below kearney and wow, it was just incredible...wide sweeping big trails, now these going too slow would get you rear ended most likely....lol

Dan

I hear you with the "stand up"  snowcross helmet backpack wearing crew, most of them up my way are high school kids and don't give a crap, riding sleds bought by their overly rich and parentally inept dads.  For the most part they ride fairly reasonably though, with some exceptions of course.  

I hope someone never cuts me off and puts me in the weeds, then comes back to see if I'm ok, 'cause he sure as crap won't be when I'm done.  Laws and whatever be damned, someone someday is gonna learn some respect about trail riding.  Wanna ride like an asshat, you gonna learn like an asshat.  

Someone mentioned about having caught 5 or 7 sleds on camera with their plates easily readable, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.  The life you save may well be your own, when they are charged for careless or speeding or whatever fine is given them.

Ride safe y'all.

So like usual, Im taking my time (10mph) on my side of the trail, and and a very sharp corner some tool on a yamaha comes ripping around. The video does not show it well, but he skimmed my ski. Scared the crap out of me. 

Close for sure. One thing about the OFSC I don't miss due to the high traffic in some areas. Anytime I'm leading my eyes are focused like lasers on the upcoming turns looking for lights and movement thru the brush. It takes 100 percent concentration and it's always the one moment where you take you eyes off the ball that something happens.

I hear you with the "stand up"  snowcross helmet backpack wearing crew, most of them up my way are high school kids and don't give a crap, riding sleds bought by their overly rich and parentally inept dads.  For the most part they ride fairly reasonably though, with some exceptions of course.  

I hope someone never cuts me off and puts me in the weeds, then comes back to see if I'm ok, 'cause he sure as crap won't be when I'm done.  Laws and whatever be damned, someone someday is gonna learn some respect about trail riding.  Wanna ride like an asshat, you gonna learn like an asshat.  

Someone mentioned about having caught 5 or 7 sleds on camera with their plates easily readable, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.  The life you save may well be your own, when they are charged for careless or speeding or whatever fine is given them.

Ride safe y'all.

LOL the stand up snowcross crew. SO TRUE!

Funny i rarely look at my speed on trails, just love each trail and its uniqueness.  Some trails i can see some very low speeds, like my trail 52HGR which is into my road, its so tight and twisty you are either on brakes alot or just take her slow...I think thats why Muskoka is so awesome, you can work the sled when its cold and keep warm, or you can hit the big wide sweeping trails and have a totally different experience.   And then ofcourse you got the lakes if you want to play around with top speeds,  We are very lucky to have it all....Ill take these over flat straight "up nord" trails anytime.  Trails like those just get boring, are cold, and just gulp fuel and oil.  But luckily here we have it all in this region.

Ran d101b sunday from dwight up to just below kearney and wow, it was just incredible...wide sweeping big trails, now these going too slow would get you rear ended most likely....lol

Dan

Couldn't agree more. Muskoka has such an awesome variety of trails. From the Baysville superhighway, to the lakes, to the twists and turns. 

I don't know what trail I like more, the Baysville superhighway or d101b from dwight to kearney. 

Ride safe y'all.

I agree fully ^

I hear you with the "stand up"  snowcross helmet backpack wearing crew, 

WOW .....describes me to a tee. A do most of my riding standing up. I wear a snocross helemet and wear a backpack, only difference is, I'm 41!!!

Go figure!

I spoke to a O.P.P. about this at a stop check on the trail a couple of years back. (giving plate numbers) Unless something actually happened their isn't much they can do, he said we can go talk to the person but it probably wouldn't do much good in the end anyway.  We talked about for quite a while about this nice guy.  Made sense as to what he was saying about riding trails and use at your own risk. In the end we all have to ride with caution when coming into corners this has been a conversation on here since this site has been started just like hand signals. 

Archived