Club Feedback

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are pros and cons to paying groomer operators. In larger clubs it is difficult to find enough volunteers willing to put in the hours necessary to get the job done, but it can be done with teamwork. Also, its difficult to fire a volunteer but it can be done. Volunteers don't always like being told how/when to do the job by other volunteers ie: directors, president. A volunteer however usually takes more pride in getting a perfect trail and takes it personally if it is messed up by rough riders!! There are some phenomenal trails in this area being groomed by volunteers and when they post pictures you can see the pride they have in their work. Some times paid operators don't really care, it's a job and just want to put in their hours (not too many or UI gets cut off!!) Some also don't care if the equipment gets damaged. I don't think there is a perfect answer to that one.

Paid administrators at club level are not as common but the HCSA has one. The one that left a couple of years ago, practically ran the club except for trails and some of the fundraising although she was always willing to lend a hand. She also did a lot of work on a volunteer basis but that wasn't recognized. I don't know about the new administrator so am not commenting on the current situation.

A majority of the job started by permit input and then grew as volunteers disappeared and the administrator took on that responsibility as well. If you have a strong Club board, the directors should take on certain areas of responsibility and have a group of volunteers to help in that area.

When you have 6 groomers and several pieces of equipment, ie: sleds, chain saws, etc it may be more difficult to not pay a mechanic but once again if you have enough resources that too can be divided up.

So the key is getting enough volunteers and recognizing their strengths and using them in the areas they want to help in. Don't ask a trail guy to attend all the meetings or to understand the politics. They really don't care!!

Keeping the volunteer is another story, but if you give respect, and recognition it goes a long long way!! JMO

Great thread. I think all clubs should share their groomer gps

Now that would be interesting. It sure would keep the clubs honest. I've been trying to think of a negative aspect but am coming up empty unless the club decides to just run the groomer panning instead of actually doing real grooming when necessary just to say they are out there!!

Good thread. Why is it that HCSA grooms during the day? We had this discussion many times last year at directors meetings. It doesn't make sense to me that the grooming is done during the day for a few reasons. One, more sled traffic so increased chance of collision. Two, more sled traffic so trails don't get a chance to set up.

Great idea on sharing groomer GPS. I check Tall Pines GPS tracks before heading out pretty much every time.

Good thread. Why is it that HCSA grooms during the day? We had this discussion many times last year at directors meetings. It doesn't make sense to me that the grooming is done during the day for a few reasons. One, more sled traffic so increased chance of collision. Two, more sled traffic so trails don't get a chance to set up.

Great idea on sharing groomer GPS. I check Tall Pines GPS tracks before heading out pretty much every time.

Yeah the SPOT is HUGE. I plan my routes according to grooming by Tall pines and Algonquin's (hidden gem but I will provide link to those who want it). The OFSC spent big bucks installing them, SHARE THE DAMN THINGS

It's FRIDAY at the peak of snowmobile season, and no updates on the HCSA site since last MONDAY ? Get real.

HCSA could sure use some improvement in timely, accurate communication. Information has been slow in coming this year and not always exactly accurate. I feel bad for the club reps that are posting the info as they look bad but they're only passing on what they've been told and when they are told.

I am just happy If everything is staked and signed properly soon. I will be up in about three weeks, so I hope the club doesn't run out of cash and shut down early like some people are saying could happen.

Here is some simple feedback!!!!  Update the website, and groom the god dam trails!!!!!  B trail not groomed from trail 4 to who know's where with moguls that swallow sleds trail 8 S(*%  not groomed.  Not sure where and club reps are in all of these chat forums!!!  I hope anyone who has a problem emails the club president    president@hcsa.on.ca  Maybe he will start to do something soon before another year passes by.

Here is some simple feedback!!!!  Update the website, and groom the god dam trails!!!!!  B trail not groomed from trail 4 to who know's where with moguls that swallow sleds trail 8 S(*%  not groomed.  Not sure where and club reps are in all of these chat forums!!!  I hope anyone who has a problem emails the club president    president@hcsa.on.ca  Maybe he will start to do something soon before another year passes by.

Classic newbie.  Have some class.

The B from trail 4 to at least Hawk Lk. hasn't been groomed for a couple of weeks now. The moguls are very large and the only way to ride it is standing the whole way. Not very good for a Top trail that is also part of the RAP tour. I'm aware of the broken groomer but lets not forget this is a club with 6 groomers and a staff of paid groomer operators. I have sent at least 4 emails over the past week to the club asking when the trail will be groomed. I have yet to hear anything back from anyone associated with the club. I have also notified the District of the gross neglect in grooming of a Top trail. It is worth mentioning that secondary trails have been groomed.

Classic newbie.  Have some class.

Not new just new to the chat forum!!!!    Have some class???  IS asking for groomed trails more that once every 2-3 weeks too much to ask??  Also sick and tired of the worst trails in the OFSC system!!!!!  I have also emailed the District and complained about the president and his lack of interest in the trial system and the grooming.  

just looked at their site last updated Monday jan 20 2014, you meant not updated since this Monday didn't you ?

LIVIN'

Livin, I don't think people are questioning that the site was last updated on the 20th. I guessing they would like to see updates a bit more frequently.

My issue is that the B from 4 to Hawk hasn't been groomed for 2 weeks. You told us last week that you were the ears and voice of the club on the forum so I've sent you daily trail reports this week ( both good and bad) and asked every day when the B will be groomed. As of this moment I still haven't received an answer from anyone in the club. Is it safe to assume that you couldn't get an answer to my question either?

Hmmm....let's see....spent several evenings this week doing year end for 2 companies, trained new office administrator, worked full-time, worked on HST balancing/remittance, filed and completed WSIB remittance...gee, I wonder why nobody's gotten back to you.

Livin, I assume it's you on Teeners computer. All you had to do was let me know you were looking into it or forward the question to the President. I'm sure someone in the club could have responded. Let's not forget you are the one who claimed to be the ears and voice of the club and all I was doing was asking you a question. The courtesy of a response shouldn't be too much to expect.

Hey jrhz06, the post was from Teener. While I was working on all the stuff mentioned, Livin' was going full-out running the business. Sorry if that's not good enough for anybody on this forum, didn't realize it's a crime to work hard so you can afford to play and try to help out a little on the side. 

just so you know its both of us ,here ya go ...your pm to me said  I looked like I was full of crap no time for this I'm done too.

LIVIN'

Please re-read  the email that I sent you. I stated that a member of the club made you look like you were full of crap. I later commented in the same email that you were now up against the same thing that I was last year. Sorry if I've offended you or Teener.

We rode from Sunderland to Haliburton, to Harcourt, Wilberforce, Gooderham, back to Haliburton and then back to Sunderland over the weekend. Heart of Ontario, Kawartha Lakes Snowmobile Club and Paudash Trail Blazers had all done a great job on the trails. HCSA was OK but the rail line from Kinmount to Donald was not groomed on Friday and was not groomed on our way back on Sunday. Considering the conditions every where else that section of the trail was very disappointing. I would have expected the rail line from Kinmount to Haliburton to be groomed almost every night and particularly on weekend nights. The only reason I can see not to groom it is to slow riders down.

Yep, I agree. Rode from Uxbridge, up the B103 to the 7 to Pinestone, and then back ... 300kms. Route 7 was great, B103 rail bed was bumpy down to Kinmount ... disappointing!

Archived