Lake Ontario

mgooding

I heard Lake Ontario has ice as far as 3 to 4 miles off of the shore. I have never rode Lake Ontario, but it certainly would be cool.

Not after today I bet...lol

Haha yeah. I'd love to get out on that lake. It would something to remember.

It used to freeze right over quite regularly but not in the last 30 years.

Yeah, that's why I think it would be cool, because in 30 years, who knows what our sledding will be like.

Yeah, that's why I think it would be cool, because in 30 years, who knows what our sledding will be like.

I think of that everyday. When Im 40, what will it be like? I fear I might have to go up to cochrane to experience snowmobile conditions that I'm used too in muskoka

I grew up in Hamilton, in 1977 we had over 8ft of snow on the ground in January.  They closed school for a week and a half to dig out the roads.   Lake Ontario froze right across that winter.  

It used to freeze right over quite regularly but not in the last 30 years.

Not really, as a matter of fact lake Ontario is the least likely of all the great lakes to freeze over completely. it last had complete cover in ice in 1934 and in 1993 it come close but did not ice in completely.

Erie, the shallowest and farthest south of the lakes, is the most likely to freeze to that point, with a chance of 69 per cent. Huron comes next at a 22-per-cent probability, followed by Superior at 17 per cent and Michigan at 11 per cent.

Lake Ontario has a mere 1-in-100 chance of having 90-per-cent ice coverage, the CIS estimates.  

Not really, as a matter of fact lake Ontario is the least likely of all the great lakes to freeze over completely. it last had complete cover in ice in 1934 and in 1993 it come close but did not ice in completely.

Erie, the shallowest and farthest south of the lakes, is the most likely to freeze to that point, with a chance of 69 per cent. Huron comes next at a 22-per-cent probability, followed by Superior at 17 per cent and Michigan at 11 per cent.

Lake Ontario has a mere 1-in-100 chance of having 90-per-cent ice coverage, the CIS estimates.  

VERY INTERESTING. Thanks for sharing. Maybe lake ontario doesn't freeze because there are soo many damn pollutants in it. It will mutate you if you swim in it...lol

Not sure where you heard this news, but Lake Ontario has had almost no ice on it this year. Atleast the parts I see everyday from the 401 between Pickering and Belleville. It's been too damn windy for any ice to build up.

I've spend my whole life within 5 miles of the lake and in 40 years I never remembering seeing much more than a few hundred yards of ice off the shore, so I wonder where they are measuring this so called freeze over. In my mind a freeze over would be when the lake freezes over at its widest point. Which is at Brighton, almost 60miles of open water.

niagara-falls-frozen-over-in-1911.jpg

are you suggesting we have had global warming for over 100 years... I thought the greenhouse gasses caused global warming and the depletion of the ozone. :brr:  :-)

According to this link, Niagara Falls was partially frozen last week:

http://www.ibtimes.com/did-niagara-falls-freeze-2014-photographer-captures-partially-frozen-waterfall-pictures-1534060

I lived in Port Colborne in 1977. Semi trucks and homes along Lake Erie were buried. Some cottages collapsed from the weight of snow. A sledder got clotheslined by a telephone cable. People could only move around by sled. There was still a local snowmobile club then.The army used tracked vehicles to bring in supplies. In 1978 it was so cold Lake Erie froze over completely and we had almost no snow. 

WRT Global Warming/Climate Change/Extreme Weather, The last three winters in Europe have been the coldest on record. Perhaps we're cycling back towards the next ice age.

post-21349-0-18876300-1389561076_thumb.jpg

I grew up in Hamilton, in 1977 we had over 8ft of snow on the ground in January.  They closed school for a week and a half to dig out the roads.   Lake Ontario froze right across that winter.

Ah the blizzard of 77, the good old days!!

Snow banks so high you were able to dig tunnels in them.

How about when niagara falls froze over, that was amazing to look at thaose pics....

NiagaraIII_sm.jpg

Wouldn't be able to walk on the falls if they froze over today!!

Archived