OFSC HEAD OFFICE SHOULD CLOSE ALL TRAILS THIS WEEKEND!

aar0n

With just about all of Ontarip receiving rain and hot temperatures, all the groomers hard work could be destroyed. Currently,just about every trail is groomed to perfection! But the trails are soft as the snow was fluffy. If we let the snow soak up moisture and refreeze throughout the week, WE WILL HAVE INDESTRUCTIBLE HIGHWAYS THE REST OF THE SEASON. Anyone thinking of riding this weekend, please change your plans as you will simply ruin the trails for the season. Relax at home this weekend and let there be awesome trails for the season. Can somebody influencial pass this onto the ofsc. ALL TRAILS SHOULD BE CLOSED.

Really minus 13 in Lindsay right now. Lets all panic when it actually gets above 0

I think the clubs are doing a great job reporting and grooming. The Barrie office only facilitates for the clubs. Our club is out grooming right now ahead of the warm spell and will decide tomorrow what the next step shall be....   How is the Barrie office to know how Cochrane is doing vs Wawa vs Ottawa vs Dorset?

It is up to individual clubs to determine when to close trails as they know best for their areas

Trails will be fine. Nobody likes riding in the rain but regardless if trails are open or closed people will be on them. Hopefully sledders use common sense and dont tear them up when its warm.

Should go down below zero sunday and not into the deep freeze. Clubs will get out there when its below freezing but still mild enough to groom the ruts.

My trails have not even been groomed since the storm... Hope they get out tomorrow.

Should come south. Milverton was awesome today.

Should come south. Milverton was awesome today.

Thought you had no time?

With just about all of Ontarip receiving rain and hot temperatures, all the groomers hard work could be destroyed. Currently,just about every trail is groomed to perfection! But the trails are soft as the snow was fluffy. If we let the snow soak up moisture and refreeze throughout the week, WE WILL HAVE INDESTRUCTIBLE HIGHWAYS THE REST OF THE SEASON. Anyone thinking of riding this weekend, please change your plans as you will simply ruin the trails for the season. Relax at home this weekend and let there be awesome trails for the season. Can somebody influencial pass this onto the ofsc. ALL TRAILS SHOULD BE CLOSED.

Don't freak out Aaron. Same thing happened last year on January 13 or so. Here's a little project to keep you busy during the rain on Saturday, until the trails refreeze on Sunday....

Paper-Snowmobile-Project.pdf

post-19713-0-98645900-1389347437_thumb.j

post-19713-0-40228500-1389347430_thumb.j

Have fun!

Trails will be fine. Nobody likes riding in the rain but regardless if trails are open or closed people will be on them. Hopefully sledders use common sense and dont tear them up when its warm.

Should go down below zero sunday and not into the deep freeze. Clubs will get out there when its below freezing but still mild enough to groom the ruts.

''Tear them up''?.......Ive never seen that happen......damn 20 year olds with goggles and backpacks,shredding every turn and road cross!!!,was out last night,by 8 pm,every dick and harry drillin holes,whilst my wife and i just tootin along doublin up...........as always they'll get carved!

''Tear them up''?.......Ive never seen that happen......damn 20 year olds with goggles and backpacks,shredding every turn and road cross!!!,was out last night,by 8 pm,every dick and harry drillin holes,whilst my wife and i just tootin along doublin up...........as always they'll get carved!

YEP! Ok didnt realize it was up to club. area around lob should close this weekend imo

YEP! Ok didnt realize it was up to club. area around lob should close this weekend imo

it won't and they shouldn't. Couple mm of rain will likely help the trails not hurt.

Its amazing what a few thousand pounds on a groomer drag will do. :)

I often wear a backpack, always goggles (way better) and tear the living crap out of the trails. Dont care to ride in the rain though!

it won't and they shouldn't. Couple mm of rain will likely help the trails not hurt.

Its amazing what a few thousand pounds on a groomer drag will do. :)

I often wear a backpack, always goggles (way better) and tear the living crap out of the trails. Dont care to ride in the rain though!

I agree with the googles thing. But not the backpack. That just seems kind of wannabee

I agree with the googles thing. But not the backpack. That just seems kind of wannabee

Aaron come ride with me and well see who wants to be who. I put a backpack on when I'm staying overnight somewhere. :). I hate saddlebags!

killer, I agree you should wear what you like.

But why do you "tear the living crap out of the trails"?

lol...its so easy to stir people up

killer, I agree you should wear what you like.

But why do you "tear the living crap out of the trails"?

Blake I've been riding a long time, in this area in particular.  I know when and where I can lay it on and do.     I ride hard and to the right, especially when I'm alone or with a fast group.   I also ride with my old man who is 73 on his fan cooled sled, I just stop a lot more with him :)

I have been helping the snowmobile club for the past 6 or 7 years and understand what it takes to get the trails the way they are and most if not all of it is in how you groom, not how riders ride.      Gary Evans the president of Tall Pines and MSR's groomer boss is a trail building and grooming genius, seriously.   he is also an ex oval racer, over 60 and can ride like the wind.    There are stereotypes for everything....   He still wears skidoo leathers, I will give him a pass on that though :)

ACtually the OFSC did close the trails a few winters ago. Basically the same scenario as what we're expecting this weekend.

killer, it was great to see your previous post.

There is a quite a mixture of riding styles on the OFSC trails, and I certainly respect those sledders who have the skill and inclination to ride hard and to the right. Doubly so if they also help out their snowmobile club and therefore appreciate all the work that goes into maintaining trail conditions!

I haven't yet experienced the Dorset area trails, but it is on my bucket list for this winter.

Meanwhile, I'll have to look into getting myself some riding leathers.

Happy Trails.

ACtually the OFSC did close the trails a few winters ago. Basically the same scenario as what we're expecting this weekend.

I really think it should be done. The trails could be killer if we let them soak up moisture and refreeze

killer, it was great to see your previous post.

There is a quite a mixture of riding styles on the OFSC trails, and I certainly respect those sledders who have the skill and inclination to ride hard and to the right. Doubly so if they also help out their snowmobile club and therefore appreciate all the work that goes into maintaining trail conditions!

I haven't yet experienced the Dorset area trails, but it is on my bucket list for this winter.

Meanwhile, I'll have to look into getting myself some riding leathers.

Happy Trails.

If I am available I'd be happy to lead a tour Blake.   I'd pass on the leathers personally, the modern sled gear is so much warmer, its breathable and waterproof.  leathers are truly history.  :)

I really think it should be done. The trails could be killer if we let them soak up moisture and refreeze

Aaron, again it will not happen and it should not happen.  If the districts agree, with the blessing of their clubs, collectively to close their trails then they will, but the weather we are looking it is nothing unusual or alarming.

Different areas are going to experience different weather and the clubs are best to determine how to classify and groom their trails.  We don't need a beurocracy telling us how to do things, trust your club to make the right choice!    I guarantee you Tall Pines and neighboring clubs will be out as soon as the temp drops to an acceptable level to continue grooming.    the good news with the forecast is we aren't going to set into a really deep freeze so things will come up great behind the drag.   This isn't the first January thaw  :)

the ofsc cannot tell clubs when to close trails unless there is some serious liability concern that affects the entire province.

you've been around long enough to know there is always a january thaw and this is most certainly NOT the worst we've seen.   There is over 4' of snow in Muskoka, 15mm or rain is only going to help things.      people need to calm down

I carry a cordless drill and selection of signs in my backpack as well as clippers, a folding saw  screws, bolts, caution tape. And up until this year the last two sleds were newer Nytro's with my standup style and goggles. Never judge the book by the cover.

Hopefully some clubs will close but it doesn't prevent dumb and dumber.

...cordless drill,  clippers, a folding saw,  screws, bolts, caution tape. .

I was hoping those ankle injuries you had last year had improved for this season...?  ;-)

I was out grooming last night near linwood and believe me it's not just young guys out tearing the trails up! Every age group has people that will rip up the trails. I had a guy last night pass me going the opposite way who needed to get onto the fresh groomed trail so bad that he almost hit the pan on my drag! And the trails were still in great shape previous to me goin through.

Archived